Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2016 4:15:43 PM EDT
What's the hive thinking about this thing.

$265

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Do it you will not regret it!
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Love mine and I also load 223 with it the case feeder can be tweeked to do 223 and shorter rifle.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:23:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure to do the research on what adapters are necessary to convert it to each case you need.  

You may find it cheaper to sell yours and buy a 650.  I think this is why my neighbor sold his 550 a week after he bought it to buy a 650.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 1:38:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I load 3k rounds of each 9mm and 223 per year.  

650 is hard to justify after went through the numbers.  It would cost me $986 to get a 650.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure to do the research on what adapters are necessary to convert it to each case you need.  

You may find it cheaper to sell yours and buy a 650.  I think this is why my neighbor sold his 550 a week after he bought it to buy a 650.  
View Quote

This is just why I did not buy a 650 the 5 rounds I load on my 550 with a total of 6 tool heads. 2 for 223.I it would have cost a ton of money and even shooting 8k rounds a year I can load more than I need in the winter months.

With the case feeder I can clear 600 rounds and reload all the primer tubs in less than an hour.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I had planned on attempting this. It looks doable. Adjusting the height of the universal decapper and milling a 32 or 38 cal conversion funnel looks to be all it takes.  Maybe tweek the timing of the ram?
View Quote

I use a 223 case funnel from 650 the white one "they are the same" and a 9mm feed plate "the part the case slides over" from my 9mm 550 set.  That was all I needed to do other than play with the decamp pin to keep it long enough to pop out the primer but short enough that the case would feed under it.  

I did not change the timing at all.

Also I will say that you need to be smooth with 223 or the case tend to tip over but when I get going it works well.

I run a universal decap in spot one and a Dillon size die and rt1200 spot 3  Second tool head is a M die then powder then  seat and then crimp.  I just picked up a swage it to add next time I run 223.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I do my case prep during the year only reload during the winter, so on my 550B, the first hole is always empty.

I use vinegar soak the spent cases to get rid of dirt and crap, case lube in gallon size ziploc bags, size/decap on a Lee breech lock single stage.

Wet tumble with stainless pins, oven dry, sort, then run through Dillon Super Swage for those once fired cases.

I don't trim anymore, if the brass neck looks a bit long, I'd pitch it, never bother to check.  I took the "when in doubt, throw it out" approach and it has been working out pretty good for me.

I got it down to have probably 1 stoppage per 500 rounds.

I have at least 3000(5 gallon pail) ready to go at any time.  

Now back to this feeder, other than what's come in the box, what do I need to order in order to run both 9mm and 223?  Part name, part numbers?

My only local Dillon dealer(55 miles away) doesn't stock this and have never set one up himself either.

Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#10]
9mm caliber conversion #14284
The only extra part you need is #13575

and reuse the locater plate from you 9mm caliber conversion.

edit to add that you will also need a small pistol plate and a small rifle plate.  you should order your case feeder with the small pistol and buy the small rifle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like mine. Takes a bit of tweaking to get running smoothly.
You can also get it to load 300blk. So that helps from having to switch back to rifle so much.
View Quote
This is it's weakness, the activating linkage is 'fiddley' as the press wasn't designed for it from the beginning.  Add to that the fact that it won't do rifle calibers and that you have to buy the casefeeder caliber conversion separately and you're better off with a 650.

I had a 550B and used it for 4+ years but wanted a casefeeder.  So I checked the prices and decided to clean up my 550B, offer it for sale (offered at 80% current price and it sold in 2 minutes), and then bought a new 650 + casefeeder.  Smartest move I ever made as back then I only loaded 40 and 45 + .223 and now I load 7 pistol and 9 rifle calibers.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is it's weakness, the activating linkage is 'fiddley' as the press wasn't designed for it from the beginning.  Add to that the fact that it won't do rifle calibers and that you have to buy the casefeeder caliber conversion separately and you're better off with a 650.

I had a 550B and used it for 4+ years but wanted a casefeeder.  So I checked the prices and decided to clean up my 550B, offer it for sale (offered at 80% current price and it sold in 2 minutes), and then bought a new 650 + casefeeder.  Smartest move I ever made as back then I only loaded 40 and 45 + .223 and now I load 7 pistol and 9 rifle calibers.
View Quote

true unless like me I had everything but the case feeder for my 550 so all I needed was the case feeder and 3.5 conversions and I was off and running.  The over thing I think is very nice about the 550 case feeder is it makes in much harder to double charge a case as it stops when you try to feed a second case in to slot one if you have not advanced the shell plate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top