Quoted:
...and sub-MOA...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I seem to recall reading that a bit of what was in that pamphlet was "artistic license" on behalf of the marketing department.
Kind of like reliability and accuracy?
...and sub-MOA...
...and from the new thread on BPF it appears the safety has a habit of being unsafe.
Link Posted: 4/22/2019 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#2]
MDR Warranty update:

NEW 2019 MDR and Updated Warranty Policy | Desert Tech
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Well good on them for upping the warranty. For the price tag on their products they should have already had such a warranty in my opinion but it is a good turn.

Also maybe I misheard or didn’t properly understand him but does the transferable lifetime warranty only apply if owners register the guns with DT in the next 30 days? If so that’s a pretty big load of BS. Would be pretty easy for a owner to not see a YouTube press release from a company for 30 days after its put out or ever really. If they aren’t sticklers about it and using that as way to look good while not actually have to do anything then that’s a big nothingburger. Time will tell though either way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Did he break his wrist trying to clear a stuck case or somethign?
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Strained it hand honing all those "out of spec" 223 chutes. You would think after the "out of spec" 308 chute debacle they would have been on top of it this time around, maybe third time is a charm when they release to ejection chute for the 40 mega-watt version.
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#6]
That lifetime warranty is complete BS.

All that should matter is that the serial number matches a produced serial number, and if the gun has to go back for work, they'll know it's one of theirs without looking at the number. It's not like somebody's going to try to slip an Aug in their system for free work.

This isn't some product that has 50 companies making a version of.

So, forget his words of transferable lifetime warranty.

What you need to hear, is " If you don't have it registered with us, we ain't fixing shit."

"Oh, you say you registered it back 6 months ago? Hmm, we don't have that in our records. Are you sure? We appreciate your business, but we'll have to wait and sort this out before we can fix your rifle."

"Oh, you're the 2nd owner? I don't see that serial number in our records. Are you sure the previous owner registered it with us like he said? We appreciate your desire to own the finest Bullpup know to man, but we will have to sort this out before we can repair your firearm."
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 5:27:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Lifetime warranty doesn’t mean shit when a Chapter  11 filing occurs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't think it is out of the ordinary to register your rifle. I do it with many things I purchase that have a warranty.  I think it is great that they have changed the warranty policy for the better and everyone else should as well.  People have been bitching about the lack of a lifetime warranty and now that they change their policy to include one people are still complaining. Don't buy one, simple as that but for those who do it is nice to have.  No, I still haven't shot mine yet but I am waiting for a return authorization so I can have all the upgrades and improvements done at once.  Hopefully this summer I will give it and the other rifles I have yet to shoot some range time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 8:47:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't think it is out of the ordinary to register your rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't think it is out of the ordinary to register your rifle.
IMO, half the problem is the whole idea of "registering" *any* firearm - but I confess I've done it once, Remington R51 for the same reason: well known reliability issues and mfg offering a "fix" via "lifetime warranty" iff you register the gun with them.  I wouldn't say Remington is the right business model for Delphi Tech to be following though!

Quoted:
I think it is great that they have changed the warranty policy for the better and everyone else should as well.  People have been bitching about the lack of a lifetime warranty and now that they change their policy to include one people are still complaining.
I'd agree it's an improvement, just not the RIGHT one, or at least not ENOUGH of one.  It's kind of like a plate carrier without the armor plates - sure, the carrier is a good idea, but it's missing a little something...
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't think it is out of the ordinary to register your rifle. I do it with many things I purchase that have a warranty.  I think it is great that they have changed the warranty policy for the better and everyone else should as well.  People have been bitching about the lack of a lifetime warranty and now that they change their policy to include one people are still complaining. Don't buy one, simple as that but for those who do it is nice to have.  No, I still haven't shot mine yet but I am waiting for a return authorization so I can have all the upgrades and improvements done at once.  Hopefully this summer I will give it and the other rifles I have yet to shoot some range time.
View Quote
How long has it been since your got you gun, and how long since the request for a RAO?
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 6:19:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I think any improvement made to the MDR by DT is better than zero improvement...just saying.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#12]
pavlovwolf, I got the rifle at the end of September 2018.. Yes it is sad that I have not shot it yet but I still haven't shot my Sako TRG 42 (.338 Lapua), my Silencerco Hybrid suppressor or my STG 556 (sold the one I had been shooting).  Unfortunately I don't get out to shoot much besides hunting, hopefully this summer that will change.  I am waiting to hear from Megan at Desert Tech, she is supposed to let me know when all the available upgrades are available so I can send the complete rifle in to have everything done and tested. (they were waiting on the extractors and new gas valves when I last spoke to her)..  hopefully soon.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
pavlovwolf, I got the rifle at the end of September 2018.. Yes it is sad that I have not shot it yet but I still haven't shot my Sako TRG 42 (.338 Lapua), my Silencerco Hybrid suppressor or my STG 556 (sold the one I had been shooting).  Unfortunately I don't get out to shoot much besides hunting, hopefully this summer that will change.  I am waiting to hear from Megan at Desert Tech, she is supposed to let me know when all the available upgrades are available so I can send the complete rifle in to have everything done and tested. (they were waiting on the extractors and new gas valves when I last spoke to her)..  hopefully soon.
View Quote
Two more weeks.......that is the typical answer when DT is waiting on vendors...which is the norm....but I think a more accurate statement now would be....Two More Months or even Two More Years....
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:05:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Two more weeks.......that is the typical answer when DT is waiting on vendors...which is the norm....but I think a more accurate statement now would be....Two More Months or even Two More Years....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The available upgrades are unavailable...

So did they seriously put out the APB to all MDR owners about registering/upgrading ASAP when they only had a couple dozen warranty parts on hand?  What the fuck.

I'm callin' it; this is yet another PR stunt to make the gun look more viable so they can snag new buyers.  I assume new suckers at least aren't having to wait for years to get rifles at this point...or are they now waiting on the unavailable upgrayedd parts as well?
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey. You have keep the coolaid flowing for the drinkers...
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe Nick strained his wrist pouring all that Kool-Aid(tm)?
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Flavor-Aid.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:50:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Flavor-Aid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flavor-Aid.
Yeah, Flavor Aid because the Koolaide is on backorder.

They expect delivery in about two weeks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:55:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Problems with the big glass jug vendor, something about the arms and legs being out if spec.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 4:07:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Kool-aid aside. No matter what some people think. Desert tech is making improvements to the rifle and there warranty policy.  The one thing I notice the most about this thread is when there is bad news every one piles on and bashes DT, and for good reason. When they deliver good and positive news, people will find what ever they can and still complain.  So, from that point what does DT need to do to make people “happy”?  From what I see, some will never be happy regardless of what they do or give.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 4:48:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
 So, from that point what does DT need to do to make people “happy”?  From what I see, some will never be happy regardless of what they do or give.
View Quote
Pretty simple- actually DELIVER. When the vast majority of Delphi Tech rifles are problem-free and when owners actually receive the promised services and remedies, then maybe folks will start to believe.

Right now Delphi Tech is your deadbeat renter promising to make good on his bounced checks NEXT month. “fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!”

I’m personally out for good - won’t touch ANY of their products for the foreseeable future, but if they can reach that level of normalcy for a few years I might reconsider.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pretty simple- actually DELIVER. When the vast majority of Delphi Tech rifles are problem-free and when owners actually receive the promised services and remedies, then maybe folks will start to believe.

Right now Delphi Tech is your deadbeat renter promising to make good on his bounced checks NEXT month. “fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!”

I’m personally out for good - won’t touch ANY of their products for the foreseeable future, but if they can reach that level of normalcy for a few years I might reconsider.
View Quote
100% nailed it! I think it’s great they are “improving” the platform (at least they appear to try) to what it should have been when it released almost two years ago...but it’s the same song and dance. Delays...delays...bait and hook...delays...delays.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Kool-aid aside. No matter what some people think. Desert tech is making improvements to the rifle and there warranty policy.  The one thing I notice the most about this thread is when there is bad news every one piles on and bashes DT, and for good reason. When they deliver good and positive news, people will find what ever they can and still complain.  So, from that point what does DT need to do to make people “happy”?  From what I see, some will never be happy regardless of what they do or give.
View Quote
I don't think they can do anything to satisfy some of the people here short of pulling a Bud Dwyer during a Facebook livestream.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't think they can do anything to satisfy some of the people here short of pulling a Bud Dwyer during a Facebook livestream.
View Quote
Hopefully they'll be smart enough not to use a MDR. But then again, any publicity is good publicity.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 8:11:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Anyone have a link to where this registration page is?
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
You have to do it in person at their HQ and only on the 32nd of each month.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL, it'll be available in two moar weeks!
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dunno; even the biggest 'haters' only seem to ask for DT's stuff to be on time (or close), and to actually work fairly well.  Unreasonable for a $2500 product, right?  Okay, many also complain about the price being too high.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I assume the clock is already ticking on the registration window, yes?
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
In order to register your product you will need to login/signup on desert techs web sight first.   When logged in go to your profile page. The list on the left will have the register product along with products you already registered

Jesse
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

In order to register your product you will need to login/signup on desert techs web sight first.   When logged in go to your profile page. The list on the left will have the register product along with products you already registered

Jesse
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#32]
It's Friday, did a nose get a little longer?
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 4:27:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#34]
24 on Gunbroker and not one 223.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Desert-Tech-MDR/search?Keywords=Desert%20Tech+MDR&cats=979&s=f

Link Posted: 5/5/2019 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Searching around today on the net also many retailers have posted barrel material...4140...subpar crap again from DT...it seems they use the cheapest material available across the board on the MDR while asking Tier 1 money for their guns.

Looking at FAXONs offerings, since they are the one building the barrels...none of their FAXON barrels are 4140 spec...so DT spec'd it...it is beyond me why you would use 4140 in a 7.62x51...NATO "tested", high quality firearm....

Sure nitriding helps 4140...but the material is still weaker...

Polymer=CHEAP
Barrel material=CHEAP
MIM Galore=CHEAP
Subpar QC=Incompetence

Charging Tier 1 price= The DT way...
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Searching around today on the net also many retailers have posted barrel material...4140...subpar crap again from DT...it seems they use the cheapest material available across the board on the MDR while asking Tier 1 money for their guns.

Looking at FAXONs offerings, since they are the one building the barrels...none of their FAXON barrels are 4140 spec...so DT spec'd it...it is beyond me why you would use 4140 in a 7.62x51...NATO "tested", high quality firearm....

Sure nitriding helps 4140...but the material is still weaker...

Polymer=CHEAP
Barrel material=CHEAP
MIM Galore=CHEAP
Subpar QC=Incompetence

Charging Tier 1 price= The DT way...
View Quote
Before you start bitching about something else, call them on Monday and ask.  Get something from the source rather than speculation from retailers.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Before you start bitching about something else, call them on Monday and ask.  Get something from the source rather than speculation from retailers.
View Quote
I made an observation based on several retailers posting 4140 as a steel material. Which is subpar at the price level they are asking...retailers get their info from manufacturers...so either DT is using 4140 or their marketing team screwed up once again...

So just Shut up Kurt. For someone who states over and over again about not posting. You keep posting...without much substance.

Go back to the range and shoot your MDRs more...maybe you can add something more useful than your continued defensive to protect DT...you almost make it too evident that you are an online protector of the DT brand.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 12:35:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I made an observation based on several retailers posting 4140 as a steel material. Which is subpar at the price level they are asking...retailers get their info from manufacturers...so either DT is using 4140 or their marketing team screwed up once again...

So just Shut up Kurt. For someone who states over and over again about not posting. You keep posting...without much substance.

Go back to the range and shoot your MDRs more...maybe you can add something more useful than your continued defensive to protect DT...you almost make it too evident that you are an online protector of the DT brand.
View Quote
So why not just call and find out rather than speculate?  Don’t turn this into an attack on me when I simply posed a question any reasonable person would have asked or suggested if they were remotely interested in the facts.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 12:57:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think the first volley of the attack appears to be the above quoted post.

And how is posting about retailers quoted specs considered speculation?

Maybe you should start a write-in campaign to all the retailers about their speculation as to what the barrel material is and ask them to take it off their website until it is triple dog dare verified by Nicocchio and DT.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 2:18:24 AM EDT
[#40]
4140 is perfectly good for many applications, perhaps it may be the best choice if it's for a military weapon. For a precision weapon 416 is much better.

They've touted this weapon as both, and it's lived up to neither.

The fact that they don't list the steel used in the specs on their website makes me think it is 4140.

They list the steel used in their other offerings.

Almost every company lists the steel used, especially if it's 416 or SS.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
4140 is perfectly good for many applications, perhaps it may be the best choice if it's for a military weapon. For a precision weapon 416 is much better.

The fact that they don't list the steel used in the specs on their website makes me think it is 4140.

View Quote
Do what?!? 4140 is definitely not Mil-Spec material...at the price this is offered...premium materials are expected...4140 is not.

At minimum 4150CMV should be used...at the price point though it should be 4150CMV Cold Hammered Forged.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So why not just call and find out rather than speculate?  Don’t turn this into an attack on me when I simply posed a question any reasonable person would have asked or suggested if they were remotely interested in the facts.
View Quote
Do you really think over 10+ retailers would misprint the barrel specs and risk a lawsuit and/or lose their DT dealer status...then why would they show 4140...if I was going to misprint something. I would tout it to be better than that junk...common sense man. Common sense.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Do what?!? 4140 is definitely not Mil-Spec material...at the price this is offered...premium materials are expected...4140 is not.

At minimum 4150CMV should be used...at the price point though it should be 4150CMV Cold Hammered Forged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say 4140 was mil spec, at least for AR15 weapons.

4150 has 1% more carbon than 4140.

4140 steel chemistry; numbers are % mass:

Carbon 0.38 - 0.43

Chromium 0.8 - 1.1

Manganese 0.75 - 1

Molybdenum 0.15 - 0.25

Phosphorus 0.035 max

Silicon 0.15 - 0.35

Sulphur 0.04 max

Iron Balance

4150 chemistry:

Carbon 0.48 - 0.53

Chromium 0.8 - 1.1

Manganese 0.75 - 1

Molybdenum 0.15 - 0.25

Phosphorus 0.035 max

Silicon 0.15 - 0.35

Sulphur 0.04 max

Iron Balance

When you get into the CMV you get the differences, which is the mil spec

C 0.48-0.55
Mn 0.75-1
P 0.04
S 0.04
Si 0.20-0.35
Cr 0.8-1.1
Mo 0.15-0.25
V 0

4150 CMV

C 0.41-0.49
Mn 0.6-0.9
P 0.04
S 0.04
Si 0.20-0.35
Cr 0.8-1.15
Mo 0.3-0.4
V 0.2-0.3

Most AR non Colt barrels were made from 4140 for decades, and they're fine.

MIL-B-11595E CMV (Chromium Molybdenum Vanadium) alloy is closer to 4140 as far as carbon content is concerned than 4150.

LMT used, and may still use mil B 11595e for instance.

Now where I went wrong, was using the term mil weapon, and should have said mil type weapon.

4150CMV is superior in all ways for full auto guns, hammer forged barrels, or barrels that will see sustained fire for long periods of time.

For the average user shooting semi auto, the difference is minimal.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Correct.

4140 is fine to a degree (yes many shooters don't use weapons hard enough to see problems)...but it degrades faster, can't hold heat as good but most importantly it wears much faster in the throat of the barrel...you get much faster errosion rates vs a proper 4150CMV...4140 is not the optimum choice for a high end marketed weapon.

DT, should have just went 416R nitrided...if it is 4140 in there...but they bragged and marketed the thing as NATO this and that...so proper CHF 4150CMV was expected...at minimum standard mil spec 11595E...nope...we get cheap crap 4140 it seems...just keeps getting better and better...makes you think...what metallurgy did they use for the MIM parts...

Nitriding helps...but still...it appears DT went the way off producing it as cheap as possible with subpar materials while charging premium for it...

Google search result, click here again...that is 9 pages of retailers stating 4140 barrel material...either DT marketing sent out the wrong specs to every retailer in the USA and screwed up again...or the MDR really does sport cheap 4140 steel barrel....knowing how cheap the MDR is made...I pick it is 4140.

Heck...even my MSAR is 4150CMV
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 12:51:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Personally I couldn't care less if the barrel is 4140 or 416 or 4150CMV.  It's nitrided.  Being nitrided it matters much less what the base material is, imo.

I'd take an MDR that worked right with an uncoated regular old 4140 chrome moly ER Shaw barrel over what I've got
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Personally I couldn't care less if the barrel is 4140 or 416 or 4150CMV.  It's nitrided.  Being nitrided it matters much less what the base material is, imo.

I'd take an MDR that worked right with an uncoated regular old 4140 chrome moly ER Shaw barrel over what I've got
View Quote
Touche! Hope you figure out your MDR...any updates on your end?
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 2:22:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The chrome-molybdenum family of steels are only incrementally different from each other; it's not like the DT barrels are made of pig-iron, or something.  The Vanadium adds a little more hardness (ie reduces erosion) but the nitride finish hardness increase dwarfs that.  No need to be a drama-queen about their choice of a perfectly good barrel steel.  It's not as though they're sticking it to customers; 4140 is likely just what was available for blanks at the time the barrels were being made.  Nitride is what I'd complain about if anything (well, that and the *probably* mis-cut chambers on many barrels), but because it's one of the cheapest barrel-worthy finishes there is & is not the most rust-proof either, not because it's improper or no-good for the application.  "Mil-spec" is not a material anyway, and the MDR has no "mil-spec" in any case.  Now, if that's how they're marketing their stuff, that'd be another area to complain about.

*booming metal music* "Made to mil-spec, from the specs we submitted to the military before we were rejected for further review..." doesn't seem nearly as compelling, lol
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The chrome-molybdenum family of steels are only incrementally different from each other; it's not like the DT barrels are made of pig-iron, or something.  The Vanadium adds a little more hardness (ie reduces erosion) but the nitride finish hardness increase dwarfs that.  No need to be a drama-queen about their choice of a perfectly good barrel steel.  It's not as though they're sticking it to customers; 4140 is likely just what was available for blanks at the time the barrels were being made.  Nitride is what I'd complain about if anything (well, that and the *probably* mis-cut chambers on many barrels), but because it's one of the cheapest barrel-worthy finishes there is & is not the most rust-proof either, not because it's improper or no-good for the application.  "Mil-spec" is not a material anyway, and the MDR has no "mil-spec" in any case.  Now, if that's how they're marketing their stuff, that'd be another area to complain about.

*booming metal music* "Made to mil-spec, from the specs we submitted to the military before we were rejected for further review..." doesn't seem nearly as compelling, lol
View Quote
I doubt 4140 was the available blanks...FAXON makes the barrels...their barrels are either 4150CMV or 416R...so 4140 had to be spec'd out...just saying. FAXON does not use 4140 in anything with their name on it except in their BCGs (carrier key and cam pin).
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been preoccupied.  I registered it and requested an RMA.  I figure I'll give that route a shot before I start doing anything that can't be undone.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've been preoccupied.  I registered it and requested an RMA.  I figure I'll give that route a shot before I start doing anything that can't be undone.
View Quote
Hope you get all the 2019 updates and report back!
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top