Member Login
Site Notices
6/25/2018 7:04:05 PM
Page / 46
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:45:37 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kfeltenberger:

The problem was that they announced that it would have the forward ejection which was a keynote feature. If, and I stress IF, they ran into production/refinement issues post-announcement, the very same people who are whipping them like a dead horse would be doing the same thing to them because it didn't have forward ejection. The system obviously works because people have rifles that function as advertised. There has to be something else other than design that is at fault here.
View Quote
I could be wrong but I think the fatal flaw was they announced it way too soon then compounded that with preorders that where far too premature. I don’t think it was as far along as they were playing up in the early days. So they where stuck with having to develop the rifle with many challenging features from the forward eject to a common receiver for 7.62 & 5.56 and get production ready simultaneously. Then when inevitably (watch enough c&rsenal or forgotten weapons and you come to realize all military rifles for over a hundred years now tend to run into developmental problems) they ran into issues they had to lie and come up with bullshit to buy time like the NATO testing shit. Also by pretending it was ready to go and taking pre orders they locked themselves into a box where they couldn’t modify it very much without creating further uproar since then it changes the product people already paid for and would make their stack of lies more evident than they already where. Hopefully they get it right eventually but for a small boutique business like them with an expensive product your name is important and they have devalued that bit of their property quite a bit with all of this.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 3:33:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Aussie_E:
I only waited a year for mine and was at the range the week I got it. I guess shooting for some isn't as much a priority as collecting. Even though I had traded mine within a month I must say it did get me excited/interested in shooting again after a long layoff from shooting, if that's all I got from it (as well as the LMT MWS I traded it for) I am forever grateful to DT. It had so much promise, hopefully it will live up to it all in the end.
View Quote
As thehun06 said, I haven't had a chance to shoot them yet do to other commitments and a heavy workload for my classes. While I hope and expect the MDRs to take over for my AKs, so long as I have something that I know is reliable and works I'm not in a hurry to cut other things that have more long term importance just to go and turn $250 into spent brass and holes in paper.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 4:43:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2018 4:51:33 PM EDT by Aussie_E]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
I am in the same pickle as you were...do I trade off my trusty LMT MWS for one of these 308 bullpups or not....time will tell...
View Quote
LMT MWS is a keeper. Already have 3 barrels for it and would like to get another (338 Federal). Love multical the support for it as well as all the aftermarket parts. Since getting it I have upgraded the trigger, trigger guard, pistol grip and stock. Can't do that currently with the MDR.

After a couple of range trips with the MDR, I realized I wasn't 25 anymore and wouldn't be humping a 308 battle rifle that is over 10lbs with mag and optics around . I needed more of a static platform not a agile compact Bullpup.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 6:17:29 PM EDT
Well...I've decided to give a SCAR17 a try so putting my LMT up for trade for one...we shall see...might regret that decision.

I love the fact how easily I can clean the chamber and swap barrels on the LMT (if needed).
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:13:54 PM EDT
Picked up my pre-order FDE .308 MDR today, but it'll be a while before I have time to get to a range to see if I got a dud or not. The hand guard retaining pin capture wire is very tight, had to press it back a bit with a screwdriver and tap the pin out with the torque wrench to retract and again to seat it when assembled.

Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:27:31 PM EDT
Is the mag release stiff?
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:31:00 PM EDT
Yes, compared to my Tavor and AR pattern rifles anyways but this one is nowhere near as stiff as I've read reports of. It's not unreasonably difficult to push with a single finger from either side or the trigger style release at the magazine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 11:52:24 PM EDT
Good. Maybe they are getting better at it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:03:42 PM EDT
Is the mag release stiff?
View Quote
Give it a good look over. When I received mine one of the pins for the ejector assembly was sheared. Other people had pins walking out from the magazine release counter balance and found the pin in the bottom of the receiver. In my opion its a fairly soft shooting gun, that being compared with my 20in Maten with a slash heavy buffer. I will also state that my rifle shot ammo just fine out of the rifle in the suppressed setting with out having a suppressor, that was with Remington 150gr core-lok and some STG 58 (when the stg58 wouldn't get stuck in the chamber) I would recommend staying away from 7.62 Nato ammo made out of the US.

Jesse.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:31:28 PM EDT
I see big daddy unlimited is showing them as in stock. I’ve been “next on the list” for my preorder for 6 months now. Don’t want to cancel as it seems no one gets their money back either.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:32:08 PM EDT
That is where I have a big problem with the MDR...it shouldnt be this picky with ammo...period.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:52:30 PM EDT
I’m still waiting on my group buy refund from 6+ weeks ago. I talked with him again on Friday and he was supposed to get back with me Saturday. He seems like a nice guy and I’m trying to be understanding, but the next call will be less friendly than this one. I shouldn’t have to call multiple times and send half a dozen emails to get a refund from this mess.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 1:53:27 PM EDT
That is where I have a big problem with the MDR...it shouldnt be this picky with ammo...period.
View Quote
Yes and no. Say what you want to say. You did make a interesting comment over on the Bullpup Forum. Say that the rifle shouldn't have a 7.62 NATO cut chamber if its stamped .308. In the same regards one shouldn't expect all 7.62 nato ammo not to have issues in a .308 chambered gun. Cant win for losing on the MDR and the chamber. I personal would prefer a NATO cut chamber then a .308 one just for the ability to free range of all the surplus ammo. If the rifle has issues shooting .308 ammo out of it. Then yes there is problems.

I have not looked at what the .308 and 7.62 max and min dimensions for the chamber cut is for the neck, But I feel that the neck could use a little extra material removed, once the shells started to expand to the 2.012" area that is when the rims started to become damaged once it get the 2.015 for expended case length all bets where off on extraction. And this was all from 7.62 NATO STG 58 ammo
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 2:22:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/27/2018 3:54:06 PM EDT by thehun06]
I do not disagree but .308 chamber shouldn't have a problem running 7.62x51...especially when the rifle is designated from the manufacturer as a battle rifle...that is all I am saying.

You should be able to use 7.62x51 in a 308 chamber....you shouldn't use 308 in a 7.62x51 chamber.

I do not have experience with the Stg58...only the Malaysian L2A2 with my LMT...and it eats it like a boss with decent accuracy actually. Usually I just use Aguila 7.62x51 in the LMT.

I am happy to see reports of MDRs not choking trickling in here and there...that is a great sign...
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:16:57 PM EDT
I think that given all their hype about its rigorous military testing and how it’s being demoed to military customers, it’s pretty reasonable to expect it to shoot 7.62 military ammo.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 6:05:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By doty_soty:
I think that given all their hype about its rigorous military testing and how it’s being demoed to military customers, it’s pretty reasonable to expect it to shoot 7.62 military ammo.
View Quote
For sure. If it was marketed as a precision rifle I'd be willing to give it a pass on being a picky eater. Their justification for the long creepy trigger was that it's a fighting gun. Even more severe is that the stuck cases aren't a simple rack the bolt and clear type malfunction. They require a tool to clear which to me is a more concerning level malfunction.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 6:10:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/27/2018 6:11:59 PM EDT by thehun06]
Tool...a wooden rod with a hammer...

I have thought long and hard to bite the bullet and trade my LMT MWS for a MDR. Put it through its paces and see if it breaks with me or not...everytime I want to do it...I am reminded that my LMT eats Malaysian crap ammo on the cheap.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 7:30:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/27/2018 7:35:41 PM EDT by newguy2k3]
I say tool in the general sense. If you don't have a cleaning rod or similar you're done until you get one. It's a failure that you're not going to correct with just your hands.

ETA maybe they'll offer an attachment to keep a stuck case clearing rod right on the gun.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 8:12:16 PM EDT
I know what you meant. Just poking a little fun.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 4:51:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2018 5:03:24 PM EDT by MAC21500]
Update from Desert Tech:

Desert Tech MDR Update

TLDR: 6 position gas valve will be a standard feature, it will be free to anyone who has an MDR, and you will be credited if you have already purchased one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:11:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MAC21500:
Update from Desert Tech:

Desert Tech MDR Update

TLDR: 6 position gas valve will be a standard feature, it will be free to anyone who has an MDR, and you will be credited if you have already purchased one.
View Quote
I saw that. The 6 position is good as that should help with some ammo issues. Bore obstruction was good but the drop test concerns me on the polymer strength. I really want to know how many stoppages happened in the 10k rounds
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:10:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/1/2018 11:25:15 AM EDT by lazyengineer]
Still standing by for that 19"+ model in 6.5CM; in a proven reliably platform that shoots 1 MOA or better. Considering what a bumpy ride the entire MDR ride has been, I've stopped following it, and this is the first time in months I've even looked at an MDR related thread. From the looks of it, my offering of interest is year(s) away still (if ever).

Ah well.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 2:02:02 AM EDT
It’s july
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:27:38 AM EDT
placed an order for mdr in march 2018 with a delivery date of jun 23 2018, from jun 23 to july7 it was sent to my FFL , during the time I ordered a 6.5 creedmoor barrel from a 3rd party barrel maker got the barrel last week in june , i know people have been waiting for mdr for a while but i got one in a 4 month wait time not too bad.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:58:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Yesterday 10:59:36 AM EDT by bsmith918]
Originally Posted By skullzer02:
placed an order for mdr in march 2018 with a delivery date of jun 23 2018, from jun 23 to july7 it was sent to my FFL , during the time I ordered a 6.5 creedmoor barrel from a 3rd party barrel maker got the barrel last week in june , i know people have been waiting for mdr for a while but i got one in a 4 month wait time not too bad.
View Quote
Sure, now that they are out and dealers are being taken care of first. The problem is they lied about timeframes for years, used customers as beta testers, and screwed over the group buy participants after saying they would be taken care of.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:18:17 AM EDT
I am still trying to get my fucking deposit back from the group buy pre-order....gonna make one more attempt this week then will pursue other options
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:53:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Supperman:
I am still trying to get my fucking deposit back from the group buy pre-order....gonna make one more attempt this week then will pursue other options
View Quote
@sgt_p
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:29:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yesterday 2:30:19 PM EDT by bsmith918]
Originally Posted By Supperman:
View Quote
Got mine yesterday after a couple phone conversations, several emails, a few im’s, and finally a very blunt final email. This was over the course of several months. Jon seems like a nice guy when talking on the phone, but getting a refund was unnecessarily difficult.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:11:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bsmith918:

Got mine yesterday after a couple phone conversations, several emails, a few im’s, and finally a very blunt final email. This was over the course of several months. Jon seems like a nice guy when talking on the phone, but getting a refund was unnecessarily difficult.
View Quote
Took me a couple months and a dozen or so emails/IMs. This was over a year ago, but how on earth is communication that difficult?
Page / 46
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top