Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/15/2013 6:11:42 AM EDT
I have always sized new brass but I always read Lapua is the cream of the crop. I'm wondering if it is really needed prior to loading it up.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:23:32 AM EDT
I use Lapua brass exclusively for 1000 yard competition. I use their .308 Palma and .260 Remington brass.

I have sized some new brass before use, and skipped the sizing on some other batches. I have noticed no difference at the target associated with either practice.

However, after firing once and then neck sizing, the rounds get more consistent than when new.

Conclusion: Size, or don't size, doesn't seem to matter in my experience. Once (or more) fired brass is better for precision loads than brand new brass.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:06:16 AM EDT
It's a long bumpy ride from Finland to your loading bench. Lapua is the best, but even the best can get dinged and dented necks during shipping. I at least neck size all New brass including Lapua. Once the case mouths are all nice and round I chamfer , deburr and uniform the primer pockets.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:57:51 AM EDT
I have two boxes of their .223 match brass, and haven't found the need to size any of the brass.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:20:19 PM EDT
Never sized a single one of the 1000 case batch I got. I had zero problems shooting loading/shooting them. Surprisingly I had no dented case mouths. But for safety you should always resize new brass.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:07:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By steve4102:
It's a long bumpy ride from Finland to your loading bench. Lapua is the best, but even the best can get dinged and dented necks during shipping. I at least neck size all New brass including Lapua. Once the case mouths are all nice and round I chamfer , deburr and uniform the primer pockets.

I run all of my brass through the same process. New or used
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:43:52 PM EDT
Always FL resize new brass. It does not matter what brand.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:46:11 PM EDT
Bushing bump neck size at a minimum.

dc.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:18:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2013 6:19:25 PM EDT by tallamong]
Try a few. If it runs through the die very easily than it is good.

My experiance is that some of the new brass will be okay and some will benefit from a run through. I do that for all the new brass I use too.

If you are competition loading you should do the same thing for each round which means resizing them all new so when you RE-load they are the same.
Top Top