Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2012 10:52:57 PM EDT
Hello all,

I want to submerge parts in acetone for a bit and was hoping someone could tell me which type I need.  I have seen the mild steel ones for doing hot bluing as well as the stainless steel versions.  

I do not intend to do bluing.
It is possible that one day I may do parkerizing.
I currently want to use the tanks for acetone.

Thanks for the help.
AKFF

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 3:28:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a fiberglass tank I purchased from Brownells a few years ago. Works great.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow.  I wouldn't have thought of that.  Probably less for me to have shipped up here as well.

I have always sprayed acetone and but would like to do the more effective dipping method during prep work.  How long do you leave it in the acetone?  Do you reuse the same acetone or is it a one dip and done kind of thing?
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I've let parts sit overnight in the acetone and then at other times just a few hours. Didn't seem to make any difference. If the parts I'm cleaning were very oily or dirty I wouldn't reuse that acetone on gun parts again. Acetone is cheap enough and I don't want to have to redo the work all over again because I used dirty acetone.

I usually reuse the old acetone cleaning truck parts or something like that so it doesn't go to waste. It also evaporates quickly so it doesn't last very long.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the reply.  I'm having trouble finding the correct fiberglass tanks.  I am looking for a small, medium and large.  

If I have a friend weld up some tanks for me what metal should I use?    Is anyone able to answer the SS versus other metal question for me?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I let parts sit for at least 35 minutes then bake them to make sure all the solvent is gone. I got a stainless steel tank for Christmas.

Stainless tanks
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#6]
For small tanks/pans you can also try a restaurant supply house and ask for steam table pans. They come in various sizes..
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I let parts sit for at least 35 minutes then bake them to make sure all the solvent is gone. I got a stainless steel tank for Christmas.

Stainless tanks

Once I take the parts from the acetone I let them sit for a few minutes and then they go into the abrasive cabinet and get blasted, then from there right into the parkerizing tank.

I bought a tank similar to those on Ebay last summer.. It works great..
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome.  Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For small tanks/pans you can also try a restaurant supply house and ask for steam table pans. They come in various sizes..

Yep. I've used these a lot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:33:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I wanted to submerge some handgun parts in acetone as well.  I needed something that would hold acetone for as long as I wanted.  

So I cut off the top of the gallon can of acetone.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wanted to submerge some handgun parts in acetone as well.  I needed something that would hold acetone for as long as I wanted.  

So I cut off the top of the gallon can of acetone.

Lol.  Nice.  I just got a quote of 400 for a small, medium and large SS with lids, drains and a 1 parts basket.   I'll be going that route.  I'll post a review when I get them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top