Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2003 5:37:35 PM EDT
How many people here have guns that are truly rare?  I'm talking about guns like the Portuguese Navy Luger,  a Singer 1911, a 5-Screw S&W .44 Magnum.  I'm not talking about pre-ban semi-autos, of which there are millions.  Who's got'em?  What do you have?...Got pictures?  

I hope to be picking up a 1958 Model 29 4-Screw in beautiful condition next week.  Not terribly rare, but I'm not buying a 5-Screw until I find one in person.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, the closest thing I have that kinda may someday be "rare" is a S&W 629 powerport, with a 2 digit serial number, Does that count?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt's New BlackPowder line, introduced around '95....serial #1 + #2. Both Walker's. Does that count?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]
A combination of both. Some of the rarer pre-ban stuff (Steyr AUG, etc)...and some of the truly rare stuff, some of which I own, some of which my Father owns (M1-Ds, 1903A4s, a couple WIN-13's, some original M1 Carbines including a paratrooper, M97 Shotguns, etc)...

I tend to collect the more modern/"rare" things, he tends to go for the older stuff. I'm starting to get his older martial arms bug, though.

Generally thought: If we can't pick it up and take it to the range (Including the muskets)...why bother? I had/have a NIB Norinco underfolding AK, got it a couple years ago. First thing I did when I got it, was clean it. Wiped all the grease off.

Second thing I did, was shoot it.

If you're going to get it, why not use it?

The truly rare stuff (A US stamped Johnson rifle? Haven't seen one yet) I might not be tempted to shoot. Haven't seen a Pederson Device, either (Tho we have a couple 1903 Mark I's we're dying to try)...

As far as "modern" rare things go (Walther WA2000, SIG 550/551's)...Nah. I'd love to have one, but not at those prices, not if I can't shoot it and enjoy it. Not that I'd mind one if one was handed to me for free.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Well not rare, but definately not black rifles: Very nice Winchester Model 21 side by side 12 gauge. May even shoot it someday, I have been told they are wonderfull shotguns.
Also Ruger .357 single six of the 3 screw variety. Agin not rare but not blackguns either
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am the lucky owner of an M1A1 Thompson registered FA.

What makes it unique is that I also have the 1911 (not a1) issued to the same soldier.  He carried the exact same guns all through the war, including Battle of the Bulge.

Maybe not a true "collector's gun" but I like the history of it and the fact one of the Greatest Generation used it to protect my freedom.  Makes it special to me.  Come to Bulletfest and fire a mag or two through the old beast!!

See, now this is interesting.  Do you have some kind of documentation and history of the soldier?  
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Of my former accumulation/collection I have three in a museum.  One is one of five known to be in the US and the other two are two of 200 manufactured over forty years ago - no way to tell how many are still around today. One of those two one is NIB and the only NIB known to exist.

Now did I know exactly what I was doing when I acquired two of the three ??  That answer would be no.  On the third I did know but the seller didn't know.  (Even on the third I called about buying one gun and in the conversation found out he had the rare NIB gun.)
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No, damn it!  Just verbal story and picture of the late hero that carried it.  His widow is still alive - I want very much for her to write it for me!!  The documentation adds value.  The story suits me just fine with or without.  I just want the story to live on as a memorial to the MAN that carried it.

M. Mouse, what would be great is for her to let you do a video interview.  If she was willing, of course.  A way for her former husband's story to live past her, you and live for generations.  (I do understand that you would care little for dollars added but that story tied to that firearms would only be wonderful history !!)

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess I accumulate guns, but there is usually a rational as to what I want to "collect" next.  I have a Colt Woodsman 1st edition that has some "collector" value, but even that isn't much.  My "collection" is what I find interesting and collectable to my interests.  That is far more valuable to me than collector value.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#12]
"Resistance is futile, you will be accumulated" .......sorry couldn't resist
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Neither. I shoot them!

I have my grandpa's Model 12 Winchester shotgun from the 1930s. It lacks a rib on the barrel. I also will obtain (hopefully a long time from now...I want him around a long time to come) my grandpa's .32 ACP Colt pocket pistol. That's about the only two "rare" guns I have, and they sit in the safe. My SAR-2 is semi-rare I guess, considering the custom work on it. My Model 627 Performance Center revolver fits the mold too I guess.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#14]
when your're into firearms this phrase certainly sums it up...

"One man's junk is another man's treasure"

that's what's makes this hobby so interesting.. I for one know very little about hunting weapons but a lot about military weapons. I have a friend who is the exact opposite. I really don't get into cowboy style guns but do own a few lever actions (which I go into because of the AWB...plus thy are fun!)I can remember being at a local range several years ago and struck up a conversation with the guy in the next stall. I'd never shot a big bore six gun.. he'd never shot a Glock.. well we fixed that after a few minutes of talking. Neither of us ran out and bought one after that but it sure was fun...

"collecting" guns, on second thought, is probably best summarized by the following phrase:

"whatever trips your trigger!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top