Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2009 4:22:20 PM EDT
After much agonizing and hours of research over which hard use, SHTF "do it all" knife to purchase, I went with the CF Oberland 01.
I plan on carrying this daily, along with my Graham Razel (so I can open envelopes/cut twine/dig out slivers without frightening the ladies and children with the CF's  5.5 inch blade).  Any suggestions for concealed carry would be awesome...

Should be here next week...pics to follow!

ETA Pictures:

This knife is unbelievable! I have no idea how one would go about damaging it, but I suspect it would involve explosives. WOW!!!
Love it already!

Shown with:
G21SF, HTG Cycle II Suppressor
Graham Bros. Pocket Utility Razel
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I hadn't heard of Crusader Forge before, but wow - nice looking blades.  Seem like they would get the job done....  Their MINIMI 2009 is definitely my speed.

Not an expert on concealed carry knives, but a 5.5" blade implies to me that you'll need to carry it IWB for real concealment.  I weak side appendix carry a small fixed blade (RC3) attached to my belt with a TekLok, canted to an almost horizontal angle.  If I'm going off to the woods with a bigger blade (but before I get there...) I'll carry it attached to my belt and let my cover garment handle the concealment 100%.  Personally not a fan of small-of-the-back knife sheaths; feels like I might fumble for it while in an adrenalized state if needed for defense.  

If I wanted to EDC a longer blade, I would try carrying it weak side IWB, canted with the pommel toward my navel, probably with a J-hook or something similar keeping the sheath connected to my belt during the drawstroke.  Accessible, but not particularly concealed.  Alternately, you could just TekLok it to your belt and commit to wearing a cover garment.  Just two cents....  Congrats on purchasing a very nice knife....
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
this thread is worthless without pics
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 5:01:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I like Crusader Forge.  Nice score.

I would suggest a kydex IWB sheath for concealed carry.  I don't know of any specific sheath makers that have Crusader Forge blades available to them, though, so you might have to send your knife to have the sheath made. But there are a lot of makers, and several different styles.

I usually carry Busse knives myself, and have dealt primarily with sheath makers who have Busse knives on hand to make sheaths.  But again, if you send them your knife, they'll be able to make you a good sheath.

Take a look a Mashed Cat, and Rainwalker Creations.  Those are the two makers I usually go with.

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 8:05:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice, guys! I was looking at Mashed Cat and liked what I saw. Also, does anybody have experience with the "MercHarness" rig? For ten bucks, I'll probably give one a try.

Worthless thread should be improved with pics in a few days!
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thanks for the advice, guys! I was looking at Mashed Cat and liked what I saw. Also, does anybody have experience with the "MercHarness" rig? For ten bucks, I'll probably give one a try.

Worthless thread should be improved with pics in a few days!

I'll loan you a pic of mine in the meantime.......Nice score you won't be disappointed in your purchase.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#6]
What a handsome family, Charlie!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Pics added!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]

NICE!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:56:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I hadn't heard of Crusader Forge before....

I believe that is who Trident Blades morphed into IIRC.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hadn't heard of Crusader Forge before....

I believe that is who Trident Blades morphed into IIRC.

Yessir! I suspect Maciej changed the name because of trademark issues (seems like all the deep-pocketed corporate knife shills use the name "Trident" for something), but that's just conjecture on my part. He still handcrafts all of the knives himself and the certificate of authenticity bears both Crusader Forge and Trident logos.

Did I mention I love this knife? Whoooo!  Bring on the Apocalypse!

ETA: Nice avatar, Sleeve!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#11]
You'll love it.  

If you're going to use it, I'd touch the edge up a hair.  It doesn't need much, but I like mine particularly sharp.

I've got several of Macej's blades now and all have been excellent.  His folders are incredible, but be prepared to pay (I picked mine up on the EE).

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You'll love it.  

If you're going to use it, I'd touch the edge up a hair.  It doesn't need much, but I like mine particularly sharp.

I've got several of Macej's blades now and all have been excellent.  His folders are incredible, but be prepared to pay (I picked mine up on the EE).

I'm going to spend some time honing it to an atom-splitting edge––and then use the living crap out of it. Those folders look absolutely amazing! Someday...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:08:47 AM EDT
[#13]
How is the handle?  It looks sort of blocky.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's amazingly comfortable, in any grip. It seems to be almost magically contoured to the human hand (mine, anyway). It does kinda look like a 1985 Crown Victoria, but somehow it just melts right into your grip. The kydex sheath is great too...well made and PLENTY of retention.

Just received my MercHarness too...seems like it's going to work really well for concealed carry! I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Interestingly enough, the slabs kind of melt in your hand.  Easy to use with the cutting edge up or down.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top