Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2003 8:38:05 AM EDT
Well it's that time again! Monday is opening day of the New York State southern zone for deer. We have had several zones open for deer already but this is the big one. Most of the 200,000+ deer killed in the state will be killed next week. It is a mixed bag, some rifle areas and mostly shotgun. The shotgun areas that are opening this week allow handguns.

Well I am all packed, just have to get the Remington 7400 out of the safe. The rifle is sighted in, the 180 grain Remington core-lokt's are stacked in the mag's my hunting cloths have been outside for a week. All I need now is a buck to show up tomorrow morning. Good Luck to everyone, MIKE.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, Mike????? Any luck?

I'm up to 3 bambis so far this year, including a 155lbs dressed basket-racked 8 pt which met up with a 30'06 150gr SP a couple weeks back up north....southern zone has been sllloooooowwww so far, 1 doe tag filled.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:07:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I have only 2 1/2 days in the field so far, I was recalled to work both weeks. Only saw two deer this year. I have to work Thansgiving and I am leaving Friday. My whole crew has only one buck so far. We have not started shooting does. The next deer I see is dead. Yes it has been very slow. MIKE.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Filled 2 more doe tags last weekend. Any luck?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Well this goes down as the worst deer season I have ever had in 31 years of hunting. As I said I was recalled to work after opening day and after the first weekend. Had to work the Thanksgiving Parade only hunted 1 1/2 days Thanksgiving weekend and saw NO deer. Was planning to go up this last weekend buy got hit with the snowstorm. I already joined a hunting lease for Pennsylvania next year. Their opening day is the first Monday of December. I can still hunt New York. The only good news is I drew good lottery numbers for Long Island in January. We do good on Long Island.

Well I am glad that you had a good year. Did you test those 10 gauge slugs yet? MIKE.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#5]
We had perhaps 6 inches of snow from the Nor-easter that hammered you guys on the coast. Made for some pleasant hunting conditions here. Hopefully your late season will be more productive, and you'll have the TIME to actually hunt. I think I've hunted practically every weekend from October on, as well as a lot of weekdays. Of course, it helps that I can hunt as soon as I walk out my back door.

No, I haven't shot the 10g slugs yet. I have to see what I actually have for choke tubes for my SP-10. Didn't really think of that when I picked the slugs up. Now that deer season up here is winding down, that will be high on my "to shoot" list
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#6]
SP-10, Yes time is the issue, plus a 4 hour drive in the car, plus there were no deer in my area this year! Well I live on Long Island so I hope to get out more during the January season. The only draw back is no weekend hunting, only week days. I usualy hunt in the morning a go to work at night. The last time I did not shoot anything upstate was 1997. But did shoot one on the Island. Hope history repeats it self. MIKE.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Aimless, you should have taken your HK I can vividly recall the HK promo tape where they throw the rifle in a rocky creek, pick it up, shake it off, and shoot the crap out of it!

So what if you were in SZ. I doubt the neighbors would come running out to argue with a mean penquin blasting away with a
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Heh, after watching "he who shall not be named" take out a doe (repeatedly, with a shotgun, pistol, knife )...I understand completely!

I think we need to remind the good Dr. that neurons can still fire a time or 3 after life has been extinquished
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#12]
For some reason I'm reminded of that old joke...A hunter is out hunting with his old friend who had a heart attack. The hunter finds his collapsed and unresponsive old buddy, and quickly dials 911. The operator answers and says to the hunter, "first, make sure he's dead!" and then hears a gunshot over the phone line, followed by..."Yep, he's definitely dead!"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top