Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2012 7:43:06 PM EDT
I just got a SDB as a gift from my dad. I've been looking into reloading for a while now, doing the research and reading and prep work. Unfortunately, due to a miscommunication, my press arrived tuned for 9mm, but I really want to start with .38spcl. Of course I have pistols in 9mm, .45 and so on, but I have a lot of revolvers in .38/.357 and I never shoot them because ammo is so steep. I figured that would be a great place to start my reloading journey.

I'm looking at buying the .38 caliber conversion kit and the toolhead, but keeping the original, since I'd like to eventually press 9mm (as well as .45acp and .44spcl)

Experienced loaders- am I right in thinking .38 will be a better place to start? Or should I go back through my readings and start getting familiar with the 9mm loads? I don't mind having both sets on hand, I'm just not ready for semi-auto volume just yet. Besides, I have revolvers with various barrel lengths and figured I could work up loads for them pretty easily.

Also, is the caliber conversion as easy as it looks? I've read the manuals and watched the videos. Is it something a novice can tackle?

Thanks very much in advance!
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks very much. I've scoured and reread the links up top. I'm acquiring tools now. I still need a good set of calipers and a good scale. And thats all before brass, projectiles, primers and powder selection!

I read through ABCs of Reloading, an older Lyman handbook, currently going through Modern Reloading (2nd ed) and waiting on a Speer and Hogden. I understand the principles, and while I'm itching to get going, I'm seriously in no hurry. I have a great shop right near by with nearly everything I could need (King's Shooters Supply / Better Bullets). They have the conversion kit (I was there this afternoon) so I may swing through this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Cheers! I'll report back once I'm under way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top