Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 10:16:31 PM EDT
Ya I know, its a cheap gun. But I like to be unique and different, and I'd like to have a pump gun. So here's my idea. What if I took a Remington 870 w/ 18" barrel, and put a vent rib barrel on it which was cut down to 18" ? Where would I go to get this done? Since the vent-ribbed barrel would have a larger sized hole at the end of the barrel, what would it do to the shot? I assume this is safe with normal shells and slugs, correct?

I photoshopped it; it looks pretty neat!
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:47:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:19:33 AM EDT
[#2]
He wants a vent rib on the gun like this You could find a used barrel have it cut by a smith and retapped for a bead, this is what I did with A-5. Barrels are cheap for 870.check out here Call the guy and tell him you want a old barrel to modify he found a bent barrel for me the bend was in the area that was cut off on my barrel. the web sight does not show all the stuff he has.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#4]
We'd like to cut down a vent rib barrel we have on an 11-87, but we're afraid of screwing up the gas system.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#5]
For a "duty" shotgun, I'd be concerned with the rib getting damaged, thus screwing uo the bead sight.

Otherwise, cut down a barrel that already has a VR, at a support post as noted above, then have the barrel cut for choke tubes.  Waste of $$ IMO.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell I don't care if it has a choke in it :D
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#7]
At one point Remington offered a 18.5" barrel with the vent rib. I'm not sure if they still do but my local distributor used to have a bunch.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll look into that, thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
We'd like to cut down a vent rib barrel we have on an 11-87, but we're afraid of screwing up the gas system.

You can buy a 21" VR barrel with choke tubes for it.  Is that short enough for you?

Jason - I have an 1100 Special Field that was part of a special run made with monte carlo stocks instead of english stocks.  If I could only own 1 barrel it would be a 21" VR.  For years I have thought about a barrel like this for one of my defensive 870's.  I would add that having a few extra inches will make the barrel more effecitve overall than the 18".

I loaned that 1100 to a friend today, at the end of the day first question he asked, how long is that barrel?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I'd like to be 18"

I was thinking if it was easy and cheap I'd do it, its not a BIG deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top