Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2007 8:10:28 PM EDT
Have just ordered a DPMS 308 16" AP4 Carbine. Would like to lessen the kick some for the youngins a bit. I noticed I could order a Miculek Compensator with it. Has anyone had experience whether this reduced felt recoil much. They do ok with the RRA .223 carbine I have. --- For that matter, does anyone have any experience on if it actually recoils that hard. Had a CETME .308, bit heavier and still took some recovery time between shots.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Try the experts: www.brianenos.com Go to 3gun forum section.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Any of the designs that have 90-degree flats will lessen the recoil in the way you want.  Miculek, JP, PRI, MSTN, etc.  Honestly, try the Stag Arms brake that appears in their catalog, it's a very close copy of the PRI and Miculek design and is only $8.00!

Don't buy a compensator.  A true brake will have these flat surfaces that the exiting gases will impact, thus causing the rifle to be pushed away from the shooter and directly mitigating recoil.  Compensators create directional gas release and redirect gases upwards to push the muzzle down.  Compensators counter felt recoil a bit, but are mostly about speed of follow-ups.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Honestly, try the Stag Arms brake that appears in their catalog, it's a very close copy of the PRI and Miculek design and is only $8.00!

If that's true, then $8 is a steal, but I did not find it on their site - just a "stabilizer" for around $50.  But the miculek is actually quite good. I use and prefer a JP/Cooley limited legal brake. It was about $70. It is not really $62-better than a Miculek.

THe idea is to keep the dot or cross hairs as stable as possible. The best brakes will put on hole on top of another about as fast as you can pull the trigger - even on a 300 yard target.
Link Posted: 3/31/2007 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If that's true, then $8 is a steal, but I did not find it on their site - just a "stabilizer" for around $50.  But the miculek is actually quite good. I use and prefer a JP/Cooley limited legal brake. It was about $70. It is not really $62-better than a Miculek.

THe idea is to keep the dot or cross hairs as stable as possible. The best brakes will put on hole on top of another about as fast as you can pull the trigger - even on a 300 yard target.

This is it:

It's there in the on-line store under "Barrel Assemblies."

Part # 13c "Stag Comp" and it's not $8.00, but $7.50...

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#6]
JP Tank

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is it:

home.earthlink.net/~homeinvader/stag-comp-big.jpg

It's there in the on-line store under "Barrel Assemblies."

Part # 13c "Stag Comp" and it's not $8.00, but $7.50...

Excellent - thanks! Just placed an order. CBR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top