Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page / 38
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 2:12:40 PM EST
I received my refund check today. I will not do business with DT, and based on my experience with them I would not recommend them.

I honestly hope the rest of you get your rifles in a timely manner and are happy with them.

FA
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:42:53 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FailedAbortion:
I received my refund check today. I will not do business with DT, and based on my experience with them I would not recommend them.

I honestly hope the rest of you get your rifles in a timely manner and are happy with them.

FA
View Quote
Some of the issue was that they didn't have your current address...that really can't be blamed on DT, can it?
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:44:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
Well... I have a tracking number but it is stuck in ups limbo because the hub/distribution center for my area is down because of the storm.
View Quote
So....two more weeks?

Also, that sucks.  Hopefully your rifle wasn't directly affected, and it was solely the shipping route.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:39:56 PM EST
No it just shipped the other day and I forgot to ask for FedEx over ups. Rifle is enroute but the hub it needs to go through here hasn't reopened yet.

I have stuff from Larue apparently bouncing back and forth between that hub and Austin right now...
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:29:23 AM EST
Over promising and under delivering, NOT COOL!
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:40:58 AM EST
Isn't it time to change the title of this thread again? Make it cheeky.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 12:59:25 PM EST
Where are the range reports?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 1:24:36 PM EST
You would think they would be pushing these into Youtube gun reviewers hands like Hickok, MAC, GarandThumb, Sootch, etc to get some exposure....   Unless ya'll owners are beta testers and the guns aren't truly ready for prime time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:54:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2017 5:55:06 PM EST by ARsR4ME]
Originally Posted By fivepointoh:
You would think they would be pushing these into Youtube gun reviewers hands like Hickok, MAC, GarandThumb, Sootch, etc to get some exposure....   Unless ya'll owners are beta testers and the guns aren't truly ready for prime time.
View Quote
Kinda where i was going. When i get a rifle in im going out to the pasture and see how it runs. I understand most cant just walk out back and shoot but that next weekend or first chance i had free id be shooting it at a local range. But reviews can also be made of trigger pull, weight, balance, disassembly and such without a range trip.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 6:02:28 PM EST
View Quote
I know from one of the DT RSMs that two of those mentioned have been approached to review the rifle. Whether they accepted or not, I can't comment on because he an hour away from meeting one and had an appointment later in the week with the other.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:33:15 PM EST
View Quote
To be fair, DT did say they were generally going to try to get them OTD in the order of pre orders. If they short shifted pre orders to let reviewers get rifles they didn't plop money down for two years ago, that also shitty of them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:38:05 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:04:27 PM EST
Wish I could go.. too far away and I never have the time to go. You all have fun though and I will live vicariously through you . I am still anxiously awaiting my FDE .308 MDR!
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 5:44:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
To be fair, DT did say they were generally going to try to get them OTD in the order of pre orders. If they short shifted pre orders to let reviewers get rifles they didn't plop money down for two years ago, that also shitty of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
Yeah, I sent in my pre-paid order in February 2016. I wouldn't be happy at all if they delayed my order another day because they decided to ship my paid for MDR to a reviewer just because people keep whining about their "pet" Youtube reviewer not doing a video for them. How about you guys volunteering to contact DT and ask them to send your pre-paid MDR to your favorite Youtube reviewer for a review, instead of sending your MDR to you. Me, no way. I don't give a crap about a Youtube video review. I'd much rather get my MDR ASAP and do my own shooting. Screw the reviews, just send the MDR's out to paid customers ASAP instead.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:58:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By Manticore_Arms:
Desert Tech will be at Bullpup Shoot 2017 with a 375 Cheytac and an MDR. Come out and shoot it for yourself to see what you think.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
Is Lithgow going to be there?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:44:36 PM EST
Keep holding your breath, im sure it'll be in shortly. Maybe 2 more weeks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 5:01:53 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:27:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By antman311:

They told me at SHOT 2017 that they will never be releasing a factory SBR. They will only be releasing a kit, so as soon as you get a standard Title I MDR, Form 1 it in anticipation of the SBR kit.
View Quote
That would be reasonable if DT barrel kits weren't like $900. Considering the price on an SRS barrel I can't wait to see what they'll be charging for this. A $3500 SBR?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:17:13 PM EST
Dealer has had my mdr since Thursday. Working today but hopefully I can swing by and get it today. If not then tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:30:21 PM EST
Dealer has had my mdr since Thursday. Working today but hopefully I can swing by and get it today. If not then tomorrow.
View Quote
Awesome man post some impressions for the rest of us please
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:44:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By Conqueror:

That would be reasonable if DT barrel kits weren't like $900. Considering the price on an SRS barrel I can't wait to see what they'll be charging for this. A $3500 SBR?
View Quote
Yeah, when I spend that kinda $ on an SBR I get a grenade launcher and a silencer too. Kinda steep.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 5:52:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By kfeltenberger:
Some of the issue was that they didn't have your current address...that really can't be blamed on DT, can it?
View All Quotes

FA
It can be when I gave them the address three diffrenr times. Once when I moved, again when they asked if I wanted a different FFL, and again when I cancelled. Even after that they sent it to the wrong address
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 6:23:10 PM EST

It can be when I gave them the address three diffrenr times. Once when I moved, again when they asked if I wanted a different FFL, and again when I cancelled. Even after that they sent it to the wrong address
View Quote
This is from Nick Young himself:

Our refund policy requires a 30 day processing period and after researching this customers complaint it was found that the refund was issued 30 days after it was requested and was mailed to the address he provided at the time his order was placed. Unfortunately the address was no longer his current address so the check came back to us. When the check arrived back to us it was when we were actually shipping MDR's and so our sales manager spent three days tracking the customer down to ask if he wanted an MDR instead of his refund because his check came back to us, the customer elected to have us mail the check to his current address instead of receiving his MDR which was mailed last Wednesday. We respect the customers decision to cancel and understand his frustration in the situation. We will try to improve and learn from every experience. Our customers mean a lot to us and when things like this happen it is an opportunity to learn from it. I wish the customer the best and apologize we were not being able to meet his expectations.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:22:23 PM EST
I was there two hours, the mdr finally got running about 15 min before we left. It went Doan because the ammo they where shooting was to "soft " it wad basically ripping the case head off is what they told me. They then went and bought a bunch ammo from another vender. Once they got the "right" ammo I got to shoot 20 rounds through it. My buddy was up next and it double feed once then RTF once. I wasn't very impressed let's just say.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:36:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By tallhorse89:
I was there two hours, the mdr finally got running about 15 min before we left. It went Doan because the ammo they where shooting was to "soft " it wad basically ripping the case head off is what they told me. They then went and bought a bunch ammo from another vender. Once they got the "right" ammo I got to shoot 20 rounds through it. My buddy was up next and it double feed once then RTF once. I wasn't very impressed let's just say.
View Quote
This was at the bullpup shoot in Illinois?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:36:56 PM EST

This is from Nick Young himself:

Our refund policy requires a 30 day processing period and after researching this customers complaint it was found that the refund was issued 30 days after it was requested and was mailed to the address he provided at the time his order was placed. Unfortunately the address was no longer his current address so the check came back to us. When the check arrived back to us it was when we were actually shipping MDR's and so our sales manager spent three days tracking the customer down to ask if he wanted an MDR instead of his refund because his check came back to us, the customer elected to have us mail the check to his current address instead of receiving his MDR which was mailed last Wednesday. We respect the customers decision to cancel and understand his frustration in the situation. We will try to improve and learn from every experience. Our customers mean a lot to us and when things like this happen it is an opportunity to learn from it. I wish the customer the best and apologize we were not being able to meet his expectations.
View Quote
Well it's settled then. DT wasn't at fault, it's all the customer's fault for moving during the forever release of this rifle. For fuck sake dude...do you have to pull their knob out of your mouth to type as if you're DTs defense attorney?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:42:05 PM EST
Ripping rims off mirrors my experience with mine earlier with some South African Ball as well as 2/2 with lc brass. 4 out of 38 rounds ripped a chunk of the rim off.
Mdr vs Lmt Mws bolt. I think they should have made the extractor wider.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:48:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By maleante:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maleante:
Originally Posted By tallhorse89:
Yes I have pictures of me shooting it and I have video of my buddy with the malfunctions if you want prof lol it was PPU ammo btw
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:20:30 PM EST
Does anyone know if there are plans to release a longer barrel for the 7.62 MDR?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:32:09 PM EST
Ripping rims off mirrors my experience with mine earlier with some South African Ball as well as 2/2 with lc brass. 4 out of 38 rounds ripped a chunk of the rim off.
Mdr vs Lmt Mws bolt. I think they should have made the extractor wider.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34327/IMG_5022-304443.JPG
View Quote
What does this say about their testing procedures that they seemed to take years doing?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:10:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/10/2017 9:10:55 PM EST by fivepointoh]
Explains why they haven't sent it out to any "reviewers".  Also not surprised that the pre orders will be beta testers, it seems.    

ETA: I know it's the internet and we have examples of only two, but if true, two people with similar experiences on a very limited in the wild gun doesn't inspire....confidence.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:37:32 PM EST
Not that you should have to, but did you try turning down the gas? That might make for a gentler unlock.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:38:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By smokinghole:

Well it's settled then. DT wasn't at fault, it's all the customer's fault for moving during the forever release of this rifle. For fuck sake dude...do you have to pull their knob out of your mouth to type as if you're DTs defense attorney?
View Quote
There are two sides to every story and somewhere between them is the truth. All we saw here was one side of the story, I simply posted their side. If that offends or triggers you, then that's your problem not mine. IMO, there was failure on both sides of the equation.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:40:36 PM EST
Explains why they haven't sent it out to any "reviewers".  Also not surprised that the pre orders will be beta testers, it seems.    

ETA: I know it's the internet and we have examples of only two, but if true, two people with similar experiences on a very limited in the wild gun doesn't inspire....confidence.
View Quote
They have been sent out to reviewers. Tim at Military Arms Channel received a review rifle that had been to at least one other reviewer.

https://www.facebook.com/militaryarms/videos/1672997759378683/
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 9:56:02 PM EST
Dont worry, 2more weeks and they'll have it figured out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 10:02:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By Potss:
Not that you should have to, but did you try turning down the gas? That might make for a gentler unlock.
View Quote
On mine I had it in the suppressed setting. They made the port too big, it has a tight or rough chamber, or the extractor lip really should be wider. I don't know why they decided not to make the lip wider and similar to every other 308 semi auto out there. There appears to be room.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:23:38 AM EST

On mine I had it in the suppressed setting. They made the port too big, it has a tight or rough chamber, or the extractor lip really should be wider. I don't know why they decided not to make the lip wider and similar to every other 308 semi auto out there. There appears to be room.
View Quote
So whatcha gonna do with it?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 11:54:38 AM EST
On mine I had it in the suppressed setting. They made the port too big, it has a tight or rough chamber, or the extractor lip really should be wider. I don't know why they decided not to make the lip wider and similar to every other 30h8 semi auto out there. There appears to be room.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Potss:
On mine I had it in the suppressed setting. They made the port too big, it has a tight or rough chamber, or the extractor lip really should be wider. I don't know why they decided not to make the lip wider and similar to every other 30h8 semi auto out there. There appears to be room.
We're you running a can?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:01:58 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:15:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By cjgem:

We're you running a can?
View Quote
Yes. I had surefire 762rc and sps300 I was trying on it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:30:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2017 6:35:30 AM EST by smokinghole]

There are two sides to every story and somewhere between them is the truth. All we saw here was one side of the story, I simply posted their side. If that offends or triggers you, then that's your problem not mine. IMO, there was failure on both sides of the equation.
View Quote
I deal with customer complaints and orders or order mess ups regularly. There's the simple answer as to why the customer didn't get what they wanted, and there's the nice sounding response that sort of accepts responsibility but vaguely blames it on something they didn't know was a deficiency or something out of their control. In my opinion, because I write customer responses from time to time, DTs side of the story is a convenient "its sort of our fault, but its the customers fault because he moved". With a release that took almost two years it's not out of the realm of possibility, addresses change. I'll have to take it on the forum member's word that he attempted to update addresses with DT the three times he said. What does he have to gain other than bad mouthing a company that already looks bad? If DT passes blame for not actually updating his address, and people believe it was the customers fault, they save yet another black eye. So while there's two sides to every story I haven't seen many sides where DT wasn't screwing something up with this rifle and how they handled the release and orders. The one exception is the dude that hulked down and broke the barrel screw or whatever it was.

If you're not actually affiliated with DT in anyway I've never seen someone white knight for a company in such a way. Every complaint and negative comment about DT is met with a defense from you. I'm not offended or triggered, I'm sort of fascinated. It's like how I'm fascinated with the loons in modern society. While you're entitled to your opinion and viewpoint it seems to lack objectivity on this company and this rifle. I want the rifle to be great, DT not screw it up, and it be made for more than 2000 rifles. I suspect 2000 + rifles will take a very long time to produce at this rate, but if it lives in production for only 2-3 years what was the point? I'm curious to learn what their break even point on the capital investment is and how the rate of production bears on that figure. What's been shipped, maybe 50 rifles at this point? That's purely a guess but it doesn't seem like many are going out and its been more than a month since the official "release".
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:33:00 AM EST
This is the first I've seen of a response or reply from DT. I'm not really surprised by it. I am surprised that they say it took them three days to track me down. They only called once, to the number I had on file with them. At this point tho, pointing out the holes in their story or even replying in general just makes me look like I am trying to bad mouth DT. I'm not. I won't say I was happy with my experience, but I don't feel the need to flame them. The only place I even posted about this is here, on this thread.

I'm not sure how realevent this topic is to the thread anymore. My matter was settled, I had moved on.

FA
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:27:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By smokinghole:

I deal with customer complaints and orders or order mess ups regularly.

(snip)

That's purely a guess but it doesn't seem like many are going out and its been more than a month since the official "release".
View Quote
Two key answers...

1. What does he have to gain by badmouthing DT? He's been badmouthing DT for quite some time; first due to the delay and then when he wanted to cancel. In my experience he has no reason to stop and now that he's gotten what he wants there's no reason not to sink the knife as deep as possible.

2. Why do I defend them? Two reasons; first, I give them the benefit of the doubt because this is a product development/launch process the likes of which they've never had before. Every step of the way is new for them and based on the owner's comments, they (he) reported what the production team told him. Things happen and they did scale back their announcements of when it would be released. That said, from the reviews I've seen, the consensus is that this isn't a "Gen 1" release; it's much more refined, developed, and matured. I'll take a year delay for that. Second reason that I defend them is because I'm sick and tired of the constant bashing that goes on. I can see complaining, grumbling, and such, and then moving on. But not DT. No...it's constantly a "let's beat DT!", often by people who don't have any money invested in the rifle and have no intention of ever getting one...they're just hear for the chance to put someone/something down. There needs to be a dissenting opinion or this becomes nothing more than an echo chamber where only approved opinions are allowed.

Like it, hate it, those are the reasons.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:13:59 PM EST

Two key answers...

1. What does he have to gain by badmouthing DT? He's been badmouthing DT for quite some time; first due to the delay and then when he wanted to cancel. In my experience he has no reason to stop and now that he's gotten what he wants there's no reason not to sink the knife as deep as possible.

2. Why do I defend them? Two reasons; first, I give them the benefit of the doubt because this is a product development/launch process the likes of which they've never had before. Every step of the way is new for them and based on the owner's comments, they (he) reported what the production team told him. Things happen and they did scale back their announcements of when it would be released. That said, from the reviews I've seen, the consensus is that this isn't a "Gen 1" release; it's much more refined, developed, and matured. I'll take a year delay for that. Second reason that I defend them is because I'm sick and tired of the constant bashing that goes on. I can see complaining, grumbling, and such, and then moving on. But not DT. No...it's constantly a "let's beat DT!", often by people who don't have any money invested in the rifle and have no intention of ever getting one...they're just hear for the chance to put someone/something down. There needs to be a dissenting opinion or this becomes nothing more than an echo chamber where only approved opinions are allowed.

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:18:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2017 6:21:10 PM EST by ARShooter91]

Two key answers...

View Quote
The gun industry is very competitive especially right now. Most aren't willing to hold a company's hand while they sort things out and hand them money for R&D.

I hope the MDR is an awesome rifle and everyone bashing it has to eat their words. Until then DT and the MDR have much to prove with all they hyped it up to be. No one is asking it to do the impossible, just what DT said it/they would do.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:55:47 PM EST
These ripped case heads has me pretty concerned. I have a 6.8 spc sbr that does this with a case of hornady 120 sst consistently after a couple fouling rounds. I've come to the conclusion the ammo is too hot or the powder burns too fast or with too much gas volume. I've even used tubbs carrier weight to lengthen the dwell and unlock time but it doesn't help much. Switched to federal 90 grain gold dots and not a single malfunction since. I'd suggest folks finding a particular ammo they like that works well and just buy it by the case.

For a battle rifle that needs to eat anything and everything it's a concern. For my purposes or hunting and plinking it's a non issue so long as I can get it to function with a certain hunting ammo or handload. On the bright side, there's doesn't appear to be any reason why this couldn't be a quick fix by installing an aftermarket larger extractor. Will the barrel extension allow a larger extractor to fit? Could even be a cheap upgrade by DT down the road if the problem is widespread. I have a .308 on pre order and am hoping to get it within the next 2 months
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:20:06 PM EST
41 minute MAC video on the MDR is dropping tomorrow. Watch his YouTube channel for it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:53:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2017 10:04:14 PM EST by newguy2k3]
Here's my impression thus far.

The amount of effort required to break loose the factory flash hider is not an exxageration. Luckily I had an aac blackout wrench.

It's 8lbs 11oz with a surefire 3prong socom flash hider. The ejection chute and ejector scissor mechanisms are all steel and beefy. 4.9 and 5.8oz respectively. Sure the scissor is more complicated than a regular ejector but to me it seems to negate some of the possible failure of it also.

I put a trijicon accupower 1-8 on it. The balance point of the rifle seems to always be at least slightly behind the grip, even with a 762rc mounted and no may in it. Easy to hold with one arm.

I only shot it on steel getting a rough zero and getting used to it. Recoil seemed light. Fast back on target, accurate. Brass flies 4-6ft at 1 o'clock with the chute one and some had a line down them I wouldn't call any mangled or non reloadable except a few that I'll get to. I'd say it's similarly destructive to brass as a properly gassed ar but in different ways.

I've only shot it suppressed so far with the gas plug in the suppressed setting. Having cans I don't see the point in not using them. 3 round out of the gun with South African ball ripped the rim off and stuck the case in the chamber and I had to run to the house for a cleaning rod. Out of 36 rounds it stuck one more SA and 2/2 on some 175smk/lc rounds. Fired 5 hornady 165 btsp rounds that I had without issue. Seems that others are having rim ripping issues suppressed also.

To me the trigger is a bit of a disappointment. It's completely functional and useable but I expected better. Can't find the pull gauge but it's in the 5lb range. About .050" take up and .175-.2" creep measured at very bottom of trigger and it needs to move that much to reset also. Weight wise it is better than a bushmaster gi trigger but the creep is worse. The Rfb I had had a surprisingly good trigger.

The trigger guard mag release is a little stiff but not bad considering. The actual mag catch itself didn't seem like it always wanted to pop all the way back in and engage the mag on its own at first but it seems to be smoothing out. I never fully loaded any mags but I tried m3 magpul 20 and 25rd, lancer, kac, larue, brownells aluminum and a gen 1 pmag. The gen 1 pmag consistently fell out during firing. No other mag issues.

I'm still questioning wether the forearm will sufficiently hold a dbal or atpial without drifting. Have not been able to test yet.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:03:22 PM EST
Thanks for the info newguy. I read on the bullpup forum they would be torquing the flash hiders less in the future. What concerns me is the ripping of rims. I've had suppressed AR10s and sbrs do this with some types of ammo. I really hope they can sort it out because to be honest if I can't shoot mine suppressed reliably, it's going up for sale.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 10:09:07 PM EST
What gets me is even with some of the badly over gassed ar10s I've had I have never ripped the rim off a casing. Honestly I think I'd rather the extractor slip so that I could let the bolt fly again and hopefully get it out after all the pressure is gone. Once the rim is ripped off you gotta have a rod to knock it out.
Page / 38
Top Top