Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2009 5:54:39 AM EDT
I am looking at getting a Dillon 550 B reloader. Besides their basic package I was wondering what else I would need? I have a bunch of sets of dies already.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Consider a case feeder - I have one on my 650 and would not be without it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:08:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have anything more than just the dies or are you starting from scratch?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:10:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Lee Loader right now, just looking for something that will do a little more work a little easier.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you already an experienced loader?  If so, I'd assume you have the rest of the stuff and just need the press setup.

The roller handle is a very nice upgrade, I recommend it.  You will need caliber conversion kits to go with your dies.  This is the shellplate, locator buttons and powder/expanding die.  I would get extra toolheads, as they're pretty reasonable, and will allow you to keep your dies adjusted.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:13:56 AM EDT
[#5]
You'll need the kits to change calibers, I found I HAD to have a powder die for each too.  It's a total pita if you don't.
 I don't have a case feeder, maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but I don't plan on getting one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Then the spare parts kit on the right side of this page might be useful.  Also, a set of hex wrenches is helpful.

Kit

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:09:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Go to Brian Enos' site and check this out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the advice and the link!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Do not get the case feeder for the 550......it is only meant for handgun rounds......The 550 is plenty fast without the case feeder.  If you already have die sets.....then I suggest you seperate crimp dies.....let your seater seat and have dedicated crimping die for handgun rounds....
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#10]
better yet, call Brian Enos, he picks up the phone himself.  He is a straight shooter and will hook you up.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#11]
You will need a scale to set the powder measure.

Also a caliper for general use and setting OAL of rounds.

Case prep tools, deburer, primer pocket cleaner, primer pocket reamer (for crimped primers).

Rifle rounds, a trimmer.

Most important,  a couple of reloading manuals.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You will need a scale to set the powder measure.

Also a caliper for general use and setting OAL of rounds.

Case prep tools, deburer, primer pocket cleaner, primer pocket reamer (for crimped primers).

Rifle rounds, a trimmer.

Most important,  a couple of reloading manuals.

You'll need to read at least one of the manuals if you're just starting out.  I had asked if you had experience loading already, and didn't see an answer.  If not, I'd recommend starting off loading single stage, till you're comfortable with the steps in the process.  I do think if you're going to start with a progressive, the 550 is the right machine.  It is way easier to run single cases through the process without case feed and auto index.  You can even back up if you need to.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Have you thought about a 650?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:02:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes I do have experience reloading with a single stage and have a few books. I am just looking to up grade to do some 147gr 9mm and some .223.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top