Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2014 6:19:54 PM EDT
Hey guys I'm considering getting an FAL and I'm not sure what I should get. Ok so baseicly what I wanna know is which is better an original FN FAL or a DS ARMS FAL. Now I don't care about resell value or price. I just know which is an overall better gun in terms of preformance. I've heard spotty reviews about DSA so I'm a little hesitant. But it could be just a few minor QC issues from the past. But anyways look forward to hearing what you guys think

Thanks is advance!
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#1]
if money is no object... FN FAL
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Let's think about this....

Should I buy a Colt 1911 or one of the various "clones" of a 1911? Of course the original is going to be the most sought-after. The original FN is the crem-de-la-cream of the FALs that are out there. A DSA manufactured rifle can be a damn good rifle as well. There were QC issues it seems, some time back though. Colt may have put out a crap gun a time or two as well....  I shy away myself from any 1911 that is not a Colt but I own a DSA FAL. I've got an older STG58. It was an old Belgian mfg kit with a Steyer barrel that was re-manufactured into an FAL by DSA by remanufacturing a receiver for the thing. Would I buy another? Hell yes! Unfortunately DSA no longer has a source for STG 58 parts kits as they have dried-up.

From the feedback on here as well as the rest of the "web" there were some quality control issues with DSA built rifles recently. I don't have a recent mfg rifle to give you feedback on but I can say that MY old STG is 100% good to go. if you don't mind looking for a good rifle maybe you can find one. It should be easier and less costly than finding a true FN FAL.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 9:16:19 AM EDT
[#3]
If you can find an FN FAL in the configuration you want at a price you can afford then you have the best of both worlds.  It will perform whatever task you desire and it will be a good investment.  However, that's the benefit of DSA, Gunplumber (ARS) and similar vendors/gunsmiths - they can give you exactly what you want at a reasonable price and ensure the gun runs every bit as well as any FN FAL you care to mention.  No copy will ever have the investment value of the original but then you never have to face the fact that using it will consistently decrease it value to everyone else.

As a former owner of a G series I was faced with this very dilemma when I got back into FALs a few years ago.  I wanted to recapture the original, but not at $7K-$10K.  So I bought a friend's DSA built para for a very good price, then sent it to DSA for them to convert to their Congo configuration.  Here is the result.

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss127/cprher/FN%20FAL/guns001_zpsba17511b.jpg

The gun performs every bit as well as any FN I've ever shot, is very accurate for a small carbine with iron sights and takes up very little space.  With the money I saved I was able to build two others:  an Israeli clone and a scoped FAL, which was not meant to copy any particular configuration.  It's only purpose was to be as accurate as possible.

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss127/cprher/FN%20FAL/IMAG0029_zpsfa5eff7b.jpg

My total investment was less than the $7K entry price for the G series I used to have.  In my opinion, that is a very smart investment.  I got EXACTLY what I want, can shoot them at will without any undue guilt and can turn around and sell them in the future without any problem.

Keith
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#4]
You can get into a Springfield SAR-48 for under $2k and it's every bit as good as an FN and far better than a DSA.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#5]
early built DSA STG58(all STG parts - receiver)

and a early built 16'' LW model.

know nothing about the newer one's.

no problems with either one.

clown

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 1:29:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can get into a Springfield SAR-48 for under $2k and it's every bit as good as an FN and far better than a DSA.
View Quote
DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 2:37:02 AM EDT
[#7]
DS Arms SA58

Here is what I am getting...

DS Arms SA58 18 MCCM

18 inch 4150 CMV barrel
PWS FSC30 flash hider
Troy vertical grip
Magpul collapsible folding stock
Ergo grip pistol grip
Aimpoint M4s
DS Arms 25 round FAL magazines
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 3:47:01 AM EDT
[#8]

If it's a DSA with an LMT made receiver, then.. I'd be confident.

But.. a DSA SA58 with a DSA in-house made receiver, no thanks.

And, for the record, I have 2 DSA FALs.

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can find an FN FAL in the configuration you want at a price you can afford then you have the best of both worlds.  It will perform whatever task you desire and it will be a good investment.  However, that's the benefit of DSA, Gunplumber (ARS) and similar vendors/gunsmiths - they can give you exactly what you want at a reasonable price and ensure the gun runs every bit as well as any FN FAL you care to mention.  No copy will ever have the investment value of the original but then you never have to face the fact that using it will consistently decrease it value to everyone else.

As a former owner of a G series I was faced with this very dilemma when I got back into FALs a few years ago.  I wanted to recapture the original, but not at $7K-$10K.  So I bought a friend's DSA built para for a very good price, then sent it to DSA for them to convert to their Congo configuration.  Here is the result.

The gun performs every bit as well as any FN I've ever shot, is very accurate for a small carbine with iron sights and takes up very little space.  With the money I saved I was able to build two others:  an Israeli clone and a scoped FAL, which was not meant to copy any particular configuration.  It's only purpose was to be as accurate as possible.total investment was less than the $7K entry price for the G series I used to have.  In my opinion, that is a very smart investment.  I got EXACTLY what I want, can shoot them at will without any undue guilt and can turn around and sell them in the future without any problem.

Keith
View Quote

I didnt see the Congo Carbine listed on DSA's site anymore, are they no longer making it?  BTW, nice guns!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top