Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/2/2006 9:11:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 9:28:58 AM EDT by cobrasks]
First off,I've gone threw more .308s than you can imagine.

I just can't seem to get one that's made right.

I passed on an FAL a while back because I didn't like the
sights,and it wasn't as accurate as the other rifles.

After going through the other .308s ,I'm back at the FAL again.

I've heard from quite a few people that were happy with their DSAs.
I have a few questions about them.

Is there a noticable accuracy difference between the rifle and carbine DSAs ?
Is it worth the weight savings for the carbine ?(Most shooting 300 yards or less)
Is the carbine that much more maneuverable ?
What's the length difference between the carbine and standard rifle ?
If I buy the rifle and decide it,s to long,can I get it shortened easily ,
or is that in depth and expensive ?
Does DSA use all new barrels ,or do they reuse old ones from kits ?
What warranty does DSA have ?
Is DSA currently the best manufacturer in the US ?

Can I get a stable low rail mount for an Eotech for these ?
How much $$$$ are these mounts ?
Are there kits out to replace the original sights ?
Are there railed forearms available for vertical grips ?Where and $$$ ?

What's the practical barrel life ,or better put,how many rounds
until I'll have to rebuild it ?
Can a new barrel be put on at home ,or are there too many
special tools required ?

Is this a rifle I'll be happy with shooting ,or is it another pain in the
ass that I'll have to go back and forth with the manufacturer over ?

Thanks for any answers guys.
I've been googling and sorting for days.
I've read hundreds of posts and reviews.
It's hard to tell who's selling what and who's just
another shooter.

I would really appreciate any assistance .
Thanks.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:11:53 PM EDT
Go to the DSA website. Their SA58 is an all new rifle. Their STG58 is a parts kit gun, although I have an STG 58 carbine that has a new Badger barrel that they put on. In my experience, the carbine has the best accuracy. DSA's are the best for sure although there are many kit rifle's just as good. DSA is a sure thing though, and if any minor problems crop up (not likely), they will fix it for you promptly. I have no idea how long the barrel life is, but I bet you couldn't afford to wear one out. DSA has a bunch of add ons for these now, including rail handguards. Check out the falfiles.com for even more info.
Regards, Willy
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:17:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 8:19:36 PM EDT by AZ-Dave]
I had both the 58A rifle and carbine---the carbine was sold off about a year ago, accuracy was adequate for a carbine barrel (it liked South African), but the rifle, which I still have, is MUCH more accurate, it outshoots my ARS built Israeli---DSA does a good job with the 58A series.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:53:20 PM EDT
I have an early STG58 rifle and an early STG58 carbine. Both have mint Steyr barrels. Both will shoot into an inch with handloads, and around 1 1/2" with good military ball. The difference between the two is that the carbine shoots into the same area no matter what handloads I use so long as they are 150 grain bullets, or no matter what type of military ball I use. The rifle will move it's groups a bit around the target with various loads. So, say you shoot a nice tight group with British RG ball, and sight in the scope for it, then, shoot another nice tight group with Australian ball, then the long barrel will have shot a nice group, but will be a bit high and to the right. If you continue to shoot the Australian ball, then you would want to sight the scope over for that batch of Australian ammo, and just shoot that ammo until it's gone and have a great time impressing your friends. The carbine will shoot most all types into the same spot, with smaller and larger groups depending what it likes, but all groups are centered in the same spot that the scope is set to. I think it is because the carbine barrel is shorter and stiffer, and also doesn't wring the last bit of velocity (burn all the powder), out of a given load. Hope this helps. By the way, the carbine will easily make 600 yard hits on wild Nevada rockalopes and bushalopes. Hope this helps.
Willy
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:08:41 AM EDT
While I can't speak specifically on the DSAs, I can comment on carbine vs full length - as I've built a couple of each from kit guns... A carbine may - or may not - be more accurate than a full length FAL, depending on the individual rifle - but it WILL definetly lose atleast 100 to 200 FPS velocity... The carbine IS "handier", but not enough to justify losing that much performance out of the caliber, IMO... To me, the best all around configuration is the 18" barrelled FAL - doesn't lose as much velocity as a carbine, but is "handier" than a full length...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:24:33 AM EDT
Ditto to the above, FAL's have been known to plant groups in a string as the barrel heats up. This would be particularly true with the standard 21" barrel. Shorter the barrel the more rigid it is, then one looses velocity. 18" appears to be the best all around length to a number of people, I persoanlly like my 16", then I carry it around alot camping and shoot < 150 yards.

Bill
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:33:14 PM EDT
I also am very pleased with my 16" DSA. It's very handy and well balanced. Accurate too. You do lose some velocity because of the short barrel, but if you're engaging targets within 300 or 400 yards you should be fine. Even traveling a bit slower, a .308 bullet will always ruin your entire day.
Top Top