Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/24/2006 9:10:13 PM EDT
I'm selling some stuff to get either a SA58 carbine or an STG58 Para Carbine. I can get both for about the same price. What is the strengths and weaknesses of the SA vs STG series? Any downside to using an aluminum lower on the SA? Is the barrel chrome lined on either of them? What if any accuracy difference should be expected between the two? Anyone know how well used the STG's parts are that DSA uses? I just can't figure out which I want. I know nothing about Fals and need help. Is there really a good reason to pay the extra for the SA series over the STG currently for a good carbine that is?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:41:38 PM EDT
I would go with the STG Para and change the handguards to the style that the carbine comes with. The kits STG that are used are in excellent to like new condition. Neither will have a chrome-lined barrel. I have the aluminum lower on my para and I like the savings in weight. As far as durabilty I doubt in my lifetime I will shoot it enough to break it so I really could not tell you. The only advantage I can see with the SA series is you get a new barrel but the one that will come with the STG will not be used very much.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:48:28 AM EDT
STG, and the Steyr barrel on it will have a chromed chamber, unchromed bore. I Like Steyr parts.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:08:47 AM EDT
I'm leaning towards the STG. I just need to decide now between a type 1 or 2 reciever. Any suggestions as to which is better and why?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:32:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mlm1219:
I would go with the STG Para and change the handguards to the style that the carbine comes with. The kits STG that are used are in excellent to like new condition. Neither will have a chrome-lined barrel. I have the aluminum lower on my para and I like the savings in weight. As far as durabilty I doubt in my lifetime I will shoot it enough to break it so I really could not tell you. The only advantage I can see with the SA series is you get a new barrel but the one that will come with the STG will not be used very much.

Is there a benefit besides weight reduction in changing the handguards?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:21:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SIG_220:

Originally Posted By mlm1219:

Is there a benefit besides weight reduction in changing the handguards?

They do not get as hot as quickly and they are more comfortable IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:31:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 12:29:22 PM EDT by BB]

Originally Posted By SIG_220:
I'm selling some stuff to get either a SA58 carbine or an STG58 Para Carbine. I can get both for about the same price. What is the strengths and weaknesses of the SA vs STG series? Any downside to using an aluminum lower on the SA? Is the barrel chrome lined on either of them? What if any accuracy difference should be expected between the two? Anyone know how well used the STG's parts are that DSA uses? I just can't figure out which I want. I know nothing about Fals and need help. Is there really a good reason to pay the extra for the SA series over the STG currently for a good carbine that is?

What you need to ask yourself, is the folding stock worth the extra money? An StG58C is the same configuration as the SA58C carbine, with exception to the steel lower on the StG. You should be able to get the StG for at least $200 less than the SA, and that goes for the folding versions as well.
My StG58CP rifle was built using an unissued kit.
The barrel is not chrome lined, the chamber is. Nothing is chrome lined on an SA.
The StG handguards are steel and GET HOT. The handguards on the SA are plastic copies of FN handguards, and they suck. Whichever you choose I'd switch to surplus Imbel or Izzy handguards.
The StG is almost all Steyr; a major W. European military contractor, made at the height of the cold war. Quality is not a question. The flimsy BS handguards on the SA make me wonder what other sub-standard cheapo commerical parts is on them.
There is no downside to the alloy lower. I wish I had one to save the weight. I'll gladly trade.
The fixed stock feels a little better than the folder.
The 18" barrel gives you more velocity than the 16". I prefer to go with the 18". The 18" barrel can be ordered on the fixed stock rifles as well.
I ordered mine with no carry handle cut; I don't like the carry handle on carbine models. It looks much cleaner.
The SA has a MUCH better warranty than the StG.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:09:59 PM EDT
Actually, even though the stg is cheaper usually, i think i'd still choose it over a SA. Having quality original military parts means something to me for sure. The SA might shoot better with match grade ammo, but incredible accuracy is not why i bought a FAL. That being said, I think my STG carbine shoots better than my full size M1A. I haven't scoped it, so not sure how good it could be, but it's not bad at all.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:15:41 PM EDT
On semi only rifles, the choice between a type 1 or type 2 receiver is strictly a cosmetic issue.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:22:54 PM EDT
Get the carbine.
I have a rifle STG58 and wish I would have gotten the carbine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:45:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KA3B:
Get the carbine.
I have a rifle STG58 and wish I would have gotten the carbine.

I agree. While I realize it's not usually standard, the shorter barrel does seem much better. 18" works for me, but would probably feel pretty comfortable with the 16" as well.
Top Top