Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 2:49:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Where are the counterweight that fit in the nightcap's back pocket?

I love the nightcap, usually just throw batteries back there for some weight. Cannot mount a light on the side, but get the Petzl STRIX-IR clipped to a backpack strap, for foot navigation in rocky or steep areas
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 4:46:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are the counterweight that fit in the nightcap's back pocket?

I love the nightcap, usually just throw batteries back there for some weight. Cannot mount a light on the side, but get the Petzl STRIX-IR clipped to a backpack strap, for foot navigation in rocky or steep areas
View Quote
For a counter weight I use fishing weights in a small thick ziplock bag. As for a light I use either a Streamlight Sidewinder II with the headlamp strap around my neck or a Princeton Tech light inside of the cable pocket

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:09:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess pics of a a PVS-7 is all it takes to kill the conversation.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I like my nightcap, but has anyone else noticed that the straps are awfully short?  I don't have a big head, and I had to max out the adjustment on my straps to get them to buckle under my chin.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like my nightcap, but has anyone else noticed that the straps are awfully short?  I don't have a big head, and I had to max out the adjustment on my straps to get them to buckle under my chin.
View Quote
Nah mang. I'm able to cinch mine down about halfway. It's a large. Pretty big dome, too. Consistency with sizing and symmetry seems to be an issue every so often with these.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep, same here. It just barely fits.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I would not pay attention to the people saying it is too small.  I wear an XL helmet, 24" head circumference, 7 5/8 hat size. I had to take it in just a tad all over. The limit is about a 7 3/4 hat size.  I have found most people who complain about chin strap length are not allowing the chin strap to sit propperly lop sided, which it must do to fit one size fits all or they dont open up the top. If you wear a size 8 hat or have 25" head circumference I'd be concerned because it likely wont fit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 7:26:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would not pay attention to the people saying it is too small.  I wear an XL helmet, 24" head circumference, 7 5/8 hat size. I had to take it in just a tad all over. The limit is about a 7 3/4 hat size.  I have found most people who complain about chin strap length are not allowing the chin strap to sit propperly lop sided, which it must do to fit one size fits all or they dont open up the top. If you wear a size 8 hat or have 25" head circumference I'd be concerned because it likely wont fit.
View Quote
I'd venture to guess that there is a lot of inconsistency in the manufacture of these things.  My head is about the size of yours, but the straps on mine are so short, that I can't use it.  I can just barely buckle it with every strap on it let all the way out.

Others seem to have no problems, so, it seems hit or miss.

I bought mine from Crye earlier this year btw, so maybe they've changed over time?
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#9]
To answer OP's original question:

It really comes down to what you need it to do.

Helmets, or even the Ops Core Skull, are the platforms for mounting NVG's. Period. If you want to mount an NVG comfortably, you need it on a bucket.

That said, the Crye Night Cap serves a very, very specific purpose: The ability to always have your NOD on you. Helmets are large and take up space. The Nightcap? Not so much. If you are in a situation where space is at an absolute premium but need the ability to deploy a NOD then the Night Cap fills that role. If you ever have seen those videos of guys who have SBR's tucked away inside a small back pack and can whip it out if needed? It's basically the night vision equivalent of that.

We had to do a number of mods to make ours comfortable for use for long periods of time but once again thats not really the point of the system.

It also makes a great loaner platform if you have something like MOD-3's that can be split up and need something a buddy can use.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
To answer OP's original question:

It really comes down to what you need it to do.

Helmets, or even the Ops Core Skull, are the platforms for mounting NVG's. Period. If you want to mount an NVG comfortably, you need it on a bucket.

That said, the Crye Night Cap serves a very, very specific purpose: The ability to always have your NOD on you. Helmets are large and take up space. The Nightcap? Not so much. If you are in a situation where space is at an absolute premium but need the ability to deploy a NOD then the Night Cap fills that role. If you ever have seen those videos of guys who have SBR's tucked away inside a small back pack and can whip it out if needed? It's basically the night vision equivalent of that.

We had to do a number of mods to make ours comfortable for use for long periods of time but once again thats not really the point of the system.

It also makes a great loaner platform if you have something like MOD-3's that can be split up and need something a buddy can use.
View Quote
Meh, YMMV.

I use the Nightcap all night, all the time, and I have no problems.  My Ops Core Bump has so much dust on it, I really shouldn't call it MultiCam anymore.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the concept is sound, but the execution was...sketchy.  I ended up practically re-building the whole thing.  Including the whole suspension system, which just didn't seem to fit right.  Not just adjustment but the geometry of the design.  So after you tighten up the fit, and get a suspension that works with you, I think it works really well.  So if you have capability, or access to capability to modify it, it will work well for you.  In my case this is not a problem; for others it may be.

So custom-fitting a skull cap to all the various head sizes/shapes out there seems to be more difficult than a hard shell helmet.  At least I don't see guys posting up about helmets not fitting the way you see Night Caps being commented on.  One of the key differences is the Night Cap has an even base around the circumference, versus the extended rear shell on a helmet.  So the rear strap geometry is different, wrapping around the nape of your neck.  And I think this is what causes some guys trouble.  In my case I totally changed both the intersect point and the angle of the front and back straps, as they come together and form the chin bucket.  I also have a long, oval-shaped head, so granted that is a factor.  But point being it may be more difficult to fit a skull cap than a helmet.

There are others who seem to have improved upon the design, but you pay for that as well.  Now you're not really saving anything, versus a bump helmet.  The choice is now for your specific application, like low-profile, light weight, etc.

So yeah, I really like mine, but it did require extensive modification, and it's probably not for everybody, just to save a few bucks.  But if you have a need, and can do some mods, it's GTG.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I got one of the first runs of these things back in the day and I used it with 15s for an extended training exercise.   It was way better than the ballistic ops core that I would have had to wear in its absence.    Fast foreword to this evening, I finally purchased a PVS-14 and a Rhino 2, and this thing is the kitties titties for a 14.   It is super light and does everything I need it to.   Now I just need to find a way to put a small IR flashlight on it, and I’m good to go
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got one of the first runs of these things back in the day and I used it with 15s for an extended training exercise.   It was way better than the ballistic ops core that I would have had to wear in its absence.    Fast foreword to this evening, I finally purchased a PVS-14 and a Rhino 2, and this thing is the kitties titties for a 14.   It is super light and does everything I need it to.   Now I just need to find a way to put a small IR flashlight on it, and I’m good to go
View Quote
I have a Princeton Tec IR light on the right side of my nightcap where the cable run pocket. A SureFire V1 "IR and white light" also works well in the same location.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes because those of us with problems are just making it up. Ignore us, the product is perfect.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have a Princeton Tec IR light on the right side of my nightcap where the cable run pocket. A SureFire V1 "IR and white light" also works well in the same location.
https://i.imgur.com/SuvMgxI.jpg
View Quote
Thats a neat light, but looks like its only 10 lumens? Does that help much with walking around and such?
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thats a neat light, but looks like its only 10 lumens? Does that help much with walking around and such?
View Quote
I think you'd be better off just using your on board built in IR instead. The one pictured is more of a low signature task light. Although Princeton Tec dose does have higher dual color output clip lights with IR, blue, green, red, white etc. If you're looking for something for hiking look at a Surefire V1 that has both IR and white built into 1 unit. The can be found on Ebay for 149.00 brand new.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes because those of us with problems are just making it up. Ignore us, the product is perfect.
View Quote
I think it's just like most specialty head gear - it varies from person to person (and likely even lot to lot, as is the case with the reports of too short straps).  We all have different shaped heads and are mounting different gear for different needs.

I'd think that if someone got some out of spec straps, Crye and/or the retailer would probably swap it out.

I had a 700 helmet that I just could NOT make fit right for the life of me, gave it to a buddy and he swears by it.  By the same token, I'd cut any mf that tried to take my nightcap from me - I'm more protective of it than my high dollar ballistic helmets or bump helmets, I just spend a WHOLE LOT MORE TIME under the nightcap and it's far more comfortable TO ME....

The only time I DON'T wear the nightcap is when I'm bridged and need external power, I just slip on the bump and go with it.  But even then, I miss the nightcap.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#18]
i love the nitecap. but my chin strap is annoyingly off. whats can i do with it ?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
i love the nitecap. but my chin strap is annoyingly off. whats can i do with it ?
View Quote
Yeah, mine too and I don't love my nightcap. Great idea, piss poor execution.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Adjust the back, lateral, vertical, then top in that order works best foe me to get it as even as possible.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#21]
i did all that adjusting. i even called them and TNVC. they all said pound salt.
it looks like there isnt enough material to adjust one side more. kinda burns me. as of now i just live with it
as it crushes my chin.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 3:08:21 AM EDT
[#22]
The chinstrap is supposed to sit asymmetric. It wont work if you try to make it sit like a helmet chinstrap. Like I said, most people who complain about it being too short of a chin strap refuse to let it sit asymmetric and it WILL be too short if you don't. I feel it is way harder to set "just right" vs a helmet due to that asymmetry. I also found it hurts my head to wear for long if the top velcro is secured by taking up the sides first and the front to back velcro on top vs the front to back first and sides over the top. You gave to get the top volume and size perfect before you do the chinstrap. It is not forgiving if you don't the way a helmet can be.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 3:51:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Nightcap is good to use a PVS14 for hiking at night
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 3:54:45 AM EDT
[#24]
i dont know why it would have to fit crooked. the rest of it functions great. no other complaints.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 3:57:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, I think that pic perfectly illustrates my point; the strap geometry is different because the cap does not extend down in back, which creates an awkward angle for the rear strap, trying to attach to the front one and create a chin bucket.  If you just imitate the geometry from a hard shell, this is what you get.

Also noticing that the cap is slightly off-level, as you are trying to compensate for this fact (and make more room for your ears).  And the -14 mounting system is adjusted so it is also off-level, which may be necessary to balance on head in this case.

The solution for me was to modify it so the cap fit very snugly, first of all.  This can be difficult because of all the various head shapes.  Having S/M and M/L sizes would have helped here.  Then there is strap length.  Remember those old helmet instruction guides?  They had a picture of "Bert and Ernie" to illustrate a short fat head and a smaller long one.  This points out head size and strap length are not necessarily always the same.  So you really need a suspension with open running ends, for greater range of adjustment, rather than a closed system with limited range of adjustment.  Having a bunch of extra strap would help a lot of guys here.  You simply cut/tape the extra webbing after fitting.

But ultimately, you need a nape extension around back, just like a hardshell, so the suspension would pull not only straight down, but also lever from the back of your noggin.  This would give you a nice "L" shape and the angle necessary to clear your ear and connect to the chin cup.  And also help to balance the NVD much better.  As an added bonus, the C/W now sits below the NVD and provides better balance.

I wonder if you could run a bungee (with a break-way feature) to your PC/Ranger straps to transfer the weight down in to your torso instead of levering on your neck.  Kinda like those bino harnesses.  Essentially using your torso as a C/W.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
http://i63.tinypic.com/9tj2mu.jpg

Nightcap is good to use a PVS14 for hiking at night
View Quote
I have that same Buck knife in my kitchen.  Great old workhorse.

Guys, the Night Cap is a $100 solution.  If it doesn't work for you, just move on.  Personally, mine works great.  It gets hot as shit in Texas.  My helmet stays in storage 9–10 months out of the year.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have that same Buck knife in my kitchen.  Great old workhorse.

Guys, the Night Cap is a $100 solution.  If it doesn't work for you, just move on.  Personally, mine works great.  It gets hot as shit in Texas.  My helmet stays in storage 9–10 months out of the year.
View Quote
Same here, I use mine alot even with the bridged setup in the warmer months.  I feel basically like I'm wearing a ballcap in the heat.  I still use the helmet (which I've probably got 5-6x as much $$$ invested in) in the cooler months or when I'm loaning a second set of NV out to a hunting partner on the nightcap, but I actually enjoy the cap.  It's not for everyone.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I've been more than happy with my nightcap. That said, a bump helmet will always be more stable and generally more comfortable...for three times the price.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 1:08:54 AM EDT
[#30]
im not mockin it, just trying to make it work better. its awesome to pack in 3day pack. then have a helmet hanging off me
all day.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 2:03:13 AM EDT
[#31]
At first my chin strap was always crooked and I could never get it to fit right, but once I actually read Crye's instruction manual step by step everything lined up perfectly.
https://www.cryeprecision.com/Resources/en/Manuals/CryePrecision-ACCHN1-NightCap-Manual(Web).pdf
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top