Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 9:20:33 AM EDT
Simply put, can it be done? Pros and Cons?
I've got a full length MN, and wouldn't mind making an M38 outta it. The bore is good, but the first 1.5'' is counterbored. So, why not cut it down, crown it, and cut/refinish the wood?

What say you? It should be know that this is a run of the mill MN, no an ex-sniper, hex receiver, Finn... etc etc.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think I would do it, but that's just because I could buy a good condition one for $80.

Yes, it can be done.  
Make sure it has a proper crown on the cut or it'll never shoot right.  But you know that already.
Iron sights might be a bit of a challenge; don't weld - just use silver solder on the front sight.
You might consider getting a new stock for it so you don't hack up the original, but your call there.

If you're going to cut/modify it anyhow, might as well tap it for a scope mount while you're at it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't think I would do it, but that's just because I could buy a good condition one for $80.

Yes, it can be done.  
Make sure it has a proper crown on the cut or it'll never shoot right.  But you know that already.
Iron sights might be a bit of a challenge; don't weld - just use silver solder on the front sight.
You might consider getting a new stock for it so you don't hack up the original, but your call there.

If you're going to cut/modify it anyhow, might as well tap it for a scope mount while you're at it.

Where can you get an M38 for 80 bucks?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not look for a M91/59 instead?

The work's already done for you, they have a good reputation, and they can still be had for ~$150, if one looks around.

FWIW, I saw an M44 at a small local show earlier this year for $75. Should have bought it, but was trying to convince a bussy of mine it was a god deal instead.

The deals are out there, but you might have to look to find them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it can be done.  

Where can you get an M38 for 80 bucks?

No idea.  If you find out, let me know!   I'm just saying that my position is different because I don't already have a rifle that has the end of the barrel messed up.  I wouldn't buy a counterbored 91/30 with the intention of putting extra work into it.  I'd rather buy a good condition 91/30 and shoot it as-is.  

But if you already have the rifle and it's already messed up, then maybe it's worth it.

Alternatively, I'd be tempted to part out the stock for $30-40, sell the barreled action for $20-30, keep the bolt, buy one of the no-bolt M38 or M44s out there and use the bolt from the counterbored rifle in the otherwise good rifle.

Yeah, it wouldn't be matching, but the rifle's already a loss to a collector anyhow, so no worries.  You get a good carbine out of it for relatively little effort and probably less money than it would cost for a cut & crown.  Someone else gets a good project for really cheap.  Win-win?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm you DO make sense!

I don't know, I'll have to think about it some more. MN's are so numerous, maybe I should just get another. Ideally I'd like a Finn M39... But oh well.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Why is the counterbored barrel "messed up"?  Does it not shoot as accurately as one of your's without a c/b barrel? Many will argue that a counterbored barrel breaths new life into the gun, over the worn out crown it may have had. Personally, I think it depends on the individual rifle and that's why I asked.

MN's are so numerous, maybe I should just get another.

I think that's the best option. Cutting one down is no guarantee of anything and could even make things worse, from a performance standpoint. If you want a carbine, go out and buy one. There are plenty around.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
just look around and buy an M38. There are some on gunbroker right now going for less than $200. I was looking at some last night
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#8]
There's a nice Hungarian M44 on the EE right now for $145 shipped. That's a good price in today's market, especially for a Hungarian.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#9]
The Ruskies did it and called it a M91/59.  Why not.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Since they already did it, I think the question is "Why?".
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since they already did it, I think the question is "Why?".

I'm concerned in actually ruining the rifle. The cut and crown isn't hard at all, but how exactly am I supposed to cut the stock down properly? Its got the metal pieces on the ends of the stock, near the muzzle. I don't know how I could reattach them once the stock is cut. Ideas on that? I'll be sure to post a full photo tutorial on how its done.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I sent you an email about an "oh shit" stock if interested.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top