Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2011 6:42:10 PM EDT
I have some old green tips from the military I got from a friend a long time ago and with me moving all over the place they go dented. So I was going to pull them. I also know from my manuals that you shouldnt load dented brass. I was wondering if there was a safe way to attempt to remove the dents? I looked all over my book and tried to google it, I feel like this may be another one of the questions that have been beaten to death and I just can't find it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot them...  chamber pressure will iron the case out to the chamber wall like nobody business right now and no more ding brass, unless it get ding again on it way out of firearm..

If you not want them, send them to me for disposal.

Got pics ?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, Sir I have removed many a dent in a cartridge case.  It's called fireforming.  Basically, it entails loading a primed case with a nominal, recommended, light load of powder with cast or jacketed bullet for the purpose of expanding the interior and exterior case walls fitting the dimentions of the firing chamber.  But, remember, INSPECT, INSPECT, and INSPECT every step of the reloading process.  Have a good day.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:48:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Most dented brass is fine to reload, it depends on where the dents are and how bad they are, photos would be helpful.

Yup. They should shoot just fine.

However if the brass is smashed into a oval and will not chamber it would be best to pull the rounds and recover the bullet and toss the case.

Or for what you paid for them you could just toss them and not feel bad.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I also know from my manuals that you shouldnt load dented brass.

Which manuals were they?

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which manuals were they?

Doesn't it say something in the -10 about discarding dented ammunition?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:55:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which manuals were they?

IIRC The Army M16 field manual says to turn in any ammo with dented cases.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:56:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which manuals were they?

IIRC The Army M16 field manual says to turn in any ammo with dented cases.

I can understand that for military use, you don't want the chance of jams in battle.

But if you size a dented case and it gauges, then they will fire just fine for range use where nobody is shooting back at you.

+1
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#11]
There is so much .223 brass floating around that we can be picky.

If they are nasty dents I pitch them.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]
If they will chamber, shoot them. If they won't, pull em down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top