Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2011 8:01:10 PM EDT
Just went halves on 8lbs of 2520 for my .308 gas gun (ar type).  The reloading manual (speer #14) say to use magnum primers fopr this powder.  I have just under 700 left of CCI 34's.  Can I use these primers RELIABLY for this powder in a mil. style gas gun?
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Just went halves on 8lbs of 2520 for my .308 gas gun (ar type).  The reloading manual (speer #14) say to use magnum primers fopr this powder.  I have just under 700 left of CCI 34's.  Can I use these primers RELIABLY for this powder in a mil. style gas gun?

34's are magnums.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Well now I feel full of the DERP!!

Thanks for the reply.  I was mistakenly under the impression that they were "military" large rifle primers and harder to "set off" i.e. not magnums.

Again, Thanks

Fc2
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

When I was exploring which powder to use in my 223 loads one of the powders I tried was AA2520, it does NOT require magnum primers.

I burned up a full pound of it exploring that powder, the testing included running them through the chronograph, if there are any ignition issues the chronograph will show them, no problems at all using standard Winchester small rifle primers.

I ended up picking AA2460, which a lot of load data specs magnum primers as well, and I use the standard Winchester small rifle primers with excellent results.
But IIRC Winchester only makes one type of SRP and it's closer to a Magnum because Winchester's powders are all ball powder.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Speer, in all of their load data, uses magnum primers with ball powders.

It's just what they've found, works best for their testing.

It's not an absolute.

Chris

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When I was exploring which powder to use in my 223 loads one of the powders I tried was AA2520, it does NOT require magnum primers.

I burned up a full pound of it exploring that powder, the testing included running them through the chronograph, if there are any ignition issues the chronograph will show them, no problems at all using standard Winchester small rifle primers.

I ended up picking AA2460, which a lot of load data specs magnum primers as well, and I use the standard Winchester small rifle primers with excellent results.

Same here... I have used non-mag primers of various brands over the years with AA2230 and W-748 with no issues.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

But IIRC Winchester only makes one type of SRP and it's closer to a Magnum because Winchester's powders are all ball powder.

I believe you are right, the WSR's are the hottest non-mag(non-labeled anyway) primer you can buy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top