Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2006 8:49:16 PM EDT
I saw an article somewhere along the web about someone who did a down and dirty wash job with a solvent, IIRC, and then put the rifle stock into the dishwasher.  The photos were impressive, and he then proceeded to refinish the stock.

Has anyone here tried this?

Thanks,

Rick

PS Finishing my C and R forms tonight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:05:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I did it with an Enfield No4 Mk2 stock. I could never get a full length Mauser stock in my dishwasher. Worked fantastic. I mean it looked like a new stock after 5 or so cycles. I used plain old dishwasher soap. Did a quick wipe with acetone to get the surface cosmoline off then popped it in.

Be careful on the dry cycle. It gets a little to hot and might crack your stock.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:22:14 AM EDT
[#2]
the info above is basically what I have heard about the idea as well, though I have not tried it myself. Did you do a search? I've read several threads about this.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  No, I haven't done a specific search for that but I spent umpty eleven hours driving the net before I refinished my K31 stock and I'm planning my next misadventure.

Regards,

Rick
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Use gasoline to remove the oil, then heat up the stock with a heat gun, not open flame. This will draw out the old oil. It ends up beading up and running off the stock, you will also need a rag. if you have dents place a wet rag over the dent and use a clothes iron to pop out some dents. The moisture returns back into the wood cells and can lighten up some minor dents.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#5]
the dishwater method I think I would like to try. Another method is clean the bore and action thouraly and then go and shoot the rifle a whole lot and get it pretty hot. All kinds of cosmoline I didn't even see when I cleaned the gun came out of my 91/30 and that made for the most fun cosmoline removal project to date.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I used the dishwasher method on my SKS work great
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#7]
All ya'll using a dishwasher must be single. My wife would perform elective surgery on me if I tried that.

Don't use gasoline- it's too damn dangerous. Use naptha, mineral spirits, anything else.
A lot of people use oven cleaner and rinse in hot water. You could try just a heat gun first before getting more aggressive. Orange Blast from an auto parts store works very well also.

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top