Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2003 6:09:09 AM EDT

I am trying to keep my arsenal small, while being able to perform as many tasks as possible with what I have once the SHTF, if it ever does.

I have an M14S arriving at the local fun store today, and I already own an M-1 Garand and a Gibbs Enfield .303.

I am keeping the Garand around for several obvious reasons (its a GARAND, fer chrissakes!), one of which is that I have 60 rounds of AP stocked, just in case I ever need to shoot through a brick wall, disable an engine block, etc.

The .303 is my truck gun, but I almost never shoot it, because .303 is hard to find locally, and expensive when I do.  

The M14S will be my battle rifle.

The last thing I think I really need is a long range setup with good optics.  I was thinking about maybe a Rem 700 in .30-06, to keep the calibers down to a minimum, and for the true long range power of the .30-06 cartridge

However, the more I think about it, I would really just like to save money and stick with what I have.  One less gun to become proficient with, to stock parts, optics, sling, etc.

Could I/should I maybe mount a scope on the M-14, or even the M1 and go with that, or will that fail me when I really need it?  Maybe scope the .303?  I don't see how a $275 bolt gun can give me good accuracy past 400 yards without some serious gunsmithing.

All comments are appreciated, please keep in mind I am on a limited budget ($300/wk income), and still need to attend some pistol and rifle courses, and stock up on mags, ammo, and all that.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:29:22 AM EDT
Most scope mounts for the M14/M1A will allow you to use your iron sights if the need arises without removing the mount.

I just picked up a Remington 700 PSS in 308 (because I found it at a good price) but before that deal popped up, I was planning on getting a Savage 10FP in 308.  Very nice trigger and great shooter.  It doesn't break the bank at about $450 new.  It may work well for you not only because of the price, but if you get it in 308, it can share ammo with your M14 - less ammo to stock.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:52:27 AM EDT
If you can find a good mount for it, scope the .303. The Brits used them for snioer duty until the middle of last decade. They're great rifles, and are very fast and accurate. A medium power scope would suit that gun just nicely.
Top Top