Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2003 4:42:51 PM EDT
I am wanting to buy a Dolphon upper in either .45 or .40SW.

They are about $580 on their web site and mags are about $79, 28rd and 35rd.

Anyone own one of these?  Comments.....??

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I've not seen one, but my understanding is it is just an Olympic upper. Their mags are better though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Like C_J said, my understanding is that its just an Oly upper.

My Oly .40 rocks.

Get whatever caliber you already have - .40 or .45.

www.olyarms.com

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 4:29:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I think that may be the next AR project.  I wanted a pistol caliber carbine, so I could use my .45 reloads, as it's dirt cheap.  Thought about getting an Auto Ordinance Thompson (one of the new semi ones), but could probably build a decent AR with a pistol caliber upper, and be able to mount all kinds of goodies on it.  

What those things use for magazines?  Thompson mags, or M3 mags?
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a Dalphon AR 20" and all the info I could find on it pointed to it being an oly. My cousin now has the rifle and it has always performed well. There was a time that the Dalphon guy, Jay , I believe is his name , had a bad reputation and everybody and their mother wanted to find him for some bad deal or another. I only read this on the net and when I met him at the Big Reno Show(before I read the net stories) he seemed fair enough to me and did me right in trade .
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think that may be the next AR project.  I wanted a pistol caliber carbine, so I could use my .45 reloads, as it's dirt cheap.  Thought about getting an Auto Ordinance Thompson (one of the new semi ones), but could probably build a decent AR with a pistol caliber upper, and be able to mount all kinds of goodies on it.  

What those things use for magazines?  Thompson mags, or M3 mags?

Negative on the magazines.  Both of those are too wide to fit in the magazine well.  A few companies are working on a billet lower that has a wider mag well.  .45 Uzi magzines work but are expensive and they only hold 16 rounds.  Some people use the magazines you mentioned but they squeeze them so that they will fit.  The one I have doesn't work well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Jim,

Thanks for the info... I dug around on Oly's site, and found some info about the mags.  Damnit, I want some 30 round .45 magazines!!

I love the ergonomics of the AR, and since I am wanting to shoot more in some tactical carbine matches, it would be great.  But since I handload .45acp, it would be more cost effective to me to use that ammo, than it would be to buy surplus .223 (not by too much, but I'd still save a few bucks per 1000 rounds).  I do want to get one of the Auto Ordinance Thompsons, but lugging a 10lb carbine would be a pain, when an AR could be around 7lb or so.  

We'll have to see... I may just get the AO, since I'd have to get a lower to put a pistol caliber upper on anyway.  It would probably come out around the same amount of $$
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Kurt's Kustom should be making a dedicated billet lower soon.  I beleive that his will use Thompson magazines.  I started a thread sometime last year asking Calvary Arms if they could make a dual 5.56mm and .45 upper.  They seem to think they can but the project has been moved to the back burner.  I have an Olympic .45 upper ready to go as soon a someone comes up with a reliable lower that uses cheap high-capacity .45 magazines.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top