Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 7:53:17 AM EDT
I am sure it has been posted before, tried searching with limited results.

Where is the best place to buy bags/cans of dehumidifiers / silica packs for placing in my powder cabinet / containers / safe

I am in the process of getting a dehumidifier rod in my safe but until then i need to protect the contents in my safe and reloading powder under my bench with something.

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks BC
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to local wal mart, grocery store, or other general merchandise retailer.

Buy container of all crystal cat litter, and package of coffee filters.  Crystal cat litter is silica gel.  Put silica gel into coffee filters, tie bags with bread ties, tape, etc.  Voila, desiccant bags.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a thing at Lowes that is about the size of a cottage cheese container tear open plastic and dump silica in tray thing.  I bought a bag of refill to put in tray when I change it and dump wout the water.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Buy container of all crystal cat litter, and package of coffee filters.  Crystal cat litter is silica gel.  Put silica gel into coffee filters, tie bags with bread ties, tape, etc.  Voila, desiccant bags.
View Quote

Yes, BUT, buy unscented unless you want your firearms smelling like scented cat litter.  Instead of coffee filters I use ladies knee highs hosiery, pour in about a pound of unscented cat litter, tie the top and you are set.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The Airboss closet dehumidifiers at Walmart work really well and only cost around 4 bucks.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/airBoss-Closet-Dehumidifier/16326912
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:08:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, BUT, buy unscented unless you want your firearms smelling like scented cat litter.  Instead of coffee filters I use ladies knee highs hosiery, pour in about a pound of unscented cat litter, tie the top and you are set.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the replies , I have kept a box dehumidifier in my safe the past couple of years with no problems. As winter approached in the Texas panhandle (very dry / no humidity) i started to use my humidifier in my room so i didn't wake up with dry sinuses . I also keep alot of my reloading powder and the primers i cant fit in my safe under my reloading bench in my room, just wanting a way to make a few bags (coffee filters / hose) to hang underneath reloading bench / closet ..... also thinking of picking up a rubbermaid box to put the powder in .

Thanks for the tip of getting unscented
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for the replies , I have kept a box dehumidifier in my safe the past couple of years with no problems. As winter approached in the Texas panhandle (very dry / no humidity) i started to use my humidifier in my room so i didn't wake up with dry sinuses . I also keep alot of my reloading powder and the primers i cant fit in my safe under my reloading bench in my room, just wanting a way to make a few bags (coffee filters / hose) to hang underneath reloading bench / closet ..... also thinking of picking up a rubbermaid box to put the powder in .

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you decide you want to buy the traditional type silica gel in the tyvek wrappers, Amazon or ULine,

http://www.uline.com/Grp_21/Desiccants?keywords=desiccant
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#7]
if you are trying to prevent corrosion, then all you need is something to keep the temperature above dewpoint so you don't get condensation on surfaces. a dri-rod will do that nicely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top