Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 10:28:57 AM EST
How much louder is the mini4 compared to the M42K? I like the Mini4 because of its smaller size but how much sound suppression am I giving up by going with the mini4 instead of the M42K?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:18:32 AM EST
~10 DB. I wouldn't call m4-2k hearing safe but it's very comfortable to shoot, especially outside but shooting the mini4 with no hearing protection will damage your hearing and make your ears ring.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:01:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/11/2013 12:01:57 PM EST by EvilApplesauce]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thelom:
~10 DB. I wouldn't call m4-2k hearing safe but it's very comfortable to shoot, especially outside but shooting the mini4 with no hearing protection will damage your hearing and make your ears ring.
View Quote

from what i read,, you cant tell the difference to the shooters ear,

and anything less than a 14.5 inch barrel on the MINI4 is dangerous to the shooters ear, but on 14.5" and higher your GTG, you wont know the difference,

MINI is if weight is an issue to you, if your going to go sbr lengths, i would go for the M4-2K, but its only warrantied to a certain length barrel, which you can find on their website.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:13:02 PM EST
Less blowback out the ejection port, but more muzzle blast.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:46:41 PM EST
View Quote

Silencer Forum testing
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:20:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By 57fairlane:

Silencer Forum testing
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 57fairlane:

Silencer Forum testing

I was spot on for the muzzle... but I'll be damned. I had a chance to shoot them both outside and there's no way they sounded the same. Mini4 was a lot louder.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:25:18 PM EST
I just paid for a MINI4 for my DDMK18 and I already have an SDN-6 pending as well.

I'm excited for it. It'll be 10x better than shooting with no silencer. Likewise, I don't need the extra length and weight on the end of the barrel since the round will always potentially cause hearing damage. I'll shoot at at the range with ear pro anyways and should I ever need to use it without, it will be better than with no silencer...

It is what it is.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:12:52 AM EST
I own both and have fired both on 11.5 and 14.5 hosts both indoors and outdoors with and without hearing protection. The Mini4 on the 11.5 outdoors in an open area (no top or side covering or partitions) is comfortable for me to shoot without hearing protection. I do not do it often; I realize it is not hearing safe, regardless of how it sounds to me. The biggest difference is with the 11.5/Mini4 vs the 14.5/M4-2000, and even then it is not what I would consider a huge difference. It is most definitely noticeable, but not what I would call night and day by any means.

I prefer the Mini4 for a few reasons. You will need hearing protection regardless of which suppressor you get. The at ear numbers and actual perceived sound are very similar, to me anyway. The supersonic crack will not be lessened with either. The Mini4 is smaller and lighter. I notice that the biggest difference I see between the two is the affect on the balance of the weapon. That much weight hanging off of the muzzle makes a big difference in the handling characteristics of the rifle. The only reason I would choose an M4-2000 over a Mini4 would be for something like an SPR or a rifle with a bipod that I intended to shoot prone or off of a bench most of the time. For everything else, the Mini4 wills be my choice. IMHO, YMMV, etc

11.5 and Mini4 on left, Strider AFSOC BT in the middle, 14.5 and M4-2000 on the right

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:34:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By IFBBjuicemonkey:
I own both and have fired both on 11.5 and 14.5 hosts both indoors and outdoors with and without hearing protection. The Mini4 on the 11.5 outdoors in an open area (no top or side covering or partitions) is comfortable for me to shoot without hearing protection. I do not do it often; I realize it is not hearing safe, regardless of how it sounds to me. The biggest difference is with the 11.5/Mini4 vs the 14.5/M4-2000, and even then it is not what I would consider a huge difference. It is most definitely noticeable, but not what I would call night and day by any means.

I prefer the Mini4 for a few reasons. You will need hearing protection regardless of which suppressor you get. The at ear numbers and actual perceived sound are very similar, to me anyway. The supersonic crack will not be lessened with either. The Mini4 is smaller and lighter. I notice that the biggest difference I see between the two is the affect on the balance of the weapon. That much weight hanging off of the muzzle makes a big difference in the handling characteristics of the rifle. The only reason I would choose an M4-2000 over a Mini4 would be for something like an SPR or a rifle with a bipod that I intended to shoot prone or off of a bench most of the time. For everything else, the Mini4 wills be my choice. IMHO, YMMV, etc

11.5 and Mini4 on left, Strider AFSOC BT in the middle, 14.5 and M4-2000 on the right

http://oi44.tinypic.com/j5w5xu.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for the pictures, looks great. I am about to build an 11.5" with fsb. Your comments mirror my thoughts. I'll see even more so when my mini4 is approved.
Top Top