Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2007 10:46:54 AM EDT
I'm getting ready to paint on the mag well on my AR.  I will be using a "high quality" rattle can. I want see if I like it before I do anything permanent. My question is when I put it in the oven to cure can I just remove the grip and leave the rest of the LPK installed or do I need to strip it?  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#1]
you shouldn't have to oven cure "rattle can" paint.  Just clean (degrease) it and spray it on.  Read the directions on the side of the can.

If by mag well you mean the entire lower of an AR, removing parts such as the grip and stock is a little bit more tricky than just unscrewing the screws. There are springs,  detents, and catches that are held in place by the grip and stock.  I suggest you browse your manual and become familiar with all the parts and pits in the gun before you start removing stuff.  It is not difficult at all, but ignorance will get you in trouble.

If you are only spray painting for looks, I would recommend just masking off the areas you don't want painted instead of a complete disassembly.

Make sure to post pictures of your work too.  We all like to see...
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]

The only "curing" of rattle can product is done in my truck on a hot sunny day...usually on the dash.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I built the lower so I do know what is invovled,felt as though I got lucky with it being so easy...didn't want to tempt fate if I didn't have to.

I'm painting a "logo" on the mag well that is somewhat intricate...figured an oven cure on almost any enamel is going to help durability.

I'll post pics when done
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#4]
"baking" paint that is designed to be self curing will not benefit from it.  A few minutes in the tropical sun does a nice job.  But if it makes you feel better about it, go for it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#5]
OK,let's say I was gonna use DuraBake or something like that could I do it with the LPK installed or not?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top