Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 4:31:21 PM EDT
Does anyone out there know anything about these guns.  I think the K1A1 has the sliding stock ala HKMP5....is this correct?  Does the K2 have the folder?  Is one better or more desireable by collectors than the other.  Any info relative to the above is appreciated.  Thanks.  Cloak

In the mean time, I'm going to take a drive on the information Super Highway and look for info.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest that you look elsewhere for a good rifle. The DAEWOO's are good rifles, but, there are no spare parts available. The Daewoo's are prone to firing pin breakage among other parts. Charles the Gunsmith.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Does anyone out there know anything about these guns.  I think the K1A1 has the sliding stock ala HKMP5....is this correct?  Does the K2 have the folder?  Is one better or more desireable by collectors than the other.  Any info relative to the above is appreciated.  Thanks.  Cloak

In the mean time, I'm going to take a drive on the information Super Highway and look for info.

Thanks, Charles, as a gunsmith (which I am not) I certainly respect your opinion, as I'm sure you are more knowledgeable than I.  I am looking at this more from a collector's standpoint than a shooter's (I have guns that I shoot the piss out of, that luckily go bang....at least 99.9% of the time ).  From a collector standpoint, is one rarer than the other, or for some other reason such as durability, features, etc., more desireable for any other reason?  So far in my research, it appears the Daewoo K1A1 is the one I'm looking for.  It has a much shorter barrel and a sliding stock as opposed to a side folder.  Any more info is greatly appreciated!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC the K1 is very similar to the M16 in terms of the gas system. The fixed stock K2 is more like the FN FNC in that it is a blend of the M16 and the AK47 operating systems. On the K2 the gas system is similar to the AK's. Both were good guns. I believe that the K1 was imported in lower numbers than the K2. That would probably make the K1 more 'collectible'. I have made barrels for both k1's and K2's they really are nice rifles. It is a shame there are no parts available to keep them running. Take care. Charles.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, then, as much as I love the AR15, the "shit on yourself" gas system leaves alot to be desired.  The K2 sounds like the type of gun I'd really get into......decisions, decisions.  I'll let you know which, if any, I choose.   Keep the feedback and info coming.  Thanks again, Charles, take care!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:18:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I have had both a K1A1 and  DR200 (thumbhole stock version of the K2 imported by Kimber). The K1A1 is much lighter and much more compact (due to the AR style gas system).  The DR200 has a regulator and a piston system (AK style chrome piston) and ran great and cleaner. The scope mounts for the DR200 common but I don't recall seeing one for the K1A1. The flash suppressor is machined in the barrel on the K1A1 and looks great. Ace makes a conversion stock kit for  the DR200's to replace the thumb hole. The Stock on the K1A1 is a wire stock with a rubber pad molded over the end. It extends futher than a AR15 stock and can be shortened much shorter. The K1A1 handles great, runs perfect and weighs much less. The DR200 runs great, stays a bit cleaner, and has a longer barrel. I prefer the K1A1 myself but the lack of spare parts causes me to keep it in the safe. I traded the DR200 for the same reason. The K1A1 is my favorite open sight gun but unless spare parts become available it will see very limited use. Prices for a K1A1 (if you can find one) are  1000-1400 dollars. DR200 run 500-700 dollars. K2 prices are roughly the same as a K1A1.

Mantra
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:32:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, Mantra!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:09:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I own a K2 and a DR-200 and I don't worry about parts as much as most people seem to.  I still shoot both, though since the end of the ban, the DR-200 with the ACE folder has seen more action lately.  The parts issue is something to consider, but it's not an automatic "reject" for me.  

There are several Daewoo rifles:  
K1A1, Max I, and AR-110C are all the same rifle imported by different people.  It uses an AR-15 type gas system, and has the wire collapsing stock.  

K2, Max II, and AR 100 are all the same rifle imported by different people.  It uses an AK type gas system, gas regulator, and has a solid, side folding stock.  Barrel twist is 1/7.

The DR-200 is the post-ban version of the K2.  Barrel twist is 1/12.

The DR-300 is a DR-200 that is chambered in 7.62x39 and uses the AR-15 mags for the 7.62x39 AR.

There are fewer K1A1's in the US, and prices tend to be a couple hundred higher than a K2.  You rarely see the DR-300, so collecting wise, those two are the best bets.

I personally think the K2 is a better rifle than the M16A1 it replaced in the ROK Army.  The ROK was already making M16's under license, when they went looking for a new rifle.  The wanted one that could fold up smaller than the M16 (which has the buffer tube, so it will never be smaller than a true folder can), was as reliable as an AK, but still as accurate and light as an M16.  Pretty interesting requirements that were met by the K2.  If you think about all the up roar over AR piston uppers, etc. you'll realize that the Koreans had it figured out and in production decades ago.

The rifle doesn't have all the accesory support that the AR does.  It's not void of them though.  It does take the M16A1 bipod and bayonet, and also both FAL and HK-91 handguards can be modified to fit. so you can have rails if that's what you're into.  

The fire control parts are replaceable with AR-15 parts.  They drop right in.  You can't mix AR and Daewoo FCG parts though supposedly.  Stick to one or the other.  Most of the parts that aren't AR compatible in some way are IMO improvments.  The ejector is not the spring loaded one on the AR, but a solid piece of steel like on an AK.  Unlike the AK's the Daewoo ejector is actually easy to replace if damaged. The problem being, of course, finding an ejector to replace it with.  You'd probably have to make one, though it's a simple straight piece of steel, so it shouldn't be too hard.  But it's a perfect example of the quandry of owning a DAEWOO.

I like the rifle.  I think it's better than most, and equal to the rest.  I wish it had parts available, but have to admit that I haven't broken anything yet either.  The parts situation doesn't stop me from owning, shooting, or even working the rifle hard, but it is something you need to understand.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:17:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:26:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I havbe an AR-100. THe daewoo rifle went by several names.

They are light, SP1 type light.

They are over-built. Spare parts are of little issue. The Daewoo owner group on Yahoo has made spares for these.

The folding tock i a great, sturdy, comfortable design.

I am looking to sell mine with a scope mount if interested, building a engine for my car.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to all who replied for the wealth of information......that's what makes this site so great- the great members who are willing and able to help others out all the time.......however, all the info is making my decision harder!!!!  Maybe I'll get both!!  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#11]
BTW, Is $1,450 too much to pay for a 99% K1A1???  From the pics on Sturmgewher (link posted by Noname.....thanks), the thing looks totally cherry (although a box and paperwork is always nice to have as a collector!).  Anyway, opinions on the above appreciated, as always.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I would recommend the preban Daewoo with the side folding stock, AR100, MAX2, K2

it's the more desirable of the Daewoo series because:

it has a better gas system, with adjustable gas regulator, the flash hide [grenade launcher] is removable
and has the same thead size as an AR15

the FNC style side folding stock is very solid and has zero play

this is also the standard infantry rifle of the ROK army

I read that the standard sized K2 rifle with the stock folded is about the same size as the AR110C carbine
because the AR110c has a permanently attached long flash hider to comply with federal laws to make the barrel legal in length.

the K2 rifle can also accept the upper receiver of the AR110C carbine but the carbine cannot accept the upper receiver off a standard length K2 because the retractable stock wont work on the K2 receiver

the K2 is more versatile and has a longer barrel and longer sight radius 18" barrel with a 1 / 12" right hand twist just like an AR15A1 model

it's a high quality piece that seldom breaks

chrome lined bolt carrier, chrome lined bore & chamber, stainless steel heat shields under hand guards
accepts same bayonet as AR15 / M16 , accepts any mag or drum that an AR15 / M16 can use

has M16A1 rear drum sights , winter trigger guard that opens for use with heavy gloves, oil bottle inside pistol grip, stainless steel gas piston
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:45:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, DienBienPhu54!  That is some solid info!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I have owned both. I prefer the K2, since it is pretty much a straight semi copy of the ROK standard rifle, whereas the K1 does not exactly duplicate anything in the ROK arsenal, due to the Fed mandated 16 1/2 inch barrel, which is noticeably longer than any of the K1 based ROK short barrel rifles/SMG's. From a shooting standpoint, there is no competition. Like most wire sliding stocks, the K1 is not very conducive to good shooting, whereas the K2 is the best folding stock I have ever used on any weapon. It is rock solid when extended and does not work itself loose with extended use like an AR-180 or other stocks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have owned both. I prefer the K2, since it is pretty much a straight semi copy of the ROK standard rifle, whereas the K1 does not exactly duplicate anything in the ROK arsenal, due to the Fed mandated 16 1/2 inch barrel, which is noticeably longer than any of the K1 based ROK short barrel rifles/SMG's. From a shooting standpoint, there is no competition. Like most wire sliding stocks, the K1 is not very conducive to good shooting, whereas the K2 is the best folding stock I have ever used on any weapon. It is rock solid when extended and does not work itself loose with extended use like an AR-180 or other stocks.

Thanks, Slufstuff.  I have decided to get both the K2 for posterity's sake, as it is a true military weapon, inasmuch as it is in use or has been used by a nation's military; and the K1A1, just because it's so damn cool and short (it's like a 5.56mm pistol with the wire stock removed!!!).  As a collector, I may or may not shoot one or the other anyway, and I certainly don't plan on allowing them to go "slummin" and make it into the section of the vault designated for "range guns only"  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#17]
From a collectors standpoint, I'd say Hell yeah for the K1A1, however I've never shot one.

I did own a DR200 for a while, and liked it quite a bit.  It was cool looking and rare, it shot Ok but mine had some reliability issues.  I'm a shooter more than a collector and reliability is a top priority.  So I traded it for a couple AR lowers and a good deal of cash.

If I ever finish school, have the money and find a good deal, I may own another someday.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a DR-200 and DR-300 and both are cool guns.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Thanks, Slufstuff. I have decided to get both the K2 for posterity's sake, as it is a true military weapon, inasmuch as it is in use or has been used by a nation's military; and the K1A1, just because it's so damn cool and short (it's like a 5.56mm pistol with the wire stock removed!!!). As a collector, I may or may not shoot one or the other anyway, and I certainly don't plan on allowing them to go "slummin" and make it into the section of the vault designated for "range guns only"

Well done!

And in the finest of ARFCOM Tradition-------------"GET BOTH...!"

Money is always easy to get----Finding the firearms you want is harder...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Thanks, Slufstuff. I have decided to get both the K2 for posterity's sake, as it is a true military weapon, inasmuch as it is in use or has been used by a nation's military; and the K1A1, just because it's so damn cool and short (it's like a 5.56mm pistol with the wire stock removed!!!). As a collector, I may or may not shoot one or the other anyway, and I certainly don't plan on allowing them to go "slummin" and make it into the section of the vault designated for "range guns only"

Well done!

And in the finest of ARFCOM Tradition-------------"GET BOTH...!"

Money is always easy to get----Finding the firearms you want is harder...

Here, here........I'll raise a toast to that........fo sho!!!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#22]
his
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top