Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2015 5:25:44 PM EST
Would cutting a SF flash hider down apprx. 1/2" create any issues when mounting a suppressor to it? I looking to have a barrel cut and turned down to 14.5" and pin a SF flash hider on it, and figured I'd have the flash hider shortened as well for an OAL of 16.1" if this would cause no ill effects? Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:31:00 PM EST
if you're already cutting the barrel down to 14.5, why not go to 14.0 if a half inch is what you need to get to 16.1?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:35:47 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RyJones:
if you're already cutting the barrel down to 14.5, why not go to 14.0 if a half inch is what you need to get to 16.1?
View Quote

This

do the math and triple check it and make it end up at 16.1"
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:04:51 PM EST
View Quote

Hmm, you got me there lol.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:05:38 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2015 7:06:00 PM EST by ikickhippies]
Originally Posted By Squawk1200:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You want to pay attention to the "length added" and not the OAL of the mount. That thing has threads inside it.

As others have said. Triple check. Honestly you won't see a single bit difference either way.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:29:20 PM EST
I've wondered. On longer guns in particular you don't need tines that long.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:22:04 PM EST

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I kinda like it. Keep the barrel 14.5" so you have more velocity and barrel length (I agree basically negligible though haha) and then cut down the flash hider (allowing more volume inside the can).

Honestly you should just cut the barrel to 14" and leave the FH alone, but... I bet it would be fine either way. I've never tried it but surefire has a pretty solid mount that doesn't have anything to do with the prongs. If you cut it down it should still be fine. Again I've never tried it but I don't see why it would matter.
Take for example griffin armament who have mounts off all different lengths for the same can. As long as the mount is good it shouldn't matter. Imo.
If I weren't traveling I would totally do this just do try it for you, but I won't be back for another month.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:43:04 PM EST
Surefire trifecta? Yes please. My fh mounts ring like a doorbell.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:03:06 PM EST
Yeah I guess that was my primary reason for wanting to cut the flash hider as opposed to the barrel. I figured if I could shorten the tines without any other issues then why not, as I always thought the SF hiders looked just a tad too long. I didn't think those had anything to do with the way the suppressors mounted but just wanted to make sure.

At 2.67" I figured at most .625" for the threads, so roughly 1/2" off or just a tad under would keep things legal.

I'll post results if I decide to do it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:02:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/4/2015 12:02:40 PM EST by Active]
Yeah I guess that was my primary reason for wanting to cut the flash hider as opposed to the barrel. I figured if I could shorten the tines without any other issues then why not, as I always thought the SF hiders looked just a tad too long. I didn't think those had anything to do with the way the suppressors mounted but just wanted to make sure.

At 2.67" I figured at most .625" for the threads, so roughly 1/2" off or just a tad under would keep things legal.

I'll post results if I decide to do it.
View Quote

I really don't think it would be an issue. I don't have the proper equipment to cut one, but if you want I will mail you a FH for you to cut and mail back to me, then ill test it out. Let you know if theres any issues?? I like the idea of a SF or AAC trifecta.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 1:00:16 PM EST
Originally Posted By DonKey153:
Surefire trifecta? Yes please. My fh mounts ring like a doorbell.
View Quote

You're doing it wrong. You can eliminate the ring with one of many methods. I like the one where you drill a hole in one of the tines. You can also shorten two of the tines by different amounts. The key is that you want asymmetrical lengths and/or masses to prevent harmonics.
Top Top