Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 11:49:40 AM EDT
I have a Springfield SAR 4800 in .223 that I purchased.  It currently has an ugly thumbhole stock (my other rifles do not not want to get near the SAR 4800 for fear of the thumbhole disease being contagious!)  I would like to drop a folding stock on the rifle.  How many component parts will I have to change to be in compliance?  Any suggestions on which parts.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:28:08 PM EDT
You need a total of 6 US made parts without a FH or 7 US parts if you want a FH.

HTS (Hammer / Trigger / Sear) = 3 parts
Furniture (Hand Guards / Pistol Grip) = 2 parts
Charging Handle = 1 part
Gas Piston = 1 part

Total = 7 US made parts
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:36:47 AM EDT
There are a few Para specific parts that you will have to have in order to put a folding stock on that rifle.
Top cover
bolt carrier
recoil springs with guide
lower receiver ( a standard metric lower can be easily modified to accept a folding stock assembly)
folding stock assembly.

The upper receiver will need to be "para cut" in order for the top cover to be mounted properly and function reliably.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:24:34 AM EDT
Does the magazine count as a compliance part?  Being the rifle is .223 I can use US made mags.

Any details on how to "para cut" the upper?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:56:07 AM EDT
If you go with the DSA para folder kit it counts as 3 US made parts. If you get it with one of their scope mount top covers or a no-nose para cover you can avoid the receiver cut. If you want to do the DSA you should order ASAP if you want to get it this decade. Right now DSA has the only para parts somewhat available.
Us magazine counts for three parts.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:33:43 AM EDT
Here's the detailed scoop on the para cut...


... and the short version...

Check this thread:  www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16042&highlight=para+receiver+counterbore

Originally posted by DeanD
HatchetJoe.  Sent you an e-mail.  Like a lot of things it is easier to do it right the first time and not that expensive or difficult.  

Just buy a 19/32" four-fluted counterbore (.594 diameter) like the kind you use for allen-head bolts, and a 9/32" pilot for it (will have to polish it down a couple of thou to go in the gas piston rod hole).  Use one of those drill extensions about 12" long for 1/4" shank tools (uses an allen screw to lock in the tool) and put the counterbore in the extension.  This extra length gets you back beyond the back edge of the receiver so the chuck doesn't interfer.  Plug her in, pull the trigger to get a few hundred rpm and bore in SLOWLY so it doesn't grab until it starts cutting a full circle.  Go deep enough so the back edge of the cover is flush with the back edge of the receiver.  You got it.  Just like the FN factory cut!  Mine took about 10 minutes to do.

and this thread:  www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77854

Originally posted by TapperMan
It's a 19/32 counterbore with a 9/32 pilot. I just did mine on my drill press following DeanD's advice in this thread . I did it in steps, checking the top cover fit until it would close with the cover flush at the recoil plate. It looks perfect.

I got the piloted aircraft counterbore from MSC.

Here's the part numbers and links...

08840381  19/32 HS SS 1/8 HOLE 884 1/4 SH.AIRCR CBRE.  $24.99
08902181  9/32 BODY 1/8 SHANK PILOT  $4.1700

It's about $38 dollars with shipping. You'll probably need the 12" long 1/4" drill extension, too. It's another $2-3 at your local hardware store.Here's a link that shows the extension.

Top Top