Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2005 6:04:28 AM EDT
I'm torn between these company's boot offerings and I can't make up my mind. Either the Danner Acadias or Oakley's offering or even 5.11's HRT boot was I considering.

Also, are there any advantages of having tan boots rather than black? (besides it blends more in desert)

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#1]

IMHO - Danner

The rough out leather is easier to take care of and blends in better just about everywhere when compared to black.
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Also, are there any advantages of having tan boots rather than black? (besides it blends more in desert) s

HEAT.   My feet bake in strong sun in black shoes or boots.

I need to get some tan myself
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 11:25:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Danners!  They are as comfortable, breathe better, last longer, and do not slip on wet surfaces as easy.  My Oakleys OTOH toast my feet in the heat and freeze them in the cold.  They are HORRIBLE  on wet pavement or concrete.YMMV
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you want the desert or regular Arcadias? I just got some of the desert GTX Arcadias. These have a gortex boot inside. I do not wear insulated boots living in Arizona. If I need warmth, I'll wear heavy weight Smart wool socks.  They are the BEST Danners I have ever owned. Got them on line for $260 shipped. There are 8 or 9 desert tan Danners available. Go to their website or go to BootBay.com to see them all.
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I am looking at the desert Acadias.

I probably will go with Danners. Thanks for the help, guys
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#6]
You are really comparing apples to oranges with those two boots.  

The Oakleys are a soft boot, meaning they are comprised of soft leather that is light in weight and no insulation but doesn't give much in the ways of support.

The Danners are a hard boot.  The Lether is stiffer and weighs a lot more than the Oakleys but does offer insulation (if you buy the insulated versions) and offers better support.

While the Oakleys are considerably cheaper than the Arcadias the Arcadias have a Vibram sole and are Gortex.

It all comes down to personal perference.  

I myself have been wearing the Danner Arcadias for the last 3 years and have to say they are the best boot I've had yet.  Once you get used to the weight they are a life saver.  Been a few times wear the people around me were complaining of cold wet feet and mine were toasty and dry.

Remember if you take care of your dogs your dogs will take care of you!

- Go
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been nothing but pleased with my Oakleys.
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The Oakleys are a soft boot, meaning they are comprised of soft leather that is light in weight and no insulation but doesn't give much in the ways of support.

The Danners are a hard boot.  The Lether is stiffer and weighs a lot more than the Oakleys but does offer insulation (if you buy the insulated versions) and offers better support.

While the Oakleys are considerably cheaper than the Arcadias the Arcadias have a Vibram sole and are Gortex.

I myself have been wearing the Danner Arcadias for the last 3 years and have to say they are the best boot I've had yet.  Once you get used to the weight they are a life saver.  Been a few times wear the people around me were complaining of cold wet feet and mine were toasty and dry.

- Go

+1.  I've had regualr Acadias (and the old Olympic, now the Recon IIRC) and liked them for colder/wet environments.  I got a pair of Desert Acadias when deployed in 2003 and did not like them at all.  Very hot, heavy, and stiff for desert boots.  I prefer the issue desert boots to the Desert Acadias for the sandbox.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Speaking of boots, has anyone also tried 5.11's HRT boot? Much cheaper than Danners and Oakleys.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Speaking of boots, has anyone also tried 5.11's HRT boot? Much cheaper than Danners and Oakleys.

I'm trying a pair and I don't predict these things lasting very long but time will tell
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Acadias all the way.The best.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Also, are there any advantages of having tan boots rather than black? (besides it blends more in desert)

Thanks

As stated before, they dont get as hot as black boots.  Id hate to wear black boots in 140 degrees with the sun directly on them.  But, if you live in a place like the pacific northwest, alaska, hawaii, florida, or any other place that gets a lot of rain, then I definitely choose black boots anyday.  The reason the desert boots fall apart in Iraq so fast is due to the winter, as soon as they start getting soaked and dried a couple times they turn very brittle.  With black boots or any boot with a smooth surface you have polish that protects the leather from becoming wet, thus protecting it.  I have all leather and jungle boots that I have been using for over 6 years, just now starting to show cracks but none are leaking water yet.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had a pair of Acadias that I have worn working for a few years, they are the best boots I have owned.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I live in extreme climates, meaning it's cold here in winter and hotter than hell in the summer. I know I want to go with Danners, however with so many different models to choose from anyone have any suggestions for a first time purchase? Is it better to go with an uninsulated boot and use different brands of socks for the seasons, etc???
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- Go

+1.  I've had regualr Acadias (and the old Olympic, now the Recon IIRC) and liked them for colder/wet environments.  I got a pair of Desert Acadias when deployed in 2003 and did not like them at all.  Very hot, heavy, and stiff for desert boots.  I prefer the issue desert boots to the Desert Acadias for the sandbox.

They are the hottest desert boots I have ever worn, might be great for Afghanistan in Winter but were way too hot for Iraq in summer.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I live in extreme climates, meaning it's cold here in winter and hotter than hell in the summer. I know I want to go with Danners, however with so many different models to choose from anyone have any suggestions for a first time purchase? Is it better to go with an uninsulated boot and use different brands of socks for the seasons, etc???

I would suggest uninsulated.  You can always wear an extra pair or heavier pair of socks for the winter.  But it is hard to make insulated boots cooler.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Are you sure?  I believe it is the other way around.  Everything I have heard is that GoreTex keeps you dry/wicks away sweat.  This is key in keeping your feet warm but what can normal socks do to keep you dry once you are wet?  Unless you are talking about the water resistent Goretex socks out there.  Are you?  I think to keep your feet the warmest you really need both.  Uninsulated boots will still be quite cold even with a goretex liner.

storm.cadcam.iupui.edu/drs/fabrics/goretex.html

www.gore-tex.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentGView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=10367

Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Have you considered the Bates M9 boots.
Similar to the Oakleys but higher at 9" These are all the rage right now in service.
go to www.lightfighter.net, go into the "stud board" Look for the multi page thread and evaluation under " best boots I have ever owned" This thread will change your mind, lots of experiance. I have them and bought 2 extra pair to have packed away for future use. They are the best IMHO.
cp
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Gore-Tex keeps your feet dry.  It is just a thin, multi-layer fabric and membrane that keeps water droplets out while allowing wator vapor (read sweat from your feet) to escape.  It breathes, but not at the same rate as say cotton duck from the old jungle boots.  While it is not insulation, the lower rate of breathability does cause your feet to be slightly warmer.

If you are intending to use the boots in a generally temperate or wet environment, go with the regular black Acadias.  If your AO is colder, get the insulated Acadias or the all leather, insulated Danner Recon.  

I would avoid suede or roughside out boots for use in wet environments.  They get wet, and stay wet, and eventually will dry rot out.  There is a reason beyond parade that we put polish on boots.

Also consider the soles.  Light assault boots with the soft, grippy, athletic shoe sole are great if you are working in buildings or on a ship.  They are light and quick.  But, they suck for field use.  Not enough suport if you are carrying any kind of load over rough terrain, you feet will be hurting.  They also won't last as long in the field due to different construction methods and materials.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Gore-Tex keeps your feet dry.  It is just a thin, multi-layer fabric and membrane that keeps water droplets out while allowing wator vapor (read sweat from your feet) to escape.  It breathes, but not at the same rate as say cotton duck from the old jungle boots.  While it is not insulation, the lower rate of breathability does cause your feet to be slightly warmer.  

This is what I was trying to say earlier.

Thanks for saying it better, and +1.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I've got a pair that I've had since late august. They are a light-medium duty boot. Extremely comfortable and well thought out. Good support, great traction.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the help, guys!

I'll take a look at the LF boards

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#24]
you should check out the lowa "seeker desert pt" boot......www.lowaboots.com and also
www.militarymorons.com has a review of them....I bought them after reading the review there.....

Basically, a guy in my unit works for the lacrosse boot store in WI which owns Danner and I got a new pair of desert acadia's for $120.....they were heavy and IMO they sucked (other than the outstanding durability)......

so about 8 of us bought Oakley assault boots- while they are comfortable, they are made in China and made like sh1t......my soles were coming unattached after 2 months of training- and most of the people who bought the Oakley's are having issues with them- they fall apart like Tennis shoes......

I ran into these Lowa boots and they are as comfortable as the Oakley's, yet made with better materials (cordura, vibram) and so far have held up superbly....... (not to mention they are made in Europe instead of China....).....

I'm the only U.S. soldier I know that has the Lowa's but I let a buddy try on the Lowa's who has the same size feet and use them- he said, "they are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn", and has since ordered a pair.......

Basically, they are light and comfy as hell with excellent traction/durability....the only downside is they aren't the prettiest boots but they still look good......guess the Oakley's spoiled me lookswise
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#26]
=delete=

double post
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the wonderful feedback, SKD_Tactical and hyperion! I'm now torn between the Lowas and the 5.11s...

No place near me offers them in stores
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:40:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Not sure if it matters to you but I believe ......Lowa is made in Europe, 5.11 boots in China......
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Thanks for the wonderful feedback, SKD_Tactical and hyperion! I'm now torn between the Lowas and the 5.11s...

No place near me offers them in stores

Get Danners from SKD Tactical.  I bought a pair of Ft. Lewis bots from them and recieved them in just a few days.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Lowa rocks! Lowa Alpines are da bomb.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:23:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Im still trying to decide but I like hightop boots
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Im still trying to decide but I like hightop boots

For the money, you can't beat the goretex Wolverines in the link I posted!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#33]

so about 8 of us bought Oakley assault boots- while they are comfortable, they are made in China and made like sh1t......my soles were coming unattached after 2 months of training- and most of the people who bought the Oakley's are having issues with them- they fall apart like Tennis shoes......

There are actually two different makes of Oakley Boots.  There is a Chi-com version and there is a USA version.  The USA version can be identified as a sterile outward appearance with the "O" stamped into the leather.

The ones with a red triangle on the heel or the little metal "O" are the Chinese version and I heard they suck.  The USA ones are the true issue version.  Hard to find and worth the money IMHO.

I love my Oakleys!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#34]
it's funny you mention that because in the last week I found out about the US. made oakley's and am going to order a pair when c4i grant gets them in stock (this month) it sounds like........I'll make sure to post what I think about the differences of the chinese vs. us. oakleys.....I can tell you the chinese ones suck....and it has nothing to do with supporting the communists....they are literally made to fall apart....
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Love my 511 ATACS.  Hope to get another pair for Christmas.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:40:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I've got direct experience will all these boots-

Danners are going to last you the longest- they are a hard working boot.  Most of our Danner customers are previous Danner owners who are looking for a new style, or replacing their old pair that they owned for 10 years and re-soled 3 or 4 times.  You can't buy better quality construction.  

Oakleys are basically an overbuilt sneaker.  They are comfortble as heck, but a major downside is that they squeak way too much when wet and worn inside on hard floors.  

5.11 HRT boots were designed from the ground up as a tactical assaulter's boot.  Lightweight, waterproof and fast, if you dont need boots for rescue or really hard ground-pounding, the HRTs are the ticket.  We put over 100 NYPD ESU officers into HRTs this year after it was put onto their approved boot list.  Great boot.

Hope that helps.  
Joe

Danner are the best you'll find for normal use, 5.11 boots are good for raids, Oakleys are good for trying to impress your friends (who don't have to wear them).  i'm partial though, my Danner Mountain Light 2 boots are on their fifth sole and the uppers are still in great shape.

Like SKD, i have been able to use all three.  if i had to pick just one it would be the Danners, they feel great and just won't die.  

next up would be the 5.11 boots, they're light, comfortable and pretty well-built... but not as waterproof as they claim.  they were a little too narrow in the toe for me too, might've been just that pair though.

the Oakley boots have no arch support and the rands on the outer edges of mine started to come undone after about two months.  they were issued boots, i don't know if they're knock-offs or not though.

BTW, they are all available in black and rough-out tan leather.  you don't have to polish black boots to keep them looking good.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#37]
I've been wearing a pair of the new Oakley Gatling boots for about a week. They are very comfortable and seem to address the durability issues with the Assault boots. The leather is thicker than the Assaults and has more reinforcements. The tread is grippy, more of a traditional pattern and no squeaks.
The Gatling boots are like a lightweight Danner Acadia, but with better ankle support. The Gatling outsoles are a bit bouncy and softer than Vibram outsoles. Time will tell how long they will last. Once they wear out, I'll probably get them resoled with Vibram. The price is a little less than the Danner Acadias, because they are made in China.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top