Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/17/2002 4:37:57 PM EST
Picked up a Dewey cleaning rod today along with my rifle. Are these things really worth the $30? Havnt had a chance to use it yet but I will give it a whirl tonight. Hope its better than the Wal-Mart specials
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:43:03 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:01:39 PM EST
I've seen some of the Pro Shot Products items, and they do look nice. But I don't think I've ever bought anything of theirs.

I really like my Dewey Cleaning Rod. It was worth the $$$ to me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:11:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2002 6:31:42 PM EST by Hoplite]
I have no experience with dewey but i do with pro shot and bore tech. I just got my Bore Tech yesterday after a little ups "dont bend the package" incident last week. I must say it went a lot easier then the proshot. THe proshot is nice because its stainless and has ball bearings but the Bore Tech spins 300% more freely then it. I like it a little better for that reason mainly, because how much different are cleaning rods? As far as the price concerns go with the proshot, it is the better deal. I have only cleaned one rifle with the Bore Tech so far, and havent seen the coating as a problem with collecting debris. Try them both out, buy one in a different length and see which one you liek best. Remember the extra few bucks you spend on cleaning equipment can mean the difference. Not that either product is inferior.

Sorry for the politician like answer but its a bit hard to choose.

edited to change dewey to boretech
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:12:31 PM EST
Check out Bore Tech rods. I never thought I'd say this about a damn cleaning rod, but they're amazing. I love mine.
Later,
Rich
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:17:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Check out Bore Tech rods. I never thought I'd say this about a damn cleaning rod, but they're amazing. I love mine.
Later,
Rich

I've got to second this. A good cleaning rod is well worth the money, and IMHO this is the best rod on the market.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:32:17 PM EST
I ignore the name on the package and stick with an all steel rod. Steel won't become impregnated with bits of debris that can damage your rifling. I wipe down the rod between passes with a cloth dampened with Hoppes to remove anything that might be clining to the rod. IMO everything else is just hype.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:56:14 PM EST
Dewey's are nice as are the new Tetra's.

The ones to stay away from if you use MP7 are the red coated rods (can't remember who makes them). MP7 dissolves the coating off of them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:42:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/17/2002 10:45:32 PM EST by FishKepr]
Imbroglio,
I believe you're thinking of the Kleen-Bore rods. I used one of those for a while and the coating wore off very fast. Switched to Dewey and haven't looked back since. $30 seems a tad stiff for a Dewey though. I usually see them for around $25.

I also heard Bore-Tech is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 11:09:44 PM EST
When I'm not using a Bore Snake, Dewey is my choice. You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 9:31:13 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:58:41 AM EST
Have Dewey cleaning rods & Bore Tech rods. Have bought only Bore Tech rods since buying my first one. A couple of guys I know are major prarie dog shooters and do more bore cleaning than any body else I have ever known.(will take up to a dozen firearms a piece on a trip) They also switched to Bore Tech due to the fact that they have had Dewey rods break down in the handle where the rod spins in it. Have never had the Bore Tech rods give out yet.
Tuco
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:36:33 PM EST
Being a new AR15 owner, I bit the bullet and forked out the cash for the right supplies. I bought a Dewey one piece cleaning rod, a Dewey chamber brush, a bore guide, borepaste, and the rod tips and brass brushes. Georgia Precesion was very helpful. Why ruin a new barrel with a cheapie cleaning kit???!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:46:49 PM EST
Any link or contact info for Bore Tech rods?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 5:03:05 AM EST

I can't recall paying that much for my Dewey rods either. I bought four of them from the "Dewey Guy" at the funshow. large rifle, small rifle, large pistol, small pistol. I've used them for years with ED's Red and it has no effect on the coating.
Top Top