Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2006 9:14:49 AM EDT
Hello All,

Here's what I'm looking at:  DSA FAL as NIB with 2-20rd mags.  Marked SA58 w/ long comp. 4 sets of 2 ports at the front of the comp.  Comp appears to be silver soldered on. (Manufactured pre-2004)  Metallic hand guards w/ integral light bipod & all black synthetic furniture.  Steel receiver. (Magnet sticks to the receiver).  It's my understanding the SA58 has an aluminum receiver, so with a steel reciever this is the STG58?

Is $850 a good deal, fair deal, great deal or bad deal?

Personally I hate 94 compliant weapons, and would prefer a flash suppressor as I can't stand the added noise of a comp. If $850 is a good deal, figured I can try it out and either change out the comp or sell/trade towards a 100% evil FAL.  (Keeping in mind not a lot of DSA goodies come through my neck of the woods)  Is it a bad idea to try to have the muzzle brake removed and replaced w/ a flash suppressor taking into account the comp being silver soldered on?  Anyone had this done to a permanently attached comp?  (Any alterations would be 89 ban compliant)  I figured my ideal FAL would run $1,100 to $1,200 w/ a flash suppressor etc. But this FAL @ $850, might be able to change my interpretation of what exactly is an ideal FAL...

Thanks for any insight.

Sly
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats an STG-58 I think 850 used is alittle high. SA58's had in intergrated brake, machined as part of the barrel.I've seen film tests that in low light it worked as weell as a flash suppresor.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
On the SA58 the reciever is steel it is the lower/TG housing that has an optional aluminum reciever.  What you dscribe is a STG58 with the muzzle brake.  I took mine of after the ban ended.  I went to Home Depot and bought a MAPP gas torch and heated the area that was silver soldered.  When it got hot enough the brake thread right off (left hand threads) and when it cooled I put a real flash suppressor on.  It was pretty easy even for me.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]
That price isn't too bad for an Stg-58. You might be waiting a while to find another used one in your area for less. Prices on the new ones have gone up recently too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.  

It's as new.  Even has the red tag threaded through the action with "Sealed #######".  I'm not sure what all that means but I'm pretty sure judging by the action- it's new , having never been fired since assembly by the factory.  

From what I can tell, it's a pretty fair deal considering that Atlantic Arms appears to have the same thing for $899.  Figure in shipping and transfer costs, that's enough under retail to remove the muzzle comp and add a flash suppressor and still be "in like a dirty shirt".  

Now, as I've picked it up, what I need to research is where to pick up a flash supppressor and also, a question for mlm1219 and others:  Is there any negative effects to the barrel by heating the brake up to 1200 degrees.? (I assume it's 1200 degree silver solder to meet ATF standards)  By that I mean, it's probably an American made brake and so replacement would need to include an even swap. 1 American part for another and also, is there detrimental factors in heating the barrel/brake high enough to remove the solder?

Keep the info coming, as the more I handle this rig- the more I like it.

Last thought, I'll need to hit the range and put some rounds through the FAL to ensure I'm not going overboard.  As it is, it's a real nice set-up I just CAN NOT STAND the additional noise created by a brake.  If it seems to behave off the bi-pod with the current brake, that may be OK.  But I refuse to suffer the adverse affects of a brake.  (In other words, if I feel the snot being knocked out of my nasal passages by the concussion caused- it'll have to go!!!!ELEVEN!!!!ONE!!!ETC. ETC!!!!)

Thanks again,

Sly
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:22:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I spoke to a couple of different FAL smiths about the heat on the barrel and they said as long as you heat it up just long enough to melt the SS it will not hurt the barrel.  These things already get to extremely hot tempartures.  Remember they were desighned to fire full auto.  Contact Mark @ ARS for a very nice US made Stolle FS.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:21:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The brake isn't too bad on the DSA.
Don't fire for accuracy with the bipod, it will shift point of impact horribly. Barrel flex and all, you know. You will probably end up removing the bipod just to get rid of the weight. It is great for pics though.
Sounds like if you don't get it you will regret it later.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#7]
The DSA FAL comp is no where near as loud as a brake.   I've got an AR10 carbine with Armalite two-port brake and that one does indeed smack you with a concussive blast, blows things off  the shooting bench, annoys the adjacent shooters, etc....

You do use hearing protection don't you?

My FAL, from the shooters point of view, is no louder than a straight barrel .308.   I'd try it first before you get out the blowtorch.  I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.   The comp tames muzzle rise, not recoil,  so the exhaust gasses go up,  instead of to the sides and back

When I shoot at a range,  I wear both foam plugs and Peltor electronic muffs.   Covered benches are like echo chambers.  

And when I hunt,  I wear just Peltors.  Crank up the volume and I have hearing like Spiderman, but the circuitry clamps down when I fire.  Best of both worlds.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#8]

By dablues:  My FAL, from the shooters point of view, is no louder than a straight barrel .308. I'd try it first before you get out the blowtorch. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. The comp tames muzzle rise, not recoil, so the exhaust gasses go up, instead of to the sides and back

I'm thinking my brake is different than the one you describe. Here's the brake as shown on DSA's website www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=US002CP&storeid=1&image=mbastg58.gif Mine is the long STG58 Austrian Fake.  It has ports on four sides which direct the blast L,R, Up and down.  But they do seem much less pronounced compared to the AR10 of which you refer to.  I had two AR10s and let each of em go as they were just too loud.

I'll definately try the FAL out as it is and see if it's OK.  But if not, my plan is to swap the brake out for a suppressor.

And of course, I always wear hearing protection.  It's just that in a time of need, I won't be able to get em on unless there's a lull in the action.  

Sly

Soon to be ETA for link to DSA.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I think thats about right for a DSA
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:32:04 AM EDT
[#10]

I'm thinking my brake is different than the one you describe.

Yes, it is. I see that now.  Mine is machined as part of the actual barrel.   Comparing apples and oranges.  sorry.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I think it is a good price considering;
a new DSA receiver goes for 400+ (unless your really good friends with your FFL in which case you can get one for about 350)
An StG-58 kit goes for  350+
Compliance parts are going to run you another 100 at least.
If the finish is clean and it has all the compliance parts it's a fair deal.  Another 200 to have the comp taken off, refinished and a Stoll equivalent put on... and your right around 900 at best.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The DSA FAL comp is no where near as loud as a brake.   I've got an AR10 carbine with Armalite two-port brake and that one does indeed smack you with a concussive blast, blows things off  the shooting bench, annoys the adjacent shooters, etc....

You do use hearing protection don't you?

My FAL, from the shooters point of view, is no louder than a straight barrel .308.   I'd try it first before you get out the blowtorch.  I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.   The comp tames muzzle rise, not recoil,  so the exhaust gasses go up,  instead of to the sides and back

When I shoot at a range,  I wear both foam plugs and Peltor electronic muffs.   Covered benches are like echo chambers.  

And when I hunt,  I wear just Peltors.  Crank up the volume and I have hearing like Spiderman, but the circuitry clamps down when I fire.  Best of both worlds.

Assuming I have the same comp as you on my 16" DSA. It makes things somewhat louder, for sure, but it isn't terrible. It seems to hide the flash decently at least, and really controls muzzle climb. With such a short barrel I think it really is an asset. Just my $.02.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#13]
$850 is reasonable for a STG58 NIB, I'd pay it, but only if that price included shipping.

In regards to Mark @ ARS, I sent him a couple emails and he gave me the loop, refusing to offer a price quote, he won't be getting my business.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#14]

$850 is about right.  But consider:

When will the next one come along?

What will prices do during that time?

If you find one on the net, how much for shipping and how much to transfer?

FTF or is sales tax involved?

Passing on a $850 FAL while waiting on one that costs $700 + shipping + transfer fees....

What is  it worth to you?

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
$850 is reasonable for a STG58 NIB, I'd pay it, but only if that price included shipping.

In regards to Mark @ ARS, I sent him a couple emails and he gave me the loop, refusing to offer a price quote, he won't be getting my business.

In Mark's defense, he is going through a rough spot in his life and he is not doing any work till it all clears up. He is one of the best builders I have known and he is a great guy to do business with.
Phessor
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Mark's defense, he is going through a rough spot in his life and he is not doing any work till it all clears up. He is one of the best builders I have known and he is a great guy to do business with.
Phessor hr

Thanks for letting me know that, mabye I'll offer him my business at a later time.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Deal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top