Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/5/2004 3:43:49 PM EST
When I bought it, all I saw was Yugo SKS. Now, after having painstakingly cleaned the thing (including letting it sit in the sun and bake out cosmo today), I've noticed several things.
The first was that a piece of wood was patched in to the forearm. Where the forearm comes up to meet the top handguard, a piece about 3/16" high by 1.5-2" long has been cut out and replaced. I also noticed that directly below this was a square punched into the wood.
The next thing I noticed was another square right in front of the rear sling attachment.
Today, while sunning it, I made a major realization: the stock is not the original stock! The serial was sanded off and restamped to match the action!
While wiping it down after sunning it, I noticed yet another square stamped into it. This one was on...well, you might call it the pommel? If you grip it with your trigger hand, it's on the bottom of what you grip.

So, here's what I think:
The patched piece is just because that part got chunked out too bad so they fixed it (very well I might add).
The rear sling attachment was either replaced or had stripped out so they fixed that.
Obviously it's not the original stock, most likely taken from a gun whose action had gone to hell.
Maybe the square on the pommel is to indicate a replaced stock?

I had heard of squares with a slash being used as arsenal marks on Mosins, in fact I saw one this weekend, but I hadn't heard of it on Yugos. Is this seen often?

I think I'll finally get out to shoot it tomorrow. I got the stock pretty well dry now. Not tacky anymore.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:23:58 PM EST
It's an SKS, not a Griffin & Howe.

I wouldn't worry about it. They all shoot well, are reliable, and now it has personality.

Where did you get it from? AIM Surplus has "Shooter Grade" guns for $90, which I would assume are similar to yours.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:40:49 PM EST
I'm not worrying about it, I'm actually kind of appreciating it. It's got history! But, what about the square stamp mark?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:50:42 PM EST
Can't help you on the square stamp. Mine doesn't have a stamp.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:50:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By JimTh:
I'm not worrying about it, I'm actually kind of appreciating it. It's got history! But, what about the square stamp mark?

Ummmm they arsenal guys ran out of round stamps?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:14:39 PM EST
About a year ago I bought one of the $149.95 like new rifles with log book.

It has a spot where they belt sanded off the stock serial number and restamped it. This is NOT mentioned in the log book.

I think the log book is a work of fiction.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By JimTh:
When I bought it, all I saw was Yugo SKS. Now, after having painstakingly cleaned the thing (including letting it sit in the sun and bake out cosmo today), I've noticed several things.
The first was that a piece of wood was patched in to the forearm. Where the forearm comes up to meet the top handguard, a piece about 3/16" high by 1.5-2" long has been cut out and replaced. I also noticed that directly below this was a square punched into the wood.
The next thing I noticed was another square right in front of the rear sling attachment.
Today, while sunning it, I made a major realization: the stock is not the original stock! The serial was sanded off and restamped to match the action!
While wiping it down after sunning it, I noticed yet another square stamped into it. This one was on...well, you might call it the pommel? If you grip it with your trigger hand, it's on the bottom of what you grip.

So, here's what I think:
The patched piece is just because that part got chunked out too bad so they fixed it (very well I might add).
The rear sling attachment was either replaced or had stripped out so they fixed that.
Obviously it's not the original stock, most likely taken from a gun whose action had gone to hell.
Maybe the square on the pommel is to indicate a replaced stock?

I had heard of squares with a slash being used as arsenal marks on Mosins, in fact I saw one this weekend, but I hadn't heard of it on Yugos. Is this seen often?

I think I'll finally get out to shoot it tomorrow. I got the stock pretty well dry now. Not tacky anymore.

Jim

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:14:06 AM EST
Here's a pic of the replaced piece and the square under it:

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:26:37 AM EST
That's why they're called "Curios."

They make you wonder about them.

And that's half the fun of owning them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:49:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/6/2004 6:51:41 PM EST by conda14]
Heres my Sks I just got from AIM I spent the 150 to get the ex. plus .img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/conda14/Picture026.jpg
Top Top