Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2009 3:33:39 AM EDT
Folks,
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for this topic but I could not find anything more specific.  This is my first thread here.

I just bought a fully functional safe in good shape on Craig's List to be used as a gun safe. It is a real safe as opposed to being a 'gun cabinet', but it is simple bare metal on the interior.  I need some advise on how to turn it into a proper gun safe. It is ideal for my storage needs right now as it is approximately 48" x 40" x 20", double walled plate steel with a Sargent Greenleaf combo lock.  I am trying to figure out right now what type of lock it is to acquire the right change key to reset the combo (I assume it is a three wheel combo lock as that is standard but it could be a four wheel combo.  It is set right now and the lock functions and all.  It does have external hinges but for $290, and it being in great shape it was a bargain.

It will be in the house itself, rather than in a basement, attic, or garage, so climate control will not be that much of an issue but I will put a dehumidifier pack in it anyways.  It does not have a gasket around the door.

But my question revolves around what materials to use to line the walls and shelves.  Off the top of my head options would include getting like a couple of the thin, rubber (Approx 5mm) pilates mats and cut them down and apply them with spray adhesive.  ANother option might be to do the same thing with some sort of cloth or felt, or maybe even the self-sticking shelf paper.

Right now it has two full width and depth metal shelves.  They are fine as they are now as I have no long guns, but in the future I intend to custimize the shelves to make room for long guns. I was thinking about replacing the existing shelves with ones that are cut back either in a front corner or across the entire front to allow long guns vertically.

Right now the current configuration is pretty ideal as the top shelf has all my ammo, extra holsters and mags, etc.  The second shelf holds my gun boxes, including the empty ones for our two home defense guns, and the bottom is perfect for holding my wife and my own ranges bags, so we can keep them loaded up without having to remove the contents.

I am also considering different sort of racks that I can mount on the inside of the door.  I'd probably have to drill through the thing metal of the access plater that covers the entire interior of the door.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Wreckshooter
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Wreckshooter-

You will probably get more answers in the Safes & Secutriy forum.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=46

Best of luck,
cosmos556
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#2]
build your own shelves out of ply wood and line the wood with some carpet.  i bought gun safe with factory shelves, and this is pretty much how the shelves and lining are set up.  the shelves are held up by metal clips for height adjustment.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's my commercial TL30 safe fitted for long guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top