Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 2:10:08 PM EDT
Can a chrome lined barrel be effectively re-crowned after it is cut?    I’m sure that it
would be a gunsmith operation, not something I would do myself.  

NFA barrel length restrictions are not an issue here so don’t bother reminding me.

Ben, The_Emu
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I had one done for a FAL by Derek at AzexArms. He did a great job.

Ok, so it looks like its doable.  Im thinking about buying a pawnshop Polytech M-14.  The crown is messed up and i want about a 20 in barrel anyway.

How much did it cost?

Ben
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:14:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone else have any experience here?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#4]
i cut and recrowned a FAL chromed barrel myself and it turned out fine.  For cutting I used an abrasive wheel in a circular saw.  I then dressed it on a belt sander.  Then i used a muzzle facing cutter from brownells just to ensure that it was even (it wasn't) and finally finished it off with a marble and valve grinding compound.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Anywhere from $25 to $200 depending on who does it. Since it is a barreled action it will be more expensive. There are a few smiths on the FAL boards that do nice work cheaply. Shoot one an email and see what they say.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top