Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2001 7:16:58 PM EDT
I have a Colt Delta Elite. I love this gun, but the spring in it is incredible. It takes some major pressure to rack the slide. I figure it is like this to absorb the recoil, but was wondering if anyone knew if you can get a lighter spring. I have a colt 45 and Kimber ultra carry 45 and the spring is nothing compared to the Delta. Just wondered if anyone knew?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude you can put any full side 1991 spring in your DE but 10mm is WAY to hot for it.

Find a good gunsmith and see if there is some slide work that can be done to help.
Sometimes of you can better get a grip on the slide it's much smoother and more easy to put back.

Other than that,thats a Delta for you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:18:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Put a Bill Wilson recoil spring and buffer in your delta.....it`s still #24 but you`ll know it`s consistent............
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 5:34:14 AM EDT
[#3]
The previous posts are correct.  The 10mm is very powerful pistol round. My local range had a Delta Elite as a rental, and it cracked the slide behind the ejection port after 5,000 rounds of factory ammo.  So changing the springs to a lighter one could damage your gun.  Maybe you should lift weights or something to build up your hand/arm strenght.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#4]
HAHAHAHAHA! Ah I do lift weights quite often:) Just wondered if anyone else had the same experiences in this area. The Delta is more of a display piece than anything (ya know they don't make them anymore).
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 10:57:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes is the technique used to rack the slide.  Try this:

(If you are right-handed) Hold the slide tightly with your left hand, then PUSH THE FRAME forward with your right hand.  It helps if you are pointing towards the ground (and, of course, is safer).

It's surprising how effective this technique is.  When I first got my Les Baer, it was the only way I could rack the slide back for the first couple of hundred rounds.  They put 18.5 lb. variable strength recoil springs in there (meaning, the poundage INCREASES the more the spring is compressed).

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#6]
edblevi, I'd just leave it alone. That's one hellovagun, but warlord is right -- you'll crack it if you go to a lighter recoil spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top