Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2002 7:50:25 AM EDT
With the current trend of building trucks and sport-utes to handle the road first and trails second, I was wondering how many 4x4 owners in here actually take them off road (for real, not down gravel roads).  I've always thought it fun, no matter how new or old the vehicle your driving. Besides, nothing like seeing the stares from soccer moms as you drive your mud-caked 4wd past them in their never-been-off-road-unless-I-miss-the-driveway SUVs.

Edited to add: Oops, this was supposed to be in GD, not firearms discussion.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I got a post on here somewhere.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=125292&page=2
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#2]
"It's a Jeep thing" !! I won't hessitate to take my Cherokee off the beaten path when needed.  I did alot of fourwheeling in college, broke alot of things, and had alot of fun.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I love going offroading.  The most fun I've had was on some of the 4x4 only trails in Big Bend.  Got to learn how to change a flat (caused by a cactus tearing the sidewall) in soft sand...not much fun.

Durango 360 4x4, BTW.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Less than a week of picking up my new truck...'94 Toyota 4x4 pickup...I was applying custom pinstriping....courtesy of branches and a barbed wire fence. Not even 500 miles on it at that point.

License plate says it all..."IN DA MUD"
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh Yeah!

I live in the country and our main road is a dirt county road.  Ever' day I can be seen w/ a six pack and wheelin' the backroads and lake trails.  

I drive a 2000 Nissan CC Frontier 4x4 w/ 3 inch lift and now I have a '81 CJ5.  I just broke the shift fork on the CJ this weekend, but it is now fixed.......Yipppeeeeee
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I own a '91 F-150 Lariat 4x4 w/a 351w i Take off every once in a While but i also own a Polaris Sportsman 500h.o. Running a 2500lb WARN Winch and 26" Outlaws on Cast rims so theres really no need to take my Truck offroad anymore. :D
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Going to the dunes this weekend.  Sand hills, water ponds in the flats, and some ditches to drive through.  (Rather be going to Bulletfest, but this is planned 6 months in advance.)

I bought a powerwasher because the local car wash was probably tired of piles of mud, cornstalks, weeds, etc...  
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a 90 Cherokee with over $6000 into it so I can go break things on rocks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Stoney-Point: We call that "Arizona Pinstriping". No, I'm not bashful at all about going off the beaten path, however here in AZ they really come down on you for going off trail (or off forest road). Rightfull so. You ARE, however, able to leave the road to recover downed game. I have a chainsaw, I'll cut a path if need be. What DOES chap my hide, however, is the yahoos that wait until it rains or snows then take their lifted, big tired machines out on public forest roads and tear the hell out of them. It's REAL easy to see when and where it happens, and I see it all the time here in AZ. I personally do not see the point in stopping in a foot-deep puddle and then spinning the hell out of your tires and turning it into a two-foot deep pond and/or rut. FOOLS! This leads to ROAD CLOSURES. Do that kind of shit on your own property.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I take my truck offroading every day.  85 GMC Jimmy fullsize 6 inch lift with 35 inch BFG Mud tires.  I have never managed to get it stuck.  Don't every really use the 4wd  unless I'm climbing straight up something.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought a 4x4 specifically so I could go off road. Why else ?

2001 GMC Sierra Ext.Cab 4x4 - used for hunting, camping, and shooting.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#12]
"What DOES chap my hide, however, is the yahoos that wait until it rains or snows then take their lifted, big tired machines out on public forest roads and tear the hell out of them. It's REAL easy to see when and where it happens, and I see it all the time here in AZ. I personally do not see the point in stopping in a foot-deep puddle and then spinning the hell out of your tires and turning it into a two-foot deep pond and/or rut. FOOLS! This leads to ROAD CLOSURES. Do that kind of shit on your own property."- gamesniper

Hehe, that's alright, we don't get too much rain anyway.

I love off roading.  Seems like me and my dad are working on our trucks every week because we're always tearing 'em up.  I'd say we go through 20 some odd tires a year because they are always getting cut up by rocks.  

Gamesniper, just do some searching and you'll find a nice wagon trail to have some fun onhes.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 6:13:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee that has to many branch scrap marks on it for me to care about its finish any more. I put on a Coil spring spacer lift(2") and added Jeep UpCountry springs to it(.5" to .75") with 31". It always surprise everyone I am with when & where we go. It's the only way I can really see the outdoors anymore seeing that I am in a wheelchair.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Last survey I read it was one in twenty even take their 4x4 off road.

My little SUV-ette does get to see dirt/sand about once a month, I wish I had the time for more but we just bought a house . My tiny little '98 Honda CRV has seen more off road adventure than my neighbor's CJ and Liberty Jeeps ever will - sad.

About half the soccer moms are driving fullsize 4x4 SUV's picking up junior so he doesn't have to walk the five minutes home in the sunshine. It's a status thing around here as it never snows, doesn't rain, and the roads are paved (unless you go hunting/shooting).
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I own a '91 F-150 Lariat 4x4 w/a 351w

Its not a regular cab short bed is it?  I have never seen another '91 F-150 regular cab short bed 4x4 with a 351.  
My Truck's page

I used to when there was areas around here to go.  Now all the woods and fields with trails through them are townhouses.  Now it is just when I go hunting or fishing, need to pull someone out in snow or mud.  Not a big fan of mud, did a lot of that in friends trucks before I got mine and it just tears a truck up.  Also makes repair and modification work much more difficult.  
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got a 96 Dodge Ram 4x4 with the 360. I don't go off-roading with mine, per say. I have no reason to tear it up. I depend on it for regular transportation too much.

However, I DO drive in my fields (on my ranch) and through the creek beds and through mud to get to my barn and count cows and such. I also have to use the four wheel drive to pull my 22" offshore fishing boat out of the water. It's quite big and heavy and a regular truck can't really do it.

So those of you who are all up and riled about all the soccer moms and such that never leave the pavement, and who think that a 4x4 should be used to go out "mudding" may be overlooking the real need for one. Those of us who actually use the 4x4 feature for daily/weekly/monthly work duties and activities. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be fun to go play in the mud with the big mudder tires, but for me it would just be wasteful and potentially damaging to my truck. Maybe I'm just too practical, but I don't really feel I have anything to prove by getting my truck scratched up and muddy every weekend, or whenever. But I certainly like to see others out enjoying the sport. It looks like a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Bought my wife a soccer mom 4x4.
LAND ROVER Discover II (2001 Model), biggest peice of crap on four wheels!

My Xterra runs circle around it.

Seems the British can't make a decent mechanical device to save their life. The Land Rovers break down almost as much as ther SA-80 Bullpup rifle malfunctions.

God save the Queen and all the rot!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top