Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2002 8:11:46 AM EDT
Does anyone know a place on the internet where you can submit your serial number or at least look it up to see where/when your gun was made? I have one that is stamped "government property US army" (or something very similar to that)on the right side of the lower reciever and I'd like to get an idea of how old it is and whether it served in any notable campaigns.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#1]
In the back of Blue Book of Gun Values. they also have a web site. You could call colt, they are good about that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#2]
try www.m1911.org/m1911dt.htm
trouble with the old mil.Colts,most if not all have been arsenal rebuilt,frame from here,slide from somewhere else,ect.
my dads got a mil.Colt,1918 frame,1942 slide.not much collector value,just a shooter.
jwr
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#3]
www.colt.com/colt/html/i_historicalservices.html

Colt web-site says this: Become a part of the history of Colt Firearms with a unique and prestigious Historical Letter documenting your Colt Firearm.

I'd ask the experts.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to all for the advice/info. I just checked out the Colt historical service, but its a little pricey. I don't expect this old gun has any value. I'm just curious, so spending hundreds of bucks having it researched would probably not be the best use of cash. Interesting info about how the army just slapped 'em back together willy nilly :) Thanks again !
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Karlg, I called colt on a gun this week, they told me the year produced and where it was sent. No cost.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:34:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks ARgon! I'll definitely give that a try!
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#7]
If you’re willing to post the first half of your SN, I might be able to track down the year it was made.  

Also, are you sure this is a Colt?  During WWII, Remington-Rand made the most 1911’s.  Ignore any markings on the slide, it may not be original.  

Are there any inspector’s initials on the left side of the frame near the slide stop?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#9]
email me your ser # range and I will tell you the year and what it's supposed to be. jc121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top