Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/3/2010 3:09:11 AM EDT
I purchased a sig 556 clasic and unfortunetly it did not shoot straight. I sent it back to sig and they sent me a replacement rifle. The first thing I noticed different was the born on date, the older one was March 2010, the new one June 2010. When I opened the box the case this time was black instead of blue, ok not so different. This time though the charging handle was in the pistol grip instead of attached. I guess they just ship them different now, ok not so big of a deal. Next I noticed that the rear sling stud was not on a swivel, it was just permanently attached to the side of the upper receiver. Also the rifle finish looked different from the first one. The new sig red dot that came with the newer rifle came with a screen on the front this time, the older one did not. My main concern is, is sig changing the 556, are these the newest tweaks? Or did I get a refurbished older rifle? Also why do away with the rear sling swivel, and go with a permanently attached one? Personally I liked the March version better, but I haven't shot the June one yet. We will see.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:32:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2010 4:34:52 AM EDT by C_Swimm]
First off, the charging handle gets shipped in the pistol grip now because before when it was shipped sticking out of the side of the rifle it was tearing up the foam inside the case. I think this also caused them to shift around more in the case and some got damaged.

The sling mount on the rear is a new change. Not sure about your previous sling swivel. I have only seen the sling swivel on the 522. My older Classic had no sling mounting point at the rear of the receiver, but my new one has the steel loop. It's good that they put a sling point here now in front of the stock because attaching a sling to the rear of a folding stock just causes all kinds of entanglement issues. I for one think the addition of this sling loop is an improvement and it is easily removed with little cosmetic effect for those that don't like it.

The finish on my new 556's lower one seemed lighter in shade than my older one. I applied a heavy coat of gun oil all over the lower and let it sit for a day or so before wiping it down. Now it matches the look of my older one and the shade of the upper. I don't think they changed the finish, but that they are shipping the lower pretty dry.

There has been a change in the red dot. The original ones looked a little closer to an Aimpoint Micro, but the newer version looks a little less so. The surfaces of the sight's body look more angular now. The first one wasn't the greatest but it was somewhat usable. The newer version looks even cheaper to me, but I doubt the quality could have gone down much.

Oh and my new one came with a black box too. My older one and my 522 both came with blue. I guess black is the color now. Doesn't make a difference to me as I don't use the factory cases. Once I get the rifles home the case goes under the bed and stays there until the day I might decide to sell the rifle. I doubt that would happen though as I love both my 556s and my 522.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 7:56:30 AM EDT
Its been so long I don't remember if my blue case says "SIgSauer" embossed in the plastic mold, but does the new black case say anything? Maybe they ran out of blue and are using a generic case in the mean time. Or maybe customers complained that blue wasn't "tactical" enough.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:50:32 PM EDT
I think that the blue one wasn't tacticool enough. It is exactly like the blue case except black. If these are the newest tweeks then hey we will see how it shoots this weekend and call it a done deal if all is well. So far with the laser bore sighter the front post went all the way to the left. I just pray this one shoots straight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:45:12 AM EDT
This thread is useless without pics!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:07:50 AM EDT
I have heard of several folks having sight in problems with march guns.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:41:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2010 12:45:10 PM EDT by Bushmaster1984]
mine was built in March and it would not cycle.....its at SIG now.
did something happen at SIG in March?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:12:56 PM EDT
I guess we all got a bad batch that was made in march. My returned newer one is great.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:53:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Section_Leader:
I guess we all got a bad batch that was made in march. My returned newer one is great.

how long did it take to get your gun back? I sent mine out sept 25th
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:35:56 PM EDT
I got an e-mail saying that they were givving me a new one in 2 weeks time after sending it. Once I gave them a FFL it was their the next day.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:43:07 AM EDT
I get the feeling I will get a new rifle.
I have heard that the guys who had rifles that would not cycle got new ones.

I wonder who was on the QC in March.
Top Top