Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2001 12:15:41 PM EDT
I am thinking about picking up a copy of a colt SAA .45. From what I understand by surfing the internet, Uberti makes some decent ones.  I was looking at Cimmaron's web site, and they claim that theirs are better, although they are also made bu uberti.  Does any one have experience with these guns?  I don't want to take out a second mortgage to buy a real colt, but want somthing of quality, for a reasonable price.
thanks
AIRBORNE
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I collect SAA Colts. Here is my 2c worth. There are Colts, and copys. The ones you mentioned, are good shooters, but they will loose half their value once they leave the gunstore. Ruger Vaqueros are the best Colt copies IMO. At least they will hold value.

On the other hand, if you get hooked on SAA's you will want a genuine Colt. The min. cost is around $1200. That's off a private seller. A 3rd generation Colt SAA (new) from a dealer will most likely cost $1400-$1600+ depending on the gun. Thing is, Next year it will be worth more than what you paid unless some dealer ripps you off, (which has been known to happen)

The BIG but is: There is NOTHING like a real ColtSAA..I love them which is why I have 4 already and am looking for #5!!!

Again, just my 2c. GOOD LUCK!
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 1:05:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Uberti makes a good SAA clone. In fact Uberti makes the frames used by Colt on their SAA.

US Firearms probably makes the BEST copies

Ruger makes a good Single Action - the Vacquero - but it is very different from the "Peacemaker". Ruger uses a Coil Spring instead of a leaf spring, and the firing pin is in the frame. They are also stronger and heavier.

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#3]
go with the ruger if you cant justify a saa

i have both saa's and vaqueros and agree completely they are totaly different critters
each has their own quirks

the vaquero's are big beefy guns that will shoot and shoot and shoot and are maintainance free.  colts are lighter and require  maintance aka screw tightning ( IMO thats part of their charm )

but nothing beats the history and charm of the real thing (a colt)

on vaqueros my biggest peeve besides the internal hammer and all the other safty garbage Is you have to manipulate the cylinders to a  halfway  point in between timing notches to extract spent shells.

With colts you dont, all you have to do is flop the gate down and eject the shells. No funky manipulation required. colts also fit south paws better

In addition, the problem with a good many of the itialian repo guns is that their triggers suck for lack of a better word.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]

With colts you dont, all you have to do is flop the gate down and eject the shells. No funky manipulation required. colts also fit south paws better

Less manipulation? How so? Colt and copies require that the hammer be set at halfcock in addition to opening the loading gate. New Model Rugers only reguire the loading gate opened. I'd say that the Ruger is better there. Easier on southpaws? Care to elaborate? Never slowed me down. Hold the gun by the grip in the left hand and flip open the gate with the left thumb. Rotate the cylinder with the right hand and manipulate the ejector rod with the right fore finger. Single action school, next exit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Uberti makes the frames used by Colt on their SAA

I never heard of that! When did Colt start sub-contracting out the SAA frames?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, everyone. Of course, I'd like to buy a colt, but if I was going to spend that much on another firearm, it'd be an AR-10 or an M1A. that being said, I do want a "clone."  I like Rugers fine, and have owned a few (10/22, old army) but I would like to go as authentic as I can, without breaking my wallet. It would be mostly for plinking, Resale isn't really an issue, because I vowed sometime back to never sell anymore of my guns.  I find that kicking myself in the ass for getting rid of something I shouldn't have gets to be pain in the butt!  
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Does US firearms have a website? I looked but didn't find anything.
Thanks
BTW does anyone use .45 colt for hunting anything?
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]
The URL for US Firearms Website is: www.usfirearms.com/
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's a picture..

Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Single Action "Cowboy" Revolvers can be quite accurate...
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Try this sight as well. I have bought from them and they are a good source for replicas

http://www.iar-arms.com/index.html
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The Colt Single Actions are 100% U.S.A. Colt made.  The Uberti story started because Colt bought Uberti raw parts for Colt's blackpowder revolvers, and finished/assembled them here.

There are a number of Uberti made SAA revolvers and the US Firearms clones, but I've just never been satisfied with them.  A Colt is A COLT, by god.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top