Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 6:45:05 AM EDT
Hey.  Bunch of questions for you guys!

I have a G1 FAL.  It has US made stocks, pistol grip, fire control parts and receiver.  My smith told me that I was legal with that (7 US parts).  Now for the questions:

1) I have the flash supressor that came w/ the kit.  When the ban is over, can I put it on?

2) If OK to put on the supressor and if I need another US part to be compliant, what would you recomend?  I see in Tapco US made charging handles for $5, would that cover it?  What about the US made gas pistons?  I'd be looking for a cheap US part, and easy to swap out w/ the original.

3) Regarding parts that are US made, what about the dust covers that are made for mounting scopes?  Would that count as a compliance part or not?  Are there specific parts that you can use to be compliant, and other parts that don't count?

Thanks for your help with the "rookie" questions!

Brad
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Edited to add-  TAPCO has all the parts you might need - Gas Piston is a NO BRAINER

Quoted:

I have a G1 FAL.  It has US made stocks, pistol grip, fire control parts and receiver.  My smith told me that I was legal with that (7 US parts).  Now for the questions:

1) I have the flash supressor that came w/ the kit.  When the ban is over, can I put it on?

2) If OK to put on the supressor and if I need another US part to be compliant, what would you recomend?  I see in Tapco US made charging handles for $5, would that cover it?  What about the US made gas pistons?  I'd be looking for a cheap US part, and easy to swap out w/ the original.

3) Regarding parts that are US made, what about the dust covers that are made for mounting scopes?  Would that count as a compliance part or not?  Are there specific parts that you can use to be compliant, and other parts that don't count?

Brad

OK -  After the BAN expires

Yes - it will ALL Be about Parts count !

Read this thread on the FAL FILES board   ( just easier not to repeat stuff here )

www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115149
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Are there still threads on the barrel?  If so, then you're not legal right now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 1:45:39 PM EDT
[#3]
No threads on barrel, this is the suppressor that is pushed on and then rotated to lock on a nub on the bottom of the barrel.

Thx,

Brad
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

1) I have the flash supressor that came w/ the kit.  When the ban is over, can I put it on? Yes

2) If OK to put on the supressor and if I need another US part to be compliant, what would you recomend?  I see in Tapco US made charging handles for $5, would that cover it?  What about the US made gas pistons?  I'd be looking for a cheap US part, and easy to swap out w/ the original. You have to have no more than 10 foreign made parts on it. So if you are over 10 foreign made parts, then I would suggest that you get a couple more USA parts. I would always be on the safe side and get one more USA part than you need. That way, you can change something out and you are still set. But it's about how many "foreign" parts are on the gun, not how many USA parts. You can have NO more than 10 foreign parts on the thing

3) Regarding parts that are US made, what about the dust covers that are made for mounting scopes?  Would that count as a compliance part or not?  Are there specific parts that you can use to be compliant, and other parts that don't count?No the top covers do not count in the parts count. Sorry

Brad

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
               Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
                        Washington, DC 20226

MAY 11 1998

F:SD:FTB:CHB

Dear Mr :

This refers to your letter of April 13, 1998, in which you ask about modifications to certain semiautomatic rifles.

Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.) section 922(r) prohibits assembly of certain semiautomatic rifles from imported parts.  The implementing regulation in Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, part 178, section 178.39, provides that no person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle using more than 10 of imported parts listed in paragraph(c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

Certain firearms including the MAK 90 semiautomatic rifle were prohibited from importation, on April 6, 1998, and they cannot now be assembled from imported parts as provided in the cited sections.  Such firearms which were imported or assembled prior to April 6, 1998, in compliance with the cited section may still lawfully be possessed.

Adding a pistol grip and buttstock to a MAK 90 rifle using more than 10 imported parts would still constitute assembly of a semiautomatic rifle subject to the provisions of 18 U.S.C. section 922(r) and 27 CFR section 178.39.

Adding a thumbhole stock to an AK style semiautomatic rifle using more than 10 imported parts would now also constitute assembly of a semiautomatic rifle subject to the cited sections.

A MAK 90 style rifle having a thumbhole style stock with a pistol grip, but none of the other features listed in the definition of a semiautomatic assault weapon in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(30)(B), would not meet the definition of a semiautomatic assault weapon.  The "grandfather" exemption in 18 U.S.C. section 922(v)(2) applies only to a semiautomatic assault weapon which
was lawfully possessed on the date of enactment of the statute.  A rifle which did not meet the definition of a semiautomatic on September 13, 1994, does not qualify for this exemption.  A firearm which became a semiautomatic assault weapon after September 13, 1994, is subject to the prohibition in section 922(v).

We trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry.  If you have further questions concerning this matter, please contact us.

Sincerely yours,

Curtis H.A. Bartlett
              Acting Chief, Firearms Technology Branch
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Lippo is correct.  If you already have 7 US parts, you're compliant even if you add the imported/original flash hider.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:25:08 AM EDT
[#6]

I have a G1 FAL.  It has US made stock, pistol grip, fire control parts and receiver.  My smith told me that I was legal with that (7 US parts).  

This is your part count as the BATFE will see it.
furniture/pistol grip= 2 parts
fire control= 3 parts (hammer, trigger, safety sear)
reciever= 1 part
muzzle brake= 1part

The fix is easy get a US made gas piston, when the ban sets put whatever you want or nothing on the muzzle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:27:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all!  I will get the gas piston, then slap the flash supressor on when the ban is gone!  

Thanks!

Brad
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top