Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/12/2003 6:36:20 PM EDT
Well deer season starts monday, excited is a good word to discribe things. Well last year I used Brenneke K.O. slugs, this year I might use the same but am looking for better slugs out there. Heres my setup incase you need to know, I use a Remington 870 express synthetic with a 20-21" barrel (never measured it) with a rifled choke tube, I also have a 4x scope on a Remington shotgun scope mount. Anyone got some suggestions? I have used Remington rifle slugs in the past, they gave me horrible accuracy so I stopped using them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:32:36 PM EDT
Try Remington copper solids. MIKE.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:11:20 PM EDT
In a rifled barrel I'd suggest Federal's Barnes Expander. In a smooth bore You might like Federal's Premium Rifled slug..

I'd also suggest you try the type you like from each of the "big three" ammo manufacturers. I may be a chauvenist when it comes to Federal ammo, but the fact is every firearm can be finicky about what ammo it likes. I liken it to feeding a cat. The cat will let you know what it likes... not the other way around.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:20:14 PM EDT
I feel fortunate to live in a state where you can hunt with rifles. I like the Winchester hollow point sabots though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:32:47 AM EDT
In New York we have rifle zones, shotgun only zones and bow only zones. In some of the shotgun zones you can also use a handgun but here on Long Island it is shotgun only no hand guns.

Fedgunner is right you should try all three major brands but since you are using a rifled choke tube also try regular foster style slugs also. MIKE.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:46:20 AM EDT
I like the Winchester BRI sabot rounds. Have shot many deer with them, and they always go down like they have been sledge hammered.
Top Top