Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 10:14:45 AM EDT
I am looking at the Remington 365 Mini-Dehumidifier or the 450 Gram Silica Gel Dehumidifier.  They don't need power and can be reused.

What do you recommendation...  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a golden rod, along with gel packs of dessicant. the golden rod heats up so that the temp inside the safe is warmer than the outside which prevents moisture. The golden rod is a constant draw of electricity but so nil you wont even notice it on your bill.  McM
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#2]
i use kitty litter crystals, 5 pounds and its the same descadent as they sell for gun safes. the 5# bag was only $6 at my local super pet store.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I second the kitty litter motion....does that make any sense?... Anyways... The kitty litter is another example of how someone repackages a product that has many uses and charges ya double, tripple or quadripple for it! Just like our friends that stick it to us for lubricants. The litter is the excact same material... Can be "restored" by a visit to the oven and is cheap as sh*t sorry....had to do that! I have a golden rod that someone gave me but I cant for the life of me figure out how I am going to get the cord out of the safe. I know that there are some kind of hole thingies in most safes, but how about once ya get the cord out of the bottom...How do ya get it out from under the safe? I realy dont feel comfortable applying that kind of pressure to a electric cord... Seems like it is increased resistance waiting to rear its ugly head.... Notch out the floor? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!......I said notch......hehe
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I second the kitty litter motion....does that make any sense?... Anyways... The kitty litter is another example of how someone repackages a product that has many uses and charges ya double, tripple or quadripple for it! Just like our friends that stick it to us for lubricants. The litter is the excact same material... Can be "restored" by a visit to the oven and is cheap as sh*t sorry....had to do that! I have a golden rod that someone gave me but I cant for the life of me figure out how I am going to get the cord out of the safe. I know that there are some kind of hole thingies in most safes, but how about once ya get the cord out of the bottom...How do ya get it out from under the safe? I realy dont feel comfortable applying that kind of pressure to a electric cord... Seems like it is increased resistance waiting to rear its ugly head.... Notch out the floor? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!......I said notch......hehe

I believe that safes that are designed to be able to install dehumidifier have a hole on the back or a side and not the bottom.  You wouldn't want to have 1000lbs sitting on top of a 12ga wire.

Seydou
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:42:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a goldenrod - had mine for 4 years now and nary a spec of rust on any of my firearms.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:03:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I use DampRid, plus I have a Hydrosorbent Silica Gel 750 Gram Aluminum Canister .  I frequently have to recharge the silica since my safe is in the garage and exposed to temperature changes, which is a big cause of moisture changes as well.

Perhaps the golden rod would be better.... but I don't have any rust on my firearms now.  Except for that Black Powder rifle I neglected to clean last year.....  damn.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Goldenrod as well. There is a hole in the back of my safe for a cord to run out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Or you can move to the desert, than humidity will not be a problem?

Open a bag of potato chips, leave them open on the counter for a week, they will be just as fresh and chrisp as the day you opened them!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag, for future reference......good info here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Open a bag of potato chips, leave them open on the counter for a week, they will be just as fresh and chrisp as the day you opened them!

I bet the roaches like it there too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Dessicants need to be recharged (dryed) unless they are in a completely sealed environment.  I worked with vacuum sealed chambers and molecular sieves (dessicants)  They degrade, even in an absolute vacuum.  So, your safe isn't sealed or a vacuum.  Dessicants will degrade, and rapidly if they are in high humidity.  How can you tell?  A hygrometer? A hygrometer won't tell you your dessicant is saturated accurately.   Add those up and your labor.  Goldenrods are now cheap, by comparison ($16.99).  Mine is over 10 years old.  I check it once in a while.  It works.  No rust.  7 watts.  Get some!!!

A 5-10 watt light bulb will do the same thing!!

I live in the desert.  Often, desert folks run swamp coolers.  My house is at 55% humidity right now, with it being less than 20% outdoors.  Even if you run AC or heat, often folks run a humidifier to prevent dry skin/eyes/balls/nose/etc.  

Midway linky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top