Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 3:17:45 AM EDT
Finally, I finished my L1A1 build last night. British kit on a DSA L1A1 receiver.

I seem to remember L1A1's NOT having a last shot bolt hold open. The bolt hold open pin is too short to be raised by the mag follower to result in holding he bolt open on the last shot. I seem to remember inch guns having no last shot hold open. Am I correct? Am I wrong? In any event, I am swapping it out for a metric bolt hold open to resolve the issue.

Can anyone tell me how to get a pic posted on this site? I will post pics of the build.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#1]
commonwealth FALs did not use the BHO feature.
IIRC the hole for the BHO on inch guns is a tad smaller id than metric.
shouldn't be too hard to fit a metic in there or to replace the pin in the BHO you have

under the text box when you're posting is a little yellowish square, clik it then paste in the URL where you have the pic hosted. i don't use the attach feature, think you have to contribute i dunno
if you don't have a way to host em email em to me if you like
FALna45 at gmail.com
wanna see!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#2]
You are correct on the Inch pattern kits not having an auto bolt hold open.

The pin you are referring to on your hold open is merely a guide pin that rides in the channel groove and prevents/limits the hold open from turning/twisting.

The location of the pin is in the correct spot if you choose to make a new longer pin that enguages the mag follower tab, it can be made active on the last shot. You can punch it out and replace it with a roll pin or drill rod cut to fit. The pin has a 2 step shoulder and comes out from back to front.

Also true, you can simply install a metric one and be done with it. The metric will fit alittle looser in the channel, as it is a smaller diameter.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:The metric will fit alittle looser in the channel, as it is a smaller diameter.

ahh, i had it backwards!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Try to get your hands on a metric bolt hold open. Note the shape of the pin. A replacement pin in your inch bolt hold open must be ground to the same shape as the metric pin, or you will have problems. What happens is that a round pin will catch a cartridge when you insert a loaded mag, and shove it foreward. What I have done is punch out a metric pin and press it into the inch bolt hold open. This is the easiest fix.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#6]
so the metric pin will fit in the inch pattern BHO?  with a little room t spare?

how about using a little lock tite or such to help secure it or is that necessary?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
so the metric pin will fit in the inch pattern BHO?  with a little room t spare?

how about using a little lock tite or such to help secure it or is that necessary?

metric BHO should drop right in and work fine. I ordered a wide foot metric BHO from DSA. I have them on all my metric rifles. I will report back with results when it arrives. Thanks again guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top