Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 11:44:53 AM EDT
I have a set of old (not sure how old) FL 264 win dies, i loaded up 10 rounds (my first ever, yay) using Nosler accubonds, when i seated the bullets, and checked the OAL i noticed the polymer tip was crushed down a little bit and flatted. Nothing extreme but noticable. Do i need a new set of dies, i was thinking that old dies might not be compatable with polymer tips? Are news designed to not crush the tip?
any help would be great.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
what brand dies?  You could just get a new seating stem.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I would disassemble and clean the dies , there may be some debris in there causing the flattening, if that doesn't solve the problem modify the seating stem
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
they are old Herters dies, i completely deep cleaned them when i got them, how do you modify the seating stem. Do you just get replacement parts?
thanks
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
You probably are thinking right that the old die is not really designed for use with the very pointed polymer tip bullets. Getting a different seating stem for a Herters die might be a problem unless another manufacturer's part will work. I believe Herters has been out of the die business for years.

I'd be inclined to take the die apart and check out the inside of the seating stem. Maybe you can modify it so that it doesn't squash the polymer tip. Than again, if it's pretty minor, maybe it's not worth messing with. How do the loads shoot? Do you have any reason to think that the deformed tip is hurting accuracy or performance?

As far as how to modify the die, it might be possible to get up into the part of the seating stem and relieve it so the die doesn't put pressure on the tip of the bullet, only the ogive.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top