Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2003 1:56:37 PM EDT
After deciding to make the inexpensive detachable light mount for my AR as outlined on Maryland AR15 SHooter's Site, I became inspired to try something similar for my Winchester 1300.  Surefire dedicated mounts are way too expensive for a home defense shotgun, and most mounts for sale are over $20, and aren't easily detachable (at least not ones I've found seen).  

Materials on hand:

* 1 Weaver 1" Quik-Detach scope ring (high
 Cost = $15-20 for 2 rings (I had a coupon so they only cost me $5)
* 1 Surefire G2
 Cost = about $30
* 1 Weaver #54 top mount base
 Cost = $2.50-4.00

Materials Purchased:

* 2 "6-32" machine screws (as short as possible)
* 2 flat washers
* 2 lock washers
* 2 hex nuts
* 2 hose clamps to fit 9/16"-1 1/16" diameter  (only 1 is needed)

Total Hardware Cost = $1.94 plus tax

Step 0 - UNLOAD THE GUN!!!

Step 1 - Mount the scope ring to the magazine tube so you can work the light with the thumb of the hand holding the the forend.  Being left handed, I mounted it so the light is at about the 2:00 position when sighting.  The Quik Detach knob is at about 5:00.

Step 2- Notch the clamp for mounting the base to the clamp.   I oriented the hose clamp screw away from the Quik Detach screw, so I made 2 notches, 1 on each side of the band width (so the band necks down to an hourglass shape) roughly 180 degrees opposite of the clamp screw.  I used a Dremel to grind the notches.

Step 3 - Mount the Base to the clamp I mounted the base by aligning the holes in the base with the notches on the band, inserting the 2 machine screws, and installing the flat washers, lock washers, and hex nuts.  (Base is on the outside of the clamp, washers/nuts are on the inside.)  Tighten!  Use a Dremel & cut-off wheel to cut the screws flush to the hex nuts.  Paint the assembly black at this time, if you want to.

Step 4 - Mount Flashlight in Hose Clamp  This was tricky, as there wasn't much room to open the clamp, and have the nuts clear the light body.  I had to remove the tailcap and really work at it.  You might want to try either (a) using a larger clamp, but you may have to cut off the excess when tight; and/or (b) run the machine screws from inside the clamp through the base, and fit the washers/nuts "inside" the base...You'll get more clearance to the light body, but less clearance for tightening the nuts.

Step 5 - Mount Light to Shotgun Align the base on the ring, and tighten the Quik Detach screw.

DONE!  Loc-Tite is always a good idea, but everything seems pretty solid.  Total cost, if you had none of the above materials is about $50 inlcuding the light.   Will this light stand up to alot of firing?  Probably not...I'd recommend getting the Shockproof bezel (about $15) and taking the light off the shotgun when practicing...Hence the necessity of the quick detach set-up!

Hope this works for you, or inspires you to try something else...YMMV...I'm not responsible for your screw-ups, blah blah, etc....

--Otter
PS My pics are only posting as half the image for some reason...sorry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top