Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/11/2002 10:58:32 PM EDT
The success of the recent Long Island shoot made me jealous!

How's about CT residents on this board getting together for a shoot of our own?  My suggestion for a location is the DEP Rifle Range in Glastonbury (about 10 miles east of Hartford).

The DEP range is free to use.  It's only open to the public on Sundays, but range officers (such as myself) can use it pretty much anytime during the day.  

I was thinking of a Saturday because we'd probably have it to ourselves.  The range goes to 100 yards and there are ten stations.  You can use whatever you want as a target--except for anything that'll shatter or cause a ricochet (no photographs of politicians, either).  

Just me know either here or by e-mail if you're interested.  Once we get a few folks together, we can figure out a date.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#1]
What DEP range in Glastonbury?  Please provide details.  Locaton/address.  Contact info? I need a closer place to shoot!
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What DEP range in Glastonbury?  Please provide details.  Locaton/address.  Contact info? I need a closer place to shoot!

To get to the DEP rifle range, take exit 10 off route 2.  If you were traveling east, then turn right off the exit.  If going west, turn left.  When you come to a stop sign, turn left.  You'll come to another stop sign.  Go straight through.

Follow the road as it curves left and then right.  At the end of the road there is a dirt area with a yellow gate (the gate is open while the range is open).

Go over the first area and follow the broken pavement on the other side.  Keep looking to the left and you'll see the range.

The range is only open to the public on Sundays, but police and range officers can use it whenever we want.

The number for Sunday reservations is 860-295-9523.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
About how far is it from the Throgs Neck or Whitestone Bridge? Possible roadtrip from Long Island?

I'd say about 2 hours.  I used to live in the area (CT) and travel over those bridges to visit the in-laws in NYC.
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd be interested, when were you thinking?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#6]
How about when things cool off a bit?  Sep-Oct?
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm also interested in the shoot! Just say where & when. I've got alot of stuff going on at this time, but if I can get away I will!
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm interested too.
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#9]
i would like to go too...if available
Link Posted: 7/13/2002 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
About how far is it from the Throgs Neck or Whitestone Bridge? Possible roadtrip from Long Island?

Waverunner, Glastonbury is just south of Hartford. All you have to do is drive from LI to White Plains and then ride the rest of the way with us!
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Im in.  Let me know when !
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#12]
AR in CT??
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#13]
How about trying to get a little support from some of the New England AR manufacturers?
Quality Parts is in Maine.
Colt is only a few miles away in West Hartford.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Colt is only a few miles away in West Hartford.

Colt couldn't care less about AR enthusiasts.  To them all we are is a source of income when they need cash.

You'd have better luck with Bushmaster - but I'll bet your turnout is way to small to have them bother.

Just get together and have a shoot.  We do this often in Maryland - its alot of fun and no vendors are needed nor missed.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Any thought on the date?
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Would a week from this Sunday be okay for everyone?  That would be July 28.  The range closes to the public at 2:00, but range officers can use it pretty much anytime.  

I figured everyone could show up a little before 2:00.  Then we could close the gate and enjoy ourselves.

Let me know!
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I might be able to make it.......I've only shot with my AR 3 times so far.....should be fun.....maybe I'll learn something!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#18]
How about moving posts to MEETINGS &  EVENTS  and/or  GENERAL DISCUSSION?
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
AR in CT??

it was a serious question.  I thought AR'S were banned in CT??
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Ray, how about a car pool up there?  I'll be happy to sit shotgun, but only as long as you don't turn on any Barbara Streisand in that gay car of yours!
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#21]
FL-BOY has a good point.  Will NYS residents have any problem shooting up in CT?  The last thing I need is some half ass CT law fucking my life up for a day of shooting.  

Anyone know what the legalities are?
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Fl-Boy, only pre-ban Colt AR-15 and Sporters are "banned", we can own any other manufacturers pre-ban version of the AR, or any post-ban AR rifle.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#23]
You cannot buy ANY pre-bans in CT any longer.
Pre-bans had to be registered about 6 or 7 years ago;  and since that time NO pre-bans could be purchased by CT residents.  

All current post-bans are available.
About 10 miles away from the DEP range in Glastonbury are two shops in Newington,  Hoffman's and Newington Gun Exchange.
From a recent visit, BOTH stores each, had about
30-40 AR's in stock.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I haven't checked on the law about mags but I see lots of them in use on a public range. I do believe that they are leagal to own.
I got my Bushy from Hoffmans, they had a bunch of ar's there at the time.
Anybody else going to the shoot? Is July 28 a good date?
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Fl-Boy, only pre-ban Colt AR-15 and Sporters are "banned", we can own any other manufacturers pre-ban version of the AR, or any post-ban AR rifle.

Well, since all I have are pre-ban Colt's I guess that let's me out.....<sigh> The 93 ban in CT was worse than the 94 federal ban...ONLY colt's were banned by name..and guess where Colt is located? I swear, the world has never seen a bigger pair of a$$holes than Lowell Weicker and George Jepsen...
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Zog,
I just bought 2 pre-ban Bushamsters within the last 2 months, you're fine as long as they're not Colt pre-bans!
There are also no restrictions on magazine capacity (as long as they are pre-ban mags).
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Rag is totally correct in his statements. Only preban Colts needed to be registered, other AR's did not and still do not. A Conn resident may still purchase a preban Bushmaster for instance.
Therefore, a Ct resident may buy preban non-Colt AR's. And he is correct in that there are no restrictions on hicaps (other than the Mil/Le ones).

Helldog- the ban applies to residents. I will check, but I think that as a non-resident going to a organized shooting match, you are exempt and can bring in a preban colt as long as you have no intentions of selling it, etc..
If you want I will check. (Only because you correctly referred to Weicker and Jepsen as  a-holes.)
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#29]
You can buy ANY pre-ban firearm so long as it is not SPECIFICALLY listed on the CT banned list.  

The CT ban lists Colt AR-15's and Sporters.  You cannot buy them pre-ban or otherwise.  The list does NOT mention Bushmasters, Oly's, Armalites or otherwise.  

The list covers AK, Thompson, and MAC "TYPE" firearms.  The state police were telling dealers that it was okay to sell the SAR-1's and -2's since they are not copies and not original AK's.  There was a clarification earlier this year which states that AK "type" guns are banned from sale as well.

Again, you can still purchase pre-ban Bushies, Oly's, DPMS's, etc.  You cannot puchase Colt AR's or Sporters.

CT passed an act which extends the federal ban indefinitely.  Is also includes the same grandfather clause that the federal law does.

High capacity magazines are fine as long as they don't have the "LE only" stamp on them.

Out of state residents should be careful since the law applies to the "possession" of banned firearms.  Sorry, but I think out of staters will have to leave their Colts at home.

Anyway, July 28 is looking good.  If possible, I'd like to get a rough idea of how many people will show up.  Send me and e-mail if you can.

See you there...      

Link Posted: 7/19/2002 4:48:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Sorry, wasn't trying to hijack your thread. When in CT, I am off of route 2 in Amston, and I appreciate the info on what I can bring with me.  Was leaving all my AR's in FL, didn't know about the Glastonbury range.  I definately need more info like this.
Thanx!
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Has the date and time been finalized?
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Rag is totally correct in his statements. Only preban Colts needed to be registered, other AR's did not and still do not. A Conn resident may still purchase a preban Bushmaster for instance.
Therefore, a Ct resident may buy preban non-Colt AR's. And he is correct in that there are no restrictions on hicaps (other than the Mil/Le ones).

Helldog- the ban applies to residents. I will check, but I think that as a non-resident going to a organized shooting match, you are exempt and can bring in a preban colt as long as you have no intentions of selling it, etc..
If you want I will check. (Only because you correctly referred to Weicker and Jepsen as  a-holes.)

Mike, if you could get me an answer I'd appreciate it. And I moved to CT in '91....just in time for the income tax and the 93 ban....thanks Lowell..I moved back to NY in '98....who'da thunk it?
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#33]
People....email  blackmanta if your going to the shoot! As of 2am this morning I was the only one! It is on the 28th!
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
You cannot buy ANY pre-bans in CT any longer.
Pre-bans had to be registered about 6 or 7 years ago;  and since that time NO pre-bans could be purchased by CT residents.  

All current post-bans are available.
About 10 miles away from the DEP range in Glastonbury are two shops in Newington,  Hoffman's and Newington Gun Exchange.
From a recent visit, BOTH stores each, had about
30-40 AR's in stock.

Unless this is VERY new legislation this is incorrect.  I bought a pre-ban Bushmaster last December because "AR15" "SPORTER', and SPORTER 2", which are what is listed on the state ban as far as AR's go, are all proper nouns of course.  Consequently, only pre-ban COLT products are banned in CT.  BTW, the grace period for registration was 60 days following the ban's enactment back in October of 1993.

If there has been a change in the laws I might be wrong.  I know some crap went thought the state legislature last August, but I'm positive only .50BMG AP and API ammo was banned.

For more info call the CT State police Firearms Unit in Middletown, NOT The Department of Public Safety...these people are as useful as tits on a bull.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#35]
The shoot is definitely on for Sunday, July 28.  WEATHER PERMITTING!

Bring eye and ear protection (make sure you bring eye protection!).  Bring target, a staple gun, and large sheets of carboard.  We have frames but cardboard is always in short supply.

Handguns are fine for CT residents.  If you're bringing a CT banned firearm (asuming it's grandfathered) make sure you have the registration sheet w/ your thumbprint).  Silencer/supressors are okay (with the paperwork) but no full automatics.

The directions are as follows: take exit 10 off of route 2.  If you're going east turn right off the exit.  If you were going west turn left.  

You'll come to a stop sign.  Turn left.

Follow the road (straight through one stop sign) as it curves left and then right.

You'll come to a dirt area with a yellow gate (the gate should be open).  Go across the dirt to the broken pavement on the other side***.  

Follow the broken pavement and you'll see everyone on the left.  Park on the pavement.

Note: the range is typically open to the public from 10:00 to 14:00 on Sundays and reservations are usually a good idea.  This is an exception.  Just show up and we'll have a good time!

If there's any questions just e-mail me.

***old route 2 for you historians out there.

Link Posted: 7/20/2002 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Well, since all I have are pre-ban Colt's I guess that let's me out.....<sigh> The 93 ban in CT was worse than the 94 federal ban...ONLY colt's were banned by name..and guess where Colt is located? I swear, the world has never seen a bigger pair of a$$holes than Lowell Weicker and George Jepsen...

No. You can bring it to shoot, you just can't live there and own one without first registering it with the Gestapo. Count me in, I live in Fairfield. The 28th is good for me. Set up a poll to make the count/date preferences easier for you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. You can bring it to shoot, you just can't live there and own one without first registering it with the Gestapo. Count me in, I live in Fairfield. The 28th is good for me. Set up a poll to make the count/date preferences easier for you.

Thanks for the heads-up. The GF and I are gonna be there....I've made up "AR15.com NY Division" nametags for the next LI shoot, anybody want to suggest a logo for the "Connecticut Division"?? Maybe a nutmeg leaf. Or an insurance form?
Seriously, anybody who wants them made, email or im me with suggestions/names...
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Hello, New to the forum. Just want to get some things clarified.
-If I live outside of CT and have a preban Colt rifle, I can transported it across state lines to shoot.
-Preban bushy,oly arms and etc are available for purchase in CT. Are the preban features legal? (collapsible stock and flash hider)
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Hello, New to the forum. Just want to get some things clarified.
-If I live outside of CT and have a preban Colt rifle, I can transported it across state lines to shoot.
-Preban bushy,oly arms and etc are available for purchase in CT. Are the preban features legal? (collapsible stock and flash hider)

I'm not sure, but alot of people are saying 'yes."

I'd call the state police to make sure.

Pre-ban features are legal on pre-ban guns.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm pretty sure that the preban weapons had to be registered by a certain date and anything after that is illegal.  Although, Bushmaster and Oly arms isn't listed on the Assault rifle list, the features such as the bayonet lug, flash hider which are predominantly on preban rifles makes it an assault rifle. Hence illegal to sell and own w/in the state.  So either the buyers were very lucky to purchase one or got taken for a ride.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#41]
The archive:
www.ctsportsmen.com/legislation/AWArchive.htm

Current:
www.ctsportsmen.com/issues/sb_1402_text.htm

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure that the preban weapons had to be registered by a certain date and anything after that is illegal.  Although, Bushmaster and Oly arms isn't listed on the Assault rifle list, the features such as the bayonet lug, flash hider which are predominantly on preban rifles makes it an assault rifle. Hence illegal to sell and own w/in the state.  So either the buyers were very lucky to purchase one or got taken for a ride.

Nope. In CT an assault weapon is defined as:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms... (list)

...and for those not on the list:

Sec. 3. Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202k, inclusive, of the general statutes, as amended by this act, and section 2 of this act, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, as amended by this act, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:37:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Every store I inquired about purchasing pre-ban AR's in CT says the same thing.  "No Pre-bans can be sold to CT residents".

Where are you guys buying these pre-bans?

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Zog,
That's tha same problem I had, talking to a lot of "clueless" FFL's. I don't know what town you live in, but I will send you an e-mail. Most CT stores don't have pre-bans in stock, but if you locate one on the internet (gunsamerica, gunbroker, etc) an FFL should do the transfer for you, or if you're lucky enough to find one in CT, you can do a private sale.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Rag,
You are absolutely correct, I apologize for the mistake. All this time I was interested in preban rifles and like Zog, the gun store owners all say that it's illegal.  I found a FFL that will do a transfer on what's not listed on the CT ban.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 5:33:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Congratulations!!!
Where is he located?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#46]
That just pisses me off! I could have had a preban Olyarms right now instead of the postban one. The same gun store owner who told me the "all" preban are illegal now also said that AK clones were illegal when it was still up for debate. Prevented me from aquiring that too.
[>(][>Q]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 6:05:09 AM EDT
[#47]
I know one gun store in the state that will not get any of my business.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#48]
I believe they make more money if they sell you a new postban. I don't know about you, but I don't like even walking in Hoffman's!
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#49]
I'M in could I use a C-Mag there??? Let me know when. How many yards is the range set up for. and how many positions are there for shooting. Do they get crowded?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I'M in could I use a C-Mag there??? Let me know when. How many yards is the range set up for. and how many positions are there for shooting. Do they get crowded?

Any magazine is alright as long as it's not stamped "LE only."

There are ten slots in the range and each goes to 100 yeards.

We're not very busy this time of the year and we shouldn't have any problem.  We can always have people double up if we have to.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top