Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2005 5:22:40 PM EDT
Has anyone any experience with the Danish Garands CMP is selling without wood?  I know about them being in the lend/lease program to the Danes, but what condition are they in now?  Are they worth the money for putting them in wood?  Are the barrels good?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have experience with owning a Dane, but when they were selling whole Dane rifles a lot came with replacement barrels. The Danes rearsenalled some and put in VAR barrels, which were much more accurate than the stock barrels.
If the woodless Garands have VAR barrels they would definately be worth buying.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:10:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I purchased one of the woodless Danish M1's last year. Receiver was WW2, barrel was a later replacement which was in good shape. Finish was very worn and I had the metal repakerized, purchased a Boyd's stock set and I have a rifle that looks new. Some of the parts that came on mine were Italian.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:26:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey OD, I'm on the fence as well with the Danes. I wonder if CMP would pick a VAR barrel is requested. But if there is an up charge, then I might as well buy another FG.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#4]
They are rack grades and for a reason. I picked one up the other day before the price increase and got a lead-dipped 1943 receiver with the original barrel. The muzzle swallowed a M2 round within a half millimeter of the brass. A couple of PB parts and the rest USGI. If you are looking for a WWII receiver the Danes are a good bet. If you are looking to throw a set of wood on it and have a nice looking shooter then pick something else.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top