Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/13/2001 12:10:44 PM EDT
Trying to get all my ducks in a row for purchasing a AR kit. Emailed Model "1" Sales and they said their barrels are heavy Wilson match grade barrels, but are not chrome lined......do I want a chrome barrel? Or should I be looking at somebody's elses kits?

Thank you.

vmax84
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:34:16 PM EDT
Yes you do.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:36:00 PM EDT
I was in the same situation.I called around to those companies selling kits and barreled uppers and found they were all chrome-moly not chrome lined.I found Bushmaster was the only one selling chrome-lined barrels.www.sherluk.com did offer chrome lined barrels with their kits for $50 extra.As I'm sure any chrome-moly barrel would be just fine for me, I did buy a Bushmaster chrome lined barrel for the extra durability and ease of cleaning that chrome lining is supposed to offer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 12:56:01 PM EDT
EASY!! You don't want one that isn't
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:25:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2001 1:19:15 PM EDT by fight4yourrights]
Typical barrels are 4140 chromoly steel, no chromelining. This is fairly corrosion resistant steel.

A non-chrome lined *could* be a bit more accurate, assuming it's a quality barrel.

Bushmaster uses the tougher 4150 steel and chrome lines the bore and chamber, just like the military specifies.

Tougher steel = longer life

chrome lining = longer life, easier cleaning, more reliable

Also, most barrels out there are using the Saami .223 chamber, whereas Bushmaster uses the looser 5.56mm chamber. This aids in extraction.

What you want really depends on what you need.

A good chromelined barrel will outshoot (accuracy) a mediocre non-lined barrel. The best barrels (match) won't be lined. Military barrels specify the lining for the reasons I stated above.

You might get 2X the life out of the 4150 chromelined barrel, but most folks will never shoot out a barrel anyway.

You pays yer money, you makes yer choices.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:33:23 PM EDT
If you want accuracy, I mean SUB MOA type accuracy, you need a non-chromed lined match barrel. Personally, I have a Krieger but that may be overkill. If you want an assualt/plinker than definetly get chrome lined.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 1:49:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 2:58:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 3:05:09 PM EDT
I could see a non-chromed barrel for a match or varmint type rifle and I mean a top quality barrel like Krieger (not Wilson). On a utility or SUR type rifle I would demand chrome lining, that's why I did not buy the LEGP.

Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:01:03 PM EDT
I am new to this site and to the AR. I have herd a lot of talk concerning this topic even before I went out and got my first AR. I ended up buying a RRA with a 20" stainless barrel but am not convinced they are more accrete than chromed barrels. My brother in law has a bushmaster with a 16" barrel and in my hands it groups as good as mine but that could be the shooter and not the barrel. The question I have is how is the chrome lined barrel made. Is the chrome of even thickness,is the Rifling cut before or after the Chrome is applied Etc?
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:06:30 PM EDT
Chrome line will provide a little help to your bore if you decide to light it up with a beta drum in full auto.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 6:20:20 PM EDT
I know that chrome lined barrels (or chrome itself) have a higher "lubricity" as compared to steel. In other words; there is less friction between the bullet and the inner barrel (so chrome lined barrels are harder and produce less heat per shot).
I often wondered what, if any, effect this had on general ballistics, bullet spin, and accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 7:15:38 PM EDT
bobbyfen is right; if you are building/buying a varminter that you need every bit of accuracy out of, you DO want a Top Quality barrel and you DO NOT want chrome lining.

Pretty much everything else chrome lined is good for you. They will last longer than pure steel but like another poster said, if you shoot out a barrel you are doing LOTS of shooting or you are VERY HARD on your rifle. (i.e. lot and lots and lots of ammo through the barrel in a short amount of time.)

So to recap;
Varminter/Target shooter = No Chrome
anything else = Chrome is good...

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/13/2001 7:34:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2001 7:29:15 PM EDT by Boomholzer]

Varminter/Target shooter = No Chrome
many rnds fired = Chrome is good...

I have accepted the same edict.

Anyone want to expand on the details why??????
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:56:46 AM EDT
I have a "Coyote Rifle" that is a Bushmaster flat-top with a free-floated 26" Bushmaster fluted chrome-lined barrel that shoots 1/2 moa groups (off bipod with scope). I certainly don't need any better accuracy than that. And I like the extra "durability" of the chrome lining. If I don't clean it for a couple days after firing, I'm not worried about the bore.

Don't buy a junk barrel. Stick with Bushmaster or one of the good stainless match barrels.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:08:29 AM EDT
yes
Top Top