Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 11:19:42 AM EDT
What design differences are there between an HK91 and a JLD PTR91? I understand the HK has a floated barrel; does the JLD? Do all G3's?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Well I don't know about the " floated" barrel but I can say that the PTR 91 is one hell of a well made rifle (except for the cheesy plastic stock-but that can be remedied.)  I have owned an HK 91 and can tell you that the overall finish and fit of the PTR is right up there with the HK.  I own 2 PTR's and both shoot very well from the shoulder position.  I have not had a chance for precision shooting but have heard/read good stuff (Onlymusic has posted on some HK sites about his PTR's accuracy)  Soo I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:46:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Both Guns can have floated bbls (depends if the end cap is the larger deeper which locks the bbl to the triple frame (then not free floated) or the shorter tapered end cap which covers the hole, but doesn't touch the bbl (free floated)

The biggest mechanical difference is the bbl.  HK uses a bbl with a taper, while the JDL is more of a Bull bbl with constant thickness to the sight mounting.

Both guns shoot great.

I really like my JDL PTR and think it is the equal of the HK

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a few differences I know of :

1.Heavy barrel for the JLD.

2.Barrel is not hammer forged like the original HK barrels,
it's button rifled.Most proffesional shooters agree that the
button rifled barrel is inherently more accurate.

3.PTR Bore has 10 flutes instead of the 12 the HK has.
This is to decrease the kick of the rifle.JLD calculated that
the reduction would decrease back pressure without a measurable
effect on reliability. ( A comparison test proved it to me)

4.JLD's newer Receivers have additional supports in them to strengthen them
(Unfortunately ,if you want a paddle mag release ,you must remove
one of them )

5.The JLD cocking handle is an improved version.It's broader and
shaped better to fit your left hand.
I've directly compared,IMHO ,the JLD handle is easier on your hands.

6.If I remember correctly ,the trigger card is larger to allow the use of
thicker gloves.

7.The JLD rear sight diopter has a peep for the 100 yard position instead
of the HK battle sight.
Some prefer the HK battle sight ,but I prefer the all peep version from JLD.

These are just a few I can remember right now,there's a few more I think.

Quite a few who I know have done side by side tests using the same ammo
have said the JLD has a hair of an accuracy advantage ,while the HK
is considerably lighter and easier to shoot freestanding because of the
standard HK barrel.

The HK may also have a hair of an ejection  dependability advantage because
of the flutes , but once the JLD's are fully broken in I've never seen one jam or FTE.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you post a pic of a fired case from that rifle?  I'd love to have purchase one but with a fluted chamber, isn't reloading impossible?
Thanx
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#5]
You can reload fluted cases... they just look like hell...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I remember reading (maybe here) that JLD does not "shelve" the trigger group or pack properly.  Something about a shim somewhere?  Can someone tell me exactly what that means and is it a bad thing?  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You can reload fluted cases... they just look like hell...

you have to be careful, as some really get torn up..and if you reload them ..only do it once or TWICE....MAX... past that it can be dangerous
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#8]
about $ 2000
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
about $ 2000

just a minor difference haha  

JLD makes an amazing rifle
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
about $ 2000

just a minor difference haha  

JLD makes an amazing rifle

Ditto!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#11]

I remember reading (maybe here) that JLD does not "shelve" the trigger group or pack properly. Something about a shim somewhere? Can someone tell me exactly what that means and is it a bad thing?

Shimming the trigger pack is only necessary if you're putting a full auto pack on the gun.  What happens is the shelf on the receiver may not be in the exact right spot.  If it's too low then the arm in the trigger pack that trips when the bolt is fully forward on a full auto pack won't trip properly.  If that arm doesn't trip then you can't fire the gun because the hammer won't fall.  In those cases you have to put a shim of metal between the trigger pack and the shelf to raise the pack enough that the arm will trip on the bolt carrier.

If you're not using a full auto trigger pack then you don't need to worry about it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#12]

about $ 2000

I would say the price difference is no longer $2000 but that's probably due in large part to the fact that JLD makes such a nice rifle that people can't charge as much for the real HK.  I bought an HK-91 in awesome shape for $1800 recently.  With JLD making such nice copies of the HK there is much less pressure on the real HKs out there so demand goes down and so does price.  Thanks JLD!!

I also own a PTR-91A1, btw and it's an awesome weapon.  Easily as good as the HK for anyone who's not hung up on the marking on the receiver that says "made in germany".
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:41:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I have never heard of a shelf problem with JLD receivers, only with Vector and SW guns. Not saying it hasn't happened or anything.

The 91 is heavy to begin with and the JLD is even heavier
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I remember reading (maybe here) that JLD does not "shelve" the trigger group or pack properly. Something about a shim somewhere? Can someone tell me exactly what that means and is it a bad thing?

Shimming the trigger pack is only necessary if you're putting a full auto pack on the gun.  What happens is the shelf on the receiver may not be in the exact right spot.  If it's too low then the arm in the trigger pack that trips when the bolt is fully forward on a full auto pack won't trip properly.  If that arm doesn't trip then you can't fire the gun because the hammer won't fall.  In those cases you have to put a shim of metal between the trigger pack and the shelf to raise the pack enough that the arm will trip on the bolt carrier.

If you're not using a full auto trigger pack then you don't need to worry about it.

This may not be entirely true, as some people had ejection problems due to the shelf being too low, or the trigger pack being trimmed too much leading to a sloppy fit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have never heard of a shelf problem with JLD receivers, only with Vector and SW guns. Not saying it hasn't happened or anything.

+34597345

its a f'in BEAST with weight
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+34597345

its a f'in BEAST with weight

Yep, my JLD fully configured with my setup weighs in a whopping 12 lbs
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
about $ 2000

I would say the price difference is no longer $2000 but that's probably due in large part to the fact that JLD makes such a nice rifle that people can't charge as much for the real HK.  I bought an HK-91 in awesome shape for $1800 recently.  With JLD making such nice copies of the HK there is much less pressure on the real HKs out there so demand goes down and so does price.  Thanks JLD!!

I agree with AllanW. This is what I found:
I recently shopped my HK-91 thinking I would sell it since I don't shoot it anymore.
Since I have my  PTR and a CETME (that works) I find the HK relegated to safe queen status.
So when I shopped it around I found "real money" figures of $1,600 to 1,800 for the gun.
There may be stores pricing them for $2,400 or so still but they rarely get  over $2K.

This may be just in my area since there seem to be quite a few for sale. In fact last November
I attended an estate auction and a HK-93 (which is a lot harder to find than a HK-91) went
for $1,500 plus buyers fees.

In any case the JLD PTRs have affected the real HKs price by dropping it down several hundreds of dollars due to lessened demand.  I do think the PTRs are the best value in a 308 battle rifle
out there today.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
about $ 2000

I agree with AllanW. This is what I found:
I recently shopped my HK-91 thinking I would sell it since I don't shoot it anymore.
Since I have my  PTR and a CETME (that works) I find the HK relegated to safe queen status.
So when I shopped it around I found "real money" figures of $1,600 to 1,800 for the gun.
There may be stores pricing them for $2,400 or so still but they rarely get  over $2K.

This may be just in my area since there seem to be quite a few for sale. In fact last November
I attended an estate auction and a HK-93 (which is a lot harder to find than a HK-91) went
for $1,500 plus buyers fees.

In any case the JLD PTRs have affected the real HKs price by dropping it down several hundreds of dollars due to lessened demand.  I do think the PTRs are the best value in a 308 battle rifle
out there today.

+1  I see HK 91s being Advertised for $2000+  but I never actually see them sell for that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top